I BELIEVE - another Surefire A2 Aviator convert

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A2 is a strange light. You either get it - or you don't. I'm glad to say I get it.

I'm a tough customer, you should see me at my day job.. I'm jaded to the point where I look at technology and go "nothing $#*()ing impresses me any more" (envision me saying this as I step into a trade show and you can imagine how hard a sales rep's job then becomes). To be honest, I couldn't care less if they released a 128-bit 30Ghz six-core VLIW with hardware x86-to-VLIW mapper CPU tomorrow. I SAW IT COMING. Oh, and it had BETTER be under $99 at launch. *Yawn BIG Yawn*

With lights it's a little different, I am not jaded, but I've seen quite a lot of wonderful lights pass my way. The U2 and P90 lamps inspired my sig of "life begins at 100 lumens" on another forum, and I mean it. Breakfast begins at 3000 lumens, but that's after the USL gets here. I've seen LED, I've built LED, I've seen incan, and just this evening I was tearing the night apart with an Osram 64625HLX 100W monster powered by a 40-amp capable 12V SLA with a fresh charge on it. It LITERALLY transforms night into day, it lights things as brightly as if they were under direct noontime sunlight. I've reviewed The Widget, a third-party conversion lamp assembly for C-series Surefires that gives them three LEDs, two stages and a 70+ lumen incandescent that's brighter than a P60. So a light has got to truly offer something extraordinary for me to throw down the credit card and say "charge it and ship it".

So what's the A2 got? 50 lumens, 3 LEDs, two stage output.

That's where the spec sheet ends and the A2 begins. Even to my eyes, it defies logic. The A2 is so much more than just the sum of its components, and that has convinced me that nobody else can do it the way Surefire has done it - they come close, but they still can't touch the A2.

To be honest I never really liked the Surefire E2e with MN03 lamp. Dim, yellow, and not very impressive at all. Yup, I just called it all of the above. I have an E2e-SG and it was bought as a collector's edition rather than anything else. I was looking for a LED head for it for quite a while until I got my KL1-SG. Well, stacking both of them up against each other, you can clearly see the A2 hands the E2e its rear on a platter. Brighter, WHITER, and so much more impressive.

In fact, I stacked the A2 up against the P90 and P91 lamps both running on lithium ions (to give them maximum advantage). The A2 was on honest-to-goodness Surefire SF123As. The P90 is slightly brighter - though surprisingly, not by a whole lot more, but the A2 is most definitely WHITER. It's whiter than even the P91, although the '91 is close. Whatever you've heard about the A2's perfect beam - it's true. It takes ridiculously overdriven incandescents like my Roar of the Pelican (supposed to have less than ten hours lamp life the way I drive it - to the absolute limit) to match the color temperature.

I feel the killer advantage of the A2 lies in Willie Hunt's AWESOME Low Voltage Regulator (LVR) system. Nobody else with an A2 workalike has this; nobody else comes close. The LVR enables a 50msec soft-start, enables the bulb to be driven at max power all the time, and it's regulated. It is just like me stepping out of the "Dark Ages" of LED lighting with continually dimming direct drive and into the ruler-flat regulated output of constant-current drivers, except that this time, it's for incandescents. I have newfound respect for the guy and his work. No wonder Surefire grabbed him while they could. Less explainable is why Surefire killed their C2 Digital (C2D) and M2 Digital (M2D) projects. They're in the 2002 catalog, and it is a crying shame that they never made it to production. After seeing the LVR and having it blow my socks off (and I haven't even put more than 10 minutes on this A2), I think every damn incan needs to be regulated.

That, plus I have the limited edition A2 in HA-BK. I'm a sucker for HA-BK. It's tiny, compared to my U2 and it will fit dress pants perfectly. The color matches some of my outfits perfectly - black always looks good. Plus it's two stage and the LEDs are, surprisingly, not that dim. This is coming from someone who handles hundreds of 5mm LEDs.

