A cure for flashoholism

Dynacolt

Enlightened
um......
Why is anyone looking for a cure?
I don't see the medical fraternity looking for a cure for a reliance on breathing or eating...
I think folks have got it the wrong way 'round - perhaps it should be:
"flashaholism is escaping me. How do I get it back?"

I know I often tend towards the pitfalls of hifi gear or knives or cars or other petty foibles, but I can always take comfort in the knowlege that a quick visit back here will get me right back on track :D

Dave.

Muddquez

Newly Enlightened
Cure? There is no cure. This is embedded into the male gene. Since I was about ten years old and found that coupon in the paper for a free 5 "D" cell flashlight from Radio Shack, I haven't been able to stop playing with flashlights. There is no cure
RS00003.jpg
for me.
2725253258_b0189d8357_o.jpg

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using a super cheap 1AA incan lately to run down my LSD AA's and they have been running surprisingly long and even though the amount of light is tiny, it is actually useable in the dark.
An incandescent seems like a very bad idea for a battery vampire. Besides, there's not much point in running down LSD NiMH cells - they'll be happier if you just recharge them when needed.

Try RC helicopters......
Running around 50$ a crash + = no more money for lights
+1, except I can't really afford the big helicopters and wouldn't really have any large open spaces to run them in even if I could. Instead, I keep lusting after the tiny indoor ones... there are some 3ch ones now that are ridiculously cheap ($20!) and seem to actually work. Might order one or three...

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast

I MUST get one of those :laughing:

Cure? There is no cure. This is embedded into the male gene. Since I was about ten years old and found that coupon in the paper for a free 5 "D" cell flashlight from Radio Shack, I haven't been able to stop playing with flashlights.

It started with an old Fisher price (I think) light that took a couple of C cells and had a red/green filter, and some old lights my father gave me (including a 2xAAA energizer/eveready penlight I wish I still had). But I only had cheap incans until very recently.

Jaygnar

Newly Enlightened
I agree with the OP as to the usefulness of older lights. I still have a bunch of old 2D mags that are non-LED and they serve just as well for around the house for general stuff as they ever did. I think that the real "cure" if there is one is contentment. Once you have the bases covered with lights that will do what you need in virtually all reasonable situations, you're covered. Of course the (WOW) factor lights and collectibles and things like that will never leave you satisfied. :p

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find it fun to occasionally turn on a very old incan to see how far we are ahead of normal (non flashaholics) people. I keep mine around for that purpose and as lender lights to people I can't even trust with a 5mm LED light :)

fireboltr

Enlightened
+1, except I can't really afford the big helicopters and wouldn't really have any large open spaces to run them in even if I could. Instead, I keep lusting after the tiny indoor ones... there are some 3ch ones now that are ridiculously cheap ($20!) and seem to actually work. Might order one or three...

Got some good news for you then (bad news for the wallet). you can get into a full 3d ready 400 size machine (aprox 27" main rotor) for around 400$ now (i.e. blade 400). Wich luckily is plug and pray......everything included 2.4ghz radio system(spektrum dx6i *great radio*), battery, charger, motor, esc, and the air frame.......

Tomcat!

Enlightened
Cure? There is no cure. This is embedded into the male gene. Since I was about ten years old and found that coupon in the paper for a free 5 "D" cell flashlight from Radio Shack, I haven't been able to stop playing with flashlights. There is no cure
RS00003.jpg
for me.
2725253258_b0189d8357_o.jpg

Oooh I had one of those! Finding enough pocket money to buy the D cells was always a pain.

Now you've got me thinking about my own flashaholism. I think it started when I was still a young 'un at school and Radio Shack (trading under the name Tandy in the UK but selling all their branded stuff) used to send out fliers every fortnight advertising their wares, and at the back there was always a coupon for a free red plastic AA side-by-side torch with a black plastic roll switch. As my nearest Tandy was 20 yards from our place I'd go there every other week for my free torch. I don't know what the guys at the shop thought I was doing with them, but because I'd have at least one with me all the time and lots squirrelled away around the house I'd unwittingly got into EDC and emergency preparedness without knowing such things existed.
So it's Tandy's fault for giving crack to a minor. :eek:
Oh the repressed memories!

g36pilot

Enlightened
Not married to her yet.....
Problem is she knows what they are all costing and I am not about to lie to her....
Good thing is she likes good flashlights as well but not alot of them.....On another note i have started to get her into rc airplanes....

Make sure all your flashlights are black and never have more than several in sight at a time. That special non-flashaholic of yours will have a hard time keeping count as they all look similar. :)

My wife likes good flashlights also. If she notices the model/type diffs between the different physical size classifications of lights, it isn't mentioned. Perhaps my technique is working.

G36

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got some good news for you then (bad news for the wallet). you can get into a full 3d ready 400 size machine (aprox 27" main rotor) for around 400$ now (i.e. blade 400). Wich luckily is plug and pray......everything included 2.4ghz radio system(spektrum dx6i *great radio*), battery, charger, motor, esc, and the air frame.......
I'm very much aware of that, but I still can't afford it. Not that I'm poor, but I don't currently have an income, so I feel uncomfortable blowing $400 of savings in a toy. I should have an income shortly, but right now $25 or so for a 3ch indoor model is as much as I can spend...

brucec

Enlightened
Make sure all your flashlights are black and never have more than several in sight at a time. That special non-flashaholic of yours will have a hard time keeping count as they all look similar. :)

G36

And keep half at your office. Seriously, I don't view flashoholism as a bad thing. It's healthier than alcoholism and certainly much cheaper than Louis Vuittonolism. Trust me...

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried that. All it did was get me interested in guns, knives, AND flashlights! :crackup:

LOL, thirded. I just couldn't resist that Buck/Strider deal someone posted to Marketplace. It totally matches my frankencombatlight 6P. And that's the cheapest in recent memory; the previous was a Buccaneer by Angel Sword.