A2L, LX2, HDS Rotary

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh boy, what is the deal with that E1b?! What did you do to it and so I dont have to ask, what does that mean? What kind of beam is that throwing out. Did he take out the TIR optics? Is it even more of a thrower now? Excited.

He left the stock emitter in it. He replaced the circuitry. Still two level but programmable. Runs on an RCR123. It is putting 200 lumens out the front. Still has the TIR optic in it, and it is a heck of a thrower. Black E1B head, black E1 body, and an E2D tailcap.

Here is more info from my original post when I got the light.

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two completely different beam patterns. The HDS is more of a thrower due to a deeper, wider reflector. The SC60 is more flood with a bigger spot due to a much more shallow, narrower reflector. The SC60 is brighter in the closet bounce test, but the HDS out throws it easily. I like both of their beam characteristics very much. They are both flawless.

Thanks. That's what I thought so too. Been eyeing the SC60w as a floody companion to my HDS rotary. The neutral white would make it more useable for my outdoors trips. I do have the high CRI clicky but I am itching to get the SC60w even though I don't quite like how it may get activated in my rear pocket. Had that experience with the SC50w+ which I sold away just a few weeks after acquiring it. But now, I feel like trying my luck again with the SC60w.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
My SC60 does come on when its in my front pocket. Very rarely however. And I have found that turning it like, 1/12" of an inch really isnt a big deal. When I take it out I can just twist it in one hand anyways, kind of like activating and going through the modes on the rotary.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its somewhat crazy, and although I dont have the rotary I really think it might be on par with the SC60. The zebralight, although 1/3 the cost, I feel is very similar in performance to the rotary. It's putting out around 300 lumens and has a very simple interface. You can get to essentially 6 different modes in less than 3 seconds. Now I understand the build quality is obviously far from that of the HDS, but I still think its an interesting comparison. It has a moonlight mode for all intents and purposes as low as the HDS, and a max mode that is brighter than the HDS, for alot longer. Its also a virtually perfect beam, on the floody side. Anyone have both? I do have the SC60 for the record, and for the functionality that the HDS provides Im not sure I can justify dropping 200 bones for it. Even though I know I will. But if you give the two lights to someone who doesn't know how much each costs, would it be that apparent that the HDS is over 3x as much?

I don't have an SC60, but if the moon-mode on the SC60 is like my SC51w, then it's still at least twice as bright as I'd like it to be and the PWM frequency is low enough that it bothers even me (and I'm normally fairly insensitive to PWM unless I'm looking for it). I can't see the flickering, but I can tell that it's harder for my eyes to focus with it verses my HDS Clicky or Quark AA at a similar output level (both of those lights use current control to achieve their moon modes).

--flatline

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have an SC60, but if the moon-mode on the SC60 is like my SC51w, then it's still at least twice as bright as I'd like it to be and the PWM frequency is low enough that it bothers even me (and I'm normally fairly insensitive to PWM unless I'm looking for it). I can't see the flickering, but I can tell that it's harder for my eyes to focus with it verses my HDS Clicky or Quark AA at a similar output level (both of those lights use current control to achieve their moon modes).

--flatline

Oh yeah..... The PWM on the lowest level is miserable, but I just ignore it. They could, and should do something about that, but I still love both my SC51(which has crappy PWM at the lowest level also) and SC60.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
I cant say Im 100% certain as to what you guys are talking about, my the moon mode on my SC60 goes to .2 lumens. That is the same as my Quark Turbo. I don't notice any flickering of anything of the sort. Just a very dim constant brightness that in the case of my SC60 lasts for 42 days. That isn't bad. Oh ya, another benefit the ZL has over the rotary is that it takes an 18650.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Tommy. Some people are more sensitive to PWM flickering than others. If it doesn't bother you, that is a plus for you. I prefer current control, but I like the ZL's so much that I just ignore the PWM flicker.

BTW....PWM + Pulse-width Modulation. You can Google to find it.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own a Zebralight, I do own the HDS rotary. Does the Zebralight compete with HDS in terms of programability options (besides having more presets), customer service, toughness, water resistance, and other features (temp sensors, switch quality, burst mode, button lock, etc.). What is the warranty on Zebralights?

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. Here are the beam shots I promised. All XP-G R5 lights. All on max output. About 30 feet from my deck to the fence.

HDS Tactical 200
Hdst200.jpg

Zebralight SC60
Zlsc60-1.jpg

NiteCore Infilux IFD2
Ncifd2.jpg

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Rob! That beam shot series is helpful. It does look like I will like the beam profile of the SC60w.