Normally I'm a clickie guy, but the switch on this A2 is so buttery smooth I have no objections at all. The six-position tailcap is extremely impressive, plus the quick access with ONE hand to both brightness levels is sweet. Machining, engineering, and build quality is typical Surefire - that is to say, awesome. I needn't explain it, you handle it and see for yourself. As an added bonus, some have mentioned the U2 has slightly color-mismatched HA. This A2, at least the one I now own, is absolutely perfect. It beats my U2 in terms of coloration, although I have typically never griped about it. ("In the dark nobody will notice." "Yeah but why would you be looking at in the dark?" "Isn't the dark the same reason why you're holding the U2?")

If the U2 is an utterly perfect 10 on my scale of 10, the A2 is a 9.8. I'm docking a fraction of a percentage point because I expect my lights to be rechargeable - the U2 uses my favorite high-capacity cell AND has a low-voltage cutout, whereas it's harder to run the A2 on rechargeables. However, if I am comparing to incandescents, the A2 would be a perfect 10, because it's whiter than anything else out there, regulated so the output never falls off (you should see me feeding my E2e a constant stream of fresh batteries just to get decent output for 10 minutes). I have NO problems feeding the same batteries to my A2.. it makes the most of them and I'm glad.

At half an inch longer than an E2e, and just an ounce heavier, there is absolutely NO doubt in my mind about which light I'd take into operations. It's the same weight as a G2, while delivering so much more at a price point I can live with. Last time I travelled, I brought a P61 battery eater as my incandescent in case I needed that extra punch (I had a U2 and E1e+KL1 on me). Next time, it'll be the much more amazing A2.

Yes, indeed.. I believe.

I'd also like to extend an extra special THANK YOU to matthewdanger for alerting me that the A2 HA-BK was on sale. :goodjob:

aak.sized.jpg

aao.sized.jpg

aap.sized.jpg

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nicely written post! You made me consider yet again getting an A2, just change the following words:
"...LITERALLY transforms day into night..." :huh2:

In your post and send it to SF stories for a chance to win another SF product.

AlexGT

Last edited:

WDR65

Enlightened
The A2 was the Surefire that considered the most important to own for a long time, I find it the most useful one that I own so far. I owned several E and P series before I bought my A2 and after I bought it I found myself either selling or trading most of them. I don't remember a specific reason, but they just didn't seem as bright or as useful anymore. I kept my E2d but upgraded to a KL1 and I have an E2o to keep in my hunting gear for deer season, but those are now technically the only standard Surefire's I own.

The Aviator has taken away my need for full size standard lithium lights in a 2 cell configuration. I do use my 3 cell lights often for longer range illumination that the A2 can't do as well, but for 90% of my weekly use the A2 covers it all. It still amazes me how well built it is and how it keeps that constant level of white light.

I don't own a U2 yet and it will likely be a while before I can afford to buy one, but even with one I believe that for a lot of the tasks I do outdoors the A2 will stay at the top of my list. Glad to see someone else has discovered how useful they are. Nice post by the way.

Last edited:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
AlexGT: Thanks for pointing it out, I fixed it.

WDR65: Yup, I plan to still keep my 3-cell lights but everything in the 2-cell incandescent category has now been pipped by the A2 - and that's coming from someone who owns no less than nine SF lights with an even mix between LED and incan. The U2 projects a big shield of light to around 40-50 yards, but the A2 can launch its beam much further - it throws better. If you're outdoors perhaps you might like the A2 better. The U2's wall of light can make it a little bit difficult to see especially if the area is very foggy.

Get the limited edition while you guys still can. It's much cheaper since it's being closed out, too.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I hadn't already owned one, you would have sold me. In black no less. :)
And I agree with the high points you have made. I tend to like LED's better, but for this category the A2 is the hands down winner.

sbebenelli

Enlightened
KevinL said:
Get the limited edition while you guys still can. It's much cheaper since it's being closed out, too.

Excuse my ignorants. Who has these on sale?

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin,

Thank you for your beautifully written and insightful description of the A2. It was a pleasure to read.

There was a thread a while back, that I probably can't find now (if you have the link, I would be much obliged), about the A2 and rechargeables. What is the latest on that? In your opinion, is there a reliable rechargeable option for the A2?

