I BELIEVE - another Surefire A2 Aviator convert

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did the calculator on HK post and turned out to be about HK dollars=120 US dollars=15.43 do the numbers sound right?

cy

Flashaholic
no question, A2 is one sweeet light!

this is killing me.. blk HA A2 for only $119.

I'm going to regret passing this one. my HA nat A2 is already filling the bill.

no problems running R123 so far. for some reason A2 has tighter tolarances for cells. so only certain R123's will fit in. sure you can force most any R123 in, but then you gotta get it out..

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
cy said:
no question, A2 is one sweeet light!

this is killing me.. blk HA A2 for only $119.

I'm going to regret passing this one. my HA nat A2 is already filling the bill.

no problems running R123 so far. for some reason A2 has tighter tolarances for cells. so only certain R123's will fit in. sure you can force most any R123 in, but then you gotta get it out..

Are the people using R123s in the A2 using only the unprotected variety? I'm wondering if my 750mAh protected 123s from AW would work---both in view of the protection circuit, as well as size-wise?

cy

Flashaholic
inexperienced li-ion users should not use bare cells, especially in a series.

alway use protected cells when ever possible. seems this is one of few instances where only bare li-ion cells will fit. if anyone has discovered what brand protect R123 will fit A2. please post.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The A2 is an amazing flashlight without a doubt!

When I heard SureFire had made the A2 in Black HA I just had to get one.
I believe only 100 were made but I don't recall my source or whether that information is accurate.

Al

P33.jpg

WDR65

Enlightened
GarageBoy,
No it doesn't throw any farther than any of those, at least not initially. It might edge out the MN03 in the E2e after a few minutes when the E2's batteries can't mantain the same level of output. I'm fairly certain it will not outthrow the P60/P90, but it does have the whitest light of any incandescent I own throughout the entire time the batteries have enough juice to power the lamp. My P90 starts out as white or a bit better than the A2's lamp, but after about 10 minutes you can really tell a difference. Its too bad that Surefire hasn't put their other regulated incandescents on the market, I'd love to have another light that's bit brighter but with the same regulation.

Dudley

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the email I got, the product is SF A2-BK-WH WH=White AFAIK, so yes I think they are white, but let's get someone more knowledgeable to tell us.

HTH
AlexGT

Torchaholic

Newly Enlightened
AlexGT,

Yes, it comes with white LED, they only have that colour in stock (I personally asked them, only an hour journey from where I live)

Incidentally the one I got last month have a fairly 'BIG" oval beam shape (as compare to the spare bulb I got last week, the first one they tested was a 'dud' no apparent broken filament, but tested to be defective! Lucky they test them first before selling them)

I think the A2 is beyond compare to any other incans of similar size around!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size15's said:
The A2 is an amazing flashlight without a doubt!

When I heard SureFire had made the A2 in Black HA I just had to get one.
I believe only 100 were made but I don't recall my source or whether that information is accurate.

Al

Wow, regardless of whether the number is so small, I'm glad I shut up and paid up :D

I did notice the serial number of your A2 in one of the photos you posted is very close to mine. All of ours start with A14xxx, perhaps it's from a similar batch, I dunno (just conjecture).

Either way, I must say I like it, even though I have had the chance to play with so many other amazing lights and I own the U2 which was readily expected to eclipse the A2, but didn't.

The A2 uses older Nichia 5mm white LEDs, -WH does indicate white LEDs. I specifically wanted white, too.

I know someone who's upgraded his A2 to 26K mcds (theoretically 35Ks should fit, just that it's never been tried), though I myself don't feel the need to tamper with perfection. :)

Last edited:

falconz

Newly Enlightened
Arghhhh... Someone stoooppp me....!!!!
already overdriven my budget this month but after coming across this thread I just can`t help but feeling like ordering one...

KevinL: If the A2 arrived last sat n u brought it to the gathering, I just might give in to temptation!!!

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin, I agree 100% with your comments. I was impressed with the a2 and I still am. I'll never sell it unless something terrible happens.

The problem I have with my a2 is what to do when the batteries won't light up the incan. Those batteries still measure about 2.9-3.0 volts. Any suggestions for another light or device I can use those half dead batts in?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Al: yeah yeah, the official line, I heard that coming ;) Come on Al, leave me to my own creative unfounded misassociation of completely unrelated events! :D :D (just kidding)

falconz: The A2 wasn't available in time for that one, but there will always be another meeting for you to cave in :D (I wanted to test its throw too)

Grox: the batteries typically hold their voltage well until the end, but cannot supply as much current - so even when drained they still register 2.7-2.9V. Though I have things like my KL1 and HDS Basic 60 - the B60 is a heck of a battery eater.