Adelaide South Australia Geardo Meeting

Ozgeardo

Newly Enlightened
OK Folks, I am going to make a meeting happen in South Oz in 2014.
I am looking at two dates:
Weekend of Saturday 17th May to Sunday 18th May or
Weekend of Saturday 26th July to Sunday 27th July
I am leaning more towards July, it will be one of the two above dates as these are the ONLY two weekends that I am not working next year (Sad but true), I will make the final choice but will take into account others preferences.
As far as I am concerned the colder, the wetter and the darker the better :D

To attract a wider range of like minded "Geardos" I would be considering a more general interest group including:
  • Torches (Flashlights for you foreigners)
  • Multi-tools & Knives
  • Tactical/Survival and BOB gear
  • Field equipment including navigation gear (GPS's, compasses etc)
  • Other interesting geardo & gizzmo type things.

If anyone else has any relative demonstrations or sessions they would like to facilitate then I am more than happy add to the weekend.
Not looking at any sort of formal program but a flexible guide to the weekends activities would be something to help plan the weekend around.

I would like to include a bit of a swap/meet - buy/sell.
I have got quite a collection of bits and pieces that just sit around and could well be of use to others.

To make things interesting I am thinking of some activities to test our lights other than just throw and spill demo's (actually putting them to use to find/identify objects & targets?). I do a lot of team building activities so you will have to excuse me.

Now before I go spending a huge amount of time and some dollars organising the weekend I need to get an idea if there will be some people attending?
As long as I can get about 1/2 doz + then I think it will be all systems go.
So far we have:

1. Ozgeardo
2. Son of Ozgeardo

so 4 more to go and it is ON! :party:

Tentative location will be Mt Crawford Forrest but I am not going to book or confirm things just yet.
If it looks like we have numbers I will make booking before the end of this year.

Catering will be bring your own everything, there will be a hot plate and billy on the open fire.
I am fine with some alcohol and I have no problem with happy drunks telling tall tales but I do not and will not tolerate anyone spoiling the weekend. :devil:
If staying overnight bring your own swag/tent/hutchie/basha or bivie etc.
I would most likely be getting there on the Friday night.

Do I have any interested players? :thumbsup:

Cheers
Ozgeardo

Leoht

Flashaholic from Mars
Sounds like a great idea. We had a ball at our recent Vic camping trip.

I may be interested but to come that far I will have to take a few days off and turn it in to a little holiday me thinks.

I would have more chance of making the winter dates as I have another hobby currently consuming summertime weekends,
u4y3uta3.jpg

Taken at Phillip Island GP circuit This morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Ozgeardo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Leoht,

I have looked over most of the posts about the Vic Weekend and I am keen for similar here in Sth Oz.
Would be happy to have any input from those like yourself who have done this before.
More than happy to make a full weekend of it all, more so if anyone is going to travel.

Mt Crawford (The Old School House https://www.forestry.sa.gov.au/Recreation/Accommodation/TheOldSchoolHouse.aspx ) is the plan at this time (it is a Forestry SA Park not a Environment SA Park) I would imagine it is similar to your Ditchfield Forestry campsite with a "Flushing Enviro Toilet", Rain Water Tank & Solar Lighting and options for camping around the School House.
A Tourist Caravan Park is just down the road at Williamstown for those who want the creature comforts.

I have also received a PM from japudjuha who has expressed his interest so the ball is rolling.

The cunning plan continues..................:thumbsup:

Ozgeardo

Newly Enlightened
Ok I am bumping this thread to see if there are any others interested?
We should all be back from Christmas/New Year Holidays (those lucky people that get holidays in the holiday period).
I will give it another few weeks to see what interest we have otherwise I may look at other options for the weekend.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Ozgeardo, it would be epic if we could have a SA/VIC weekend meet in July at the halfway mark in Mt Gambier. What do you think?

Leoht

Flashaholic from Mars
Hay Gav what about going a little further and do Beachport SA. We could drive out in to the sand dunes to do some real testing of our trowers?

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to go, but considering the distance, it'd have to be for more than just overnight!

ana8u5et.jpg

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hay Gav what about going a little further and do Beachport SA. We could drive out in to the sand dunes to do some real testing of our trowers?

Sand dunes? I was hoping to see Blue Lake, but the meeting place is open to discussion.

I'd love to go, but considering the distance, it'd have to be for more than just overnight!

Yeah, 2 nights might be more worth it. This is getting to be quite an effort to organise for May, maybe July might be THE weekend for this interstate meet!

Perhaps the OP wants to start a new thread with the heading 2014 VIC-SA meet to arouse some interest and get planning underway for the meeting point? I guess accomodation can't really be organised until we agree on a meeting point. This has to be left to someone who is familiar with Mt Gambier/Beachport and its surrounds.

Leoht

Flashaholic from Mars
I know Beachport very well, I used to holiday there. It has one of the best pubs I have ever been to, and two caravan parks within walking distance. And the 2nd longest pier in SA at 772 meters.

Mt Gambier is nice too but I don't know it as well. Blue lake viewing area would be a great place for a meet.

Norm

Retired Administrator
A great pub Crash I remember having an excellent steak when we stayed there, but that was about 8 years ago.

Norm

Ozgeardo

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I guess that means we do not have enough interest for a Adelaide meeting so I wont proceed any further with my original planning.
I only have two weekends off for the year: 17 - 18 May and 26 - 27 July so if someone gets something organised around those dates I would be interested.