Failing that, with the A2's regulation, is it a good candidate for getting some good and efficient use out of the partially drained Cr123 primary cells I have lying around?

That black A2 is beautiful, and perhaps I am starting (again....sigh) the well-known CPF internal rationalizing process---en route to a purchase.

Thanks,

Andrew

sbebenelli

Enlightened
AlexGT said:
Do you know how much they charge for shipping to the US?
I was trying to figure that out too. It does not say in there shipping info. I registered with them thinking it might say in the checkout but it doesn't. It asks for CC number.

WDR65

Enlightened
According to someone else's post in the Collections section they paid $16 dollars for shipping. So a total of $135, which is five dollars less than my regular HA A2 was from a local dealer without tax, I sure do wish I was doing that again instead of five months ago. Look under Collection SF- All Black!... in the collections forum.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, there is a shipping charge. I am closer to where they are (Hong Kong) than CONUS, so I did not pay as much as Seattlite.

They will ask you to confirm your purchase by email, so you still have time to change your mind after being informed of the shipping costs, but it's still worth it though, considering how heavily discounted the light is.

Congratulations on your new purchase :D

AFAustin: Some folks run their A2 on 2xR123 cells, personally I'm a little bit wary of doing that because of the risk of blowing the LEDs or shortening their lifespan. Some others recommend removing the LED ring to be safe. I'll stick to my CR123s for this light.. while I love rechargeables I guess I got to make one exception for this light. It would make a good candidate for using up partially drained CR123s too.

X33

Enlightened
We are on the same wavelength then, sbebenelli..... :)

seattlite

Enlightened
AFAustin said:
Kevin,
There was a thread a while back, that I probably can't find now (if you have the link, I would be much obliged), about the A2 and rechargeables. What is the latest on that? In your opinion, is there a reliable rechargeable option for the A2?

Thanks,

Andrew

I have both a A2-HA-WH and the A2-BK-WH and both work PERFECTLY(no damge to the LED's) with MP branded unprotected RCR123(4.2V). I know that "leukos" and "cy" have posted using other branded RCR123's with their A2's. Here are some links:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=89528
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=87768
I also have link to another forum that posts their results using RCR123's in their A2. PM if interested.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just checked my email and it says total $119 and clicked on the link it supplied and yet it still says $119 total, Are you sure they charge you for shipping? I think shipping is included!!!

Here is an edited copy of email confirmation:

"Supreme Co." <[email protected]> wrote:
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 00:54:59 +0800
To: "AlexGT" (Edited to erase email address)
Subject: Order Process

Supreme Co.
------------------------------------------------------
Order Number: 2XXX(Edited last 3 digits)
Detailed Invoice: (Edited to erase link)
Date Ordered: Monday 12 September, 2005

Products
1 x SureFire A2 Aviator, Black, Limited Edition (A2-BK-WH) = US$119.00
Total: US$119.00

Delivery Address (Edited to erase actual address)
AlexGT
Houston, TX 770XX
United States

Billing Address (Edited to erase actual address)
AlexGT
Houston
United States

Payment Method
Credit Card

seattlite

Enlightened
AlexGT said:
I just checked my email and it says total $119 and clicked on the link it supplied and yet it still says $119 total, Are you sure they charge you for shipping? I think shipping is included!!!
The website nor email does not have the shipping charges, but rather, Supremeco will email you with a .jpg of a sales agreement, and you will have to sign and fax/email back the document. This sales agreement included the shipping charge. The A2 I received was shipped the equivalent of the US' Global Overnight(Priority) Mail.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
seattlite said:
I have both a A2-HA-WH and the A2-BK-WH and both work PERFECTLY(no damge to the LED's) with MP branded unprotected RCR123(4.2V). I know that "leukos" and "cy" have posted using other branded RCR123's with their A2's. Here are some links:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=89528
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=87768
I also have link to another forum that posts their results using RCR123's in their A2. PM if interested.

seattlite,

Thanks for the links.

Andrew

Latest posts