A quality thrower

camaro09

Enlightened
Hello. I used to be a fairly active member but haven't been around for a while. Im at a point I'd like to get back in the world of flashlights. Currently, I am looking for a high quality thrower. I have owned a few malkoff lights in the past that got stolen out of my truck. I am looking at the Malkoff Hound Dog Super but wondering if anything is available with more throw but similar build quality and size. Looking for a price of no more than $300-400. If not I'll probably get the Super. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you considered trying out an LEP flashlight? Lep = laser excited phosphor.
Weltool, Jetbeam, Fenix and a few other companies make versions of them.

Alternatively if you want to stick with led, the Acebeam L19 is a really good thrower with just a hint of spill as it uses a large tir optic.

I wouldn't put any of these at malkof level quality, but all the LEP flashlights I own feel like they more than earn that $300 price tag.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
wondering if anything is available with more throw but similar build quality

Not within your price point

Super Hound Dog just does everything well. It's not the best at any one thing, but it does everything well and doesn't quit.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

Alternatively if you want to stick with led, the Acebeam L19 is a really good thrower with just a hint of spill as it uses a large tir optic.

I wouldn't put any of these at malkof level quality, but all the LEP flashlights I own feel like they more than earn that $300 price tag.
+

BrightLumenShop has a huge coupon today CYBER33 for 33% off!! https://www.brightlumenshop.com/
That's on the thick end of coupons.

They sell Weltool LEP

Had to sign for a package today from them(y)(y)

camaro09

Enlightened

Thank you. I might hafta check the LEP lights out. I was hoping for a USA made light but the L19 looks like a possibility option.

camaro09

Enlightened
Not within your price point

Super Hound Dog just does everything well. It's not the best at any one thing, but it does everything well and doesn't quit.
What would be a longer thrower with similar size and build quality to malkoff that would be at a higher price point? I might hafta pick up a hound dog super regardless because it seems like a really nice light.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
What would be a longer thrower with similar size and build quality to malkoff that would be at a higher price point? I might hafta pick up a hound dog super regardless because it seems like a really nice light.

Surefire Dominator comes to mind.

I'm not well versed in the professional search and rescue light scene where throwers with 100% dependability are critical.
Most professional search and rescue lights are bigger with battery packs....but maybe the same brands make a handheld.

The limiter to LED throwers is that they must adhere to physics....to throw a beam you need a little LED and a big reflector. The bigger the reflector the further it throws. There's no way around it. LEP is a different ballgame. The smaller the LED in proportion to the size of the reflector the further it will throw.

Last edited:

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Theres not much out there that´ll outlast a hound dog, at any price point, but some that will out throw it. If you throw enough lumens at a wall some of it is bound to stick.
If you´re willing to go HID or incandescent there are some options (polarion comes to mind), some DIY solutions (some Maglite mods for example). Of cause all inherently more fragile and runtimes wont be great

Armytek offers their barracuda, which is pretty similar to a hound dog in many ways & with a large reflector. Could be a budget alternative? Ill get one eventually & compare them side by side. Right now play-money is bound up in Christmas presents for family.

For a no-nonsense solution that wont quit a HD super is hard to beat.

thebarefooter

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for the same thing. USA made quality thrower. The UDR dominator is really expensive and huge. Even if it was half the cost the size is a turn off to me. I really wish SF would make a modern version of the M3LT that would run two 18650's or 4 cr123's. I love my old M3LT-S but it's 10+ years old, a new version could be very impressive.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for the same thing. USA made quality thrower. The UDR dominator is really expensive and huge. Even if it was half the cost the size is a turn off to me. I really wish SF would make a modern version of the M3LT that would run two 18650's or 4 cr123's. I love my old M3LT-S but it's 10+ years old, a new version could be very impressive.
For North American made on a budget, Pelican makes some pretty good lights though I don't think they throw like the malkoff.
Streamlights larger lights are still made in the USA, the Stinger and polystinger are pretty capable.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Just found this topic. Honestly, if Made in The USA is very important to you.... Yeah, that SureFire UDR Dominator is going to be your absolute best (and practically) only option.

thebarefooter

Newly Enlightened
Just found this topic. Honestly, if Made in The USA is very important to you.... Yeah, that SureFire UDR Dominator is going to be your absolute best (and practically) only option.
Yea. It's really too bad surefire does not offer anything like a new version of the M3LTS from about 10 years ago. I'd pay 400-600 for a quality offering from them but the dominator is crazy expensive, too many buttons and that tube with 12 cr123's is silly. A 4 cr123s or two 18650 body would be ideal.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlights larger lights are still made in the USA, the Stinger and polystinger are pretty capable
Aside from the Stinger 2020 (the newest), which is assembled in U.S.A., the only other Stingers I see that currently are are the original (very old), and the 3 Polys. The other 7 models all indicate 'assembled in China'. With SL, one cannot assume or generalize - ya gotta look. I have no issue with that personally, just correcting the record.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aside from the Stinger 2020 (the newest), which is assembled in U.S.A., the only other Stingers I see that currently are are the original (very old), and the 3 Polys. The other 7 models all indicate 'assembled in China'. With SL, one cannot assume or generalize - ya gotta look. I have no issue with that personally, just correcting the record.
That's good to know, I don't have any China made stingers available in my area. Up until now I haven't come across any

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of my throwers are chinese because that's where most throwers are built.
My longest thrower is a Thrunite TN31
You can get a Convoy C8 with a W1 for $25 shipped.
You just can't beat that.
Convoy has a few super throwers but they'll be around $90

WDR65

Enlightened
Maglite ML150LR is an option that's U.S.A. made. I've been using mine nightly since I got it as a gift in October. Throw wise it's one of the best I've ever used. My Stanley fat max spotlight might throw further but not by much and it's a lot less conducive to carrying around.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite ML150LR is an option that's U.S.A. made. I've been using mine nightly since I got it as a gift in October. Throw wise it's one of the best I've ever used. My Stanley fat max spotlight might throw further but not by much and it's a lot less conducive to carrying around.
oh dang. I didn't know that one existed. Definitely a great option