A camping plus light ...

draghkar

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so I'm lurked here for a long time, but never posted (and have to get rid of that red screen) so here's my situation.

I have several bike lights, but I'll need something a little different. I'll be doing some overnight bike touring & camping thru the spring & summer, in prep for a longer 2 week plus tour. I generally won't be riding in the dark, but I may need some light around dusk. (my blinkies should get me seen).
So what I'm looking for is something that runs off AAs, light weight is good, has a flashing mode in case I get caught around dusk. It should have enough throw to pick out camping spots, and a low setting to read with under the tarp.
My initial research is pointing me to the 4seven Quark. I have plenty of time to test it out, but any input on my choice would be appreciated...thanks!

gothed

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased a 4sevens quark, I do not think you will regret it. Although you mentioned otherwise, I would suggest the CR123, I find the form factor of the 123^2 nicer then that of the AA^2, plus better performance and less weight, and more reliable cold weather performance.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Zebralight SC51 is very versatile, and I like the user interface. Just remember to unscrew the tailcap if you are carrying it in your pocket or in a pack where it could get accidentally switched on.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with the QuarkAA or Zebralight H51. Both have very nice low low modes with crazy long runtimes ~300hrs w/1xAA for camping, and maintaining night vision. The ZL H series is a headlamp, that doubles as a fine EDC flashight, and even without the headband, the 90-degree angle w/clip allows for all sorts of hands-free use. With the Quark, you can get an extra 2xAA body which gives you more power and 50% more runtime (1+1=3), not to mention the AA^2 body makes a great spare batt container. Chances are you'll be bringing other AA devices, if so, stick with AAs over 123s, ability to share, swap and cannibalize is important when you're off-grid.

The frequency on the Quark's strobe is kinda too fast for use a bike light... people will think you're a cop or something... the ZLs is much slower.

sniper

Enlightened
MiniMag LED; Inexpen$ive, bright, high & low modes, flashing mode, compact, easily carried. Terralux Brightstar 220...bright, dim. I like both the MMag and Terralux.

Last edited:

draghkar

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses... Good advice, except for the mini-mag recommendation (cause I already have one, so what's the fun if I can't buy a new light?). I might consider the cr123 now. The batteries are small and a few sets would probably not be an issue (don't know how available they are in Australia, where I'll be going)

I will definitely bring the mini-mag as a backup though.