Adapters for using car lighter socket at home?

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have devices that plugs into the lighter socket of a car. I want to be able to use these things while at home. What is the adapter that allows me to do this called and where I can find one. Also about how much do they go for? I know they exist, I just can't find it online. I'd do a google search, but have no idea what this thing is called. TIA.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can check at local electronics stores, even Radio Shack. They can get expensive though for the higher amp ones. About a hundred dollars for the 10 amp ones IIRC. Lower amp ones are much less.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one from radio shack. It puts out 1 amp at 12 volts, costed ten bucks. Its a big wall wart. They also sell larger units that put out several amps for larger loads and include banana plugs for other things.

I also have a jump starter thing I use and plug it in as needed. Great for projects, satellite radio and power failures.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I saw a cheap one at biglots for about $4-5... probably close to 500-700ma. I picked up a 1.1Amp one for about $5 from there about a year ago.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info guys. I guess off to Radio Shack I go. I know I'm paying way too much there, but if there's no other place to buy this stuff.... I WISH there were Big Lots and Fry's over here in New York. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this one, it works well for cell phones and such. I also have a regulated 12V desktop power supply for bigger stuff but I really like this little one for traveling. All I need are the DC mobile power cords for stuff, no need for the A/C wall warts and chargers.

web page

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice and small adapter there Stingray.

I was looking over this thing and it says it only supplies half an amp. What if what I plug in needs to draw more than that? I currently don't know how much some of this stuff draws. They don't say. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
James, that one looks like a really good deal at only $7.

I found that Belkin one on sale at Best Buy for $12 a while back, so it wasn't really $29 as shown on the Belkin website. Belkin's website has the MSRP for everything. Most of their stuff can be found for about half of their webstore price or less in the major electronics stores or online stores like newegg etc.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sinjz, you can find adapters rated for higher currents also, but they'll be bigger usually. I have a couple of desktop models rated for 10A. Do a search for "AC/DC 12V converters" and you'll get lots of hits.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't care what it looks like you can get a much larger 12v regulated power supply from allelectronics.com or other such places, and just connect a 12v lighter socket from radio shack or I'm sure all electronics has them too. You can up the amperage as much as you want that way, even to a 600 watt ATX supply if you really want /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey James, that $7 one looks pretty good. I missed it yesterday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif It for home use, so I guess the extra size is fine as long as it can handle the little extra current and saves me a pretty penny. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You could try finding an old AT power supply at a computer store for dirt cheap. or an ATX supply and short out I believe the green wire to a ground (black wire) with a paper clip to mimic a mobo connection.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Lynx_Arc, I've got a spare 250 Watt Power supply somewhere (from an old computer). What exactly am I suppose to do to make it mimic a normal regulated power supply? This is something I very willing to mess around with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif