about to park my motorcycle

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
The most funny thing — most of them have no slightest idea that they are killing their bike engine this way :) Not every bike eng ine has a modified oil pump intake and in an angled position during a wheelie an engine is running "dry".
Dude, a Japanese inline four is indescribable! You can't hurt them no matter how hard you try. A Soviet rip off is a different story.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
by driving between 2 cars, you mean splitting the lines? or driving in the middle lane with cars in the right and left lines?

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tell anyone who's starting off motorcycling, " ride like everyone is trying to kill you, because everyone is trying to kill you."
I think it better to say "Ride like everyone doesn't see you, because most of the time they don't."

I don't think there will ever be automated motorcycles, unless they can work out some kind of highly intelligent gyroscope system. So one day in the future, motorcycles will be having a golden age as most cars on the road will be automated.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
when i drive i watch for bikes, but very often i see bikers do stupid sht that puts themselves in danger. and other motorists as well. from what i get in this thread is mostly that car drivers are idiots, but bikers are innocent creatures, well it is not the case at all. not what i see around nyc at least.
you can't ride recklessly and blame everyone around, like splitting lines, is illegal in 49 states, but i see bikers do that all the time, when someone does and gets hit, it is his fault, do not blame cars or cell phones

Last edited:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
when i drive i watch for bikes, but very often i see bikers do stupid sht that puts themselves in danger. and other motorists as well. from what i get in this thread is mostly that car drivers are idiots, but bikers are innocent creatures, well it is not the case at all. not what i see around nyc at least.
you can't ride recklessly and blame everyone around, like splitting lines, is illegal in 49 states, but i see bikers do that all the time, when someone does and gets hit, it is his fault, do not blame cars or cell phones
That is a whole other topic... because you're right, there's "faults on both sides" here. I have seen motorcycle riders take tremendous chances, especially zooming fast between cars in dense traffic. Like it's some kind of video game. It often does not end well when people just don't exercise caution.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dude, a Japanese inline four is indescribable! You can't hurt them no matter how hard you try. A Soviet rip off is a different story.

Whatever you say :)

If you play Russian roulette on a regular basis it is not a question of "if", it is a question of "when".

Last edited:
Dirt is no safer.

Don't be silly. Dirt is much, much, much safer than street riding. And I ride trails, not track, which is safer still. And the statistics overwhelmingly support this. Anecdotes are cool (awesome that you rode professional), but each is only one stick in a gigantic bundle of events.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
When I was still riding a bicycle I had stuff thrown at me here. Cowards did not even stop to confront me

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't be silly. Dirt is much, much, much safer than street riding. And I ride trails, not track, which is safer still. And the statistics overwhelmingly support this. Anecdotes are cool (awesome that you rode professional), but each is only one stick in a gigantic bundle of events.
Here are some Additional Stats. for you. In the late eighties there were one million motocross racers in the US, and as many trail riders, today, there less than 100,000. The trail riding done today it is mostly four wheelers, not two wheeled trail bikes like in the 1970's

I have had hundreds of crashes in the dirt either racing or just trail riding. Never had a crash on the street. Those are my personal Stats., however the nature of the sport has changed. When I was young, I could get a sport bike, today no one under 40 can get or afford the insurance.

Also, racing should be classified different as you are trying to win, so you take risks to accomplish that. I have seen both on and off road riders injured over the years and really neither is safe...and, that is the fun of all of it.

The worst dynamics of trail riding were three wheelers, remember them? Crash-o-matics, and on such a cute bike! That is why they were made illegal in the sometime in the eighties.

Really you can take nothing for granted when you ride.

Lumen83

Enlightened
When I was young, I could get a sport bike, today no one under 40 can get or afford the insurance.

What are you referring to as a sport bike? The last annual premium I paid was $478.00 for a dirtbike, and ATV, and a snowmobile. I was 29.

Last edited:
Here are some Additional Stats. for you. In the late eighties there were one million motocross racers in the US, and as many trail riders, today, there less than 100,000. The trail riding done today it is mostly four wheelers, not two wheeled trail bikes like in the 1970's

I have had hundreds of crashes in the dirt either racing or just trail riding. Never had a crash on the street. Those are my personal Stats., however the nature of the sport has changed. When I was young, I could get a sport bike, today no one under 40 can get or afford the insurance.

Also, racing should be classified different as you are trying to win, so you take risks to accomplish that. I have seen both on and off road riders injured over the years and really neither is safe...and, that is the fun of all of it.

The worst dynamics of trail riding were three wheelers, remember them? Crash-o-matics, and on such a cute bike! That is why they were made illegal in the sometime in the eighties.

Really you can take nothing for granted when you ride.

Very different in the four cities you live in than down here in the South. My trails are 85% or more two wheel motorcycles. Insurance isn't too bad for a sport bike. Never had a crash on the street (rode for 12 years). Wonderful memories of the three wheeled Honda murder machines in the desert near San Diego.

And yet...street riding causes death or permanent injury (not talking a bad knee, but amputation, brain damage, paralysis) per rider at a much, much, much higher rate than dirt. That is why I don't ride street.

And the fact that you would risk the precious skin and health of your girlfriend by riding 90 mph on pavement with her in a dress and heals is insanity and the height of irresponsibility to me...Holmes.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was not 90 mph, Hommie, it was my wife I ran up to130 mph! Also, I have owned property outside of Atlanta, not mich different than our current residences. That was my daughter I took from 0 to 90 mph in seconds! Many times faster than that.

They love it!! And, I have never worn anything but Levi's and a T- Shirt, on the street. Off-road full gear...have you ever been sprayed with rocks and dirt?

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holmes, Jim,

You do do raise some good points here in our discussion, and you seem very knowledgeable about the sport of MC riding, and while I may not be 100 percent correct on everything, I am a dare devel, and a risk taker, and have had a great time engaging these kind of activities.

If you get Additional information on the safety of our sports, please post it here, sometimes I think industries who are against motorsports of all kinds come up with things. Even Mark Twain, distrusted statistics, and that was in the 19th century.

If you still ride, stay safe. I think any two wheel activity is risky, and with that the fun.

Best,

Holmes Red LED