Re-badged Costco HID by late November - Announcement Post Made!

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re-badged Costco HID by late November - Now HF HID

I just thought I would let everybody know that a re-badged Costco HID will be avialable by late November. Due to non-disclosure agreements between the manufacturer and the distributor, the manufacturer cannot say who the new distributor will be or the profit margins that distributor will be targeting (i.e. what the target retail price will be.)

I can say that I have been told the hinge has been re-designed.

This is ALL the manufacturer can say until the lights are on the market again.
I got specific permision directly from the manufacturer to make this general announcement.

It should give everybody that wanted a Costco HID and could not get one hope.

Something else I can say, because it is already public record, is that Wendy posted on this forum in the past that Costco sold the lights at their cost. That certainly is not likely to happen again. However, most of the people that I know that have Costco HID's, myself included, would say they are easily worth more then the price Costco sold them for.

I hope this is a bit of good news and the distributor gets these lights out by their target date, just in time for the Christmas excuse for buying new lights season. :D

Take Care All,
mtbkndad :wave:

Last edited:

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Re-badged Costco HID by late November

in the past that Costco sold the lights at their cost. That certainly is not likely to happen again

Man, it's just like the drug trade :) Give them the first hit for cheap or free and then raise the price! Well it worked, cause I'll be watching for these to arrive on the alternative coast from where they were :D

StuGatz

Enlightened

Thanks for the heads up.

Target retail price...Target market...Target date...

mtbkndad, are these hints as to the distributor???

All the best,

Stuart

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry for the confusion, but that is not a hint.
It was my way of condensing a rather long explanation as to why the distributor could not be revealed. I was not told who the distributor will be. Also, the actual correspondence did not leave out the possibliity that the distributor is not the same as the retailer.

What was clear is-

1. I do not believe the even manufacturer knows exactly what these will retail for at this point.
2. As soon as these are in the retail channel I will be informed of the name and locations so I can pass this information on to everybody.

Once again I apologize for any possible mis-understanding using the word target may have had.

Take Care,

thorsider

Newly Enlightened

Hi, anyone can post again this manufacturer site?
THanks!

StuGatz

Enlightened

mtbkndad,

I didn't intend to infer that you were unclear or coy. Just joking with you a bit. Thanks again for the heads up.

It is interesting and good that these lights are becoming more prevalent, etc. And it would be nice if the price ends up being similar as the Costco price.

Take care,

Stuart

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Seems like an item one would find at Pep Boys or Kragen. Those're my guesses.

Edit: Forgot to mention Sears! Another possibility.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

It's nice to know that the product re-launch will include an improved hinge. I've seen too many "new and improved" products that are anything but. Kudos to them for listening to the users.

Zippy

Newly Enlightened

Sweet. I will be watching this thread closely...

Kwizatz Haderach

Newly Enlightened

Anyone have a personal opinion between the 15Mcp Thor and the old 35wHID?

My last big light was a Coleman 1.5Mcp 100watt with a rather large reflector that had a knurled focusing knob directly behind the bulb.

I'm ready for my next light and wondering if I should wait for the HID. Size of the reflector is not an issue, if I can lug it out of the car, that's good enough.

mckevin

Enlightened

Wait, or (has to be said) buy 'em both... :devil:

Kwizatz Haderach said:
Anyone have a personal opinion between the 15Mcp Thor and the old 35wHID?

My last big light was a Coleman 1.5Mcp 100watt with a rather large reflector that had a knurled focusing knob directly behind the bulb.

I'm ready for my next light and wondering if I should wait for the HID. Size of the reflector is not an issue, if I can lug it out of the car, that's good enough.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mckevin's second statement is my advice too. :D
The Costco HID has a whiter and more intense beam and there are times that is very desirable. The 15 MCP Thor turns on instantly and is not that much less powerful. In some circumstances the more yellow beam of the 15 MCP Thor will be very desireable. Not only that, but the 15 MCP Thor is inexpenxive and available now. There are still numerous ?'s that have to be answered about the Re-Badged Costco HID.

Who will be selling them?
Will they meet their target date?
What will the price be?

PLus it is always good to have a backup.

Take Care,

CLHC

Flashaholic

Greetings Sir Daniel! If it happens to be in your area first before up here, could I incite you to do as was done with the Costco HID?

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast

CHC,
That depends, as you know, last time I delivered 4 up north personally on my birthday.
I call that my roughly $500, 1000 mile, birthday trip to get a really nice free $30 .5 watt flashlight. But I am not a flashaholic :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:. I lucked out as one of the members up there gave me one model so I could choose the other and then my daughter that prepped the Chinese Chicken Salad for me could choose the one she wanted. So the trip only cost me around $250 a light. See that is definitely not a flashaholic
:stupid: . The reason for the extra miles was my friend Yutaka and I also drove to the world headquarters of AmondoTech :D , Apple Computer, Yahoo, Ebay, Google, Adobe, Oracle, and that little city known as the Cisco Complex just for the fun of it on one day. We also went up to the San Fransisco bay another day. How long do cars last driving through San Fransisco daily?
About a month? :duck:

Your group up there is a blast to hang out with so it would be tempting, but I probably won't have the funds for a trip like that in the real near future.

However, if you mean pick some up and ship them up yes.
I think these will probably be marketed better this time or hopefully at least more universally available.

We will soon see.

Take Care,
Daniel

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast

maybe they'll even come to the east coast. there's 3 cosco's within a 50 mile range that i know of!

Darell

Flashaholic

mtbkndad said:
How long do cars last driving through San Fransisco daily?
About a month? :duck:
Approximately forever - provided they're electric and don't rely on internal combustion, a transmission or traditional brakes. But I digress...

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast

Darell said:
Approximately forever - provided they're electric and don't rely on internal combustion, a transmission or traditional brakes. But I digress...

Darrel,
I busted up laughing when I read your post. :laughing::laughing::laughing: I asked a friend who drives up to San Fransisco regularly what she does. Her answer was "I am not crazy, I find a place to park for the duration of my trip and use the the trollies and other transit opitons, anything but my car." :hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

Take Care,
Daniel

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Anything new on this rebadged Costco-HID light? Can the distributor been named? Price?
:popcorn: