Advice on light for shower

Z

z_Bradosaur

Hi,

My bathroom has a huge skylight over the shower, which is great in the day, but at night the two 18W CFL's over the vanity don't light up the room enough. Showering is a somewhat dark and creepy process.

I was thinking of putting some extra light on its own switch. Maybe a waterproof LED strip discreetly around the ceiling, or maybe some 12V LED lights aimed upwards?

Any advice? Thanks

I have recovered the following data from Google's cache manually.
Please post any errors and corrections in a new post below.
-
The format is:
Date, time, old postcount#, poster;
post data
-
I will try to fix the CPF links in the next 2 weeks or until I give up in frustration. Can not do that and verify with CPF down.

-----

12-13-2010 10:45 AM #2 jason 77
A picture of the space you want to add light to might help....

How much light do you want, how much do you want to spend. Are you looking for a pre-made light or are you looking to build one yourself?

-----

12-19-2010 09:28 AM #3 Dino2010

the shower reaches maximum on Sunday night and Monday morning. Advice Get away from city lights. While many Perseids will be bright urban areas, the shower's full grandeur is reserved for places with dark and starry

-----

12-19-2010 10:55 AM #4 Nitroz

Dino2010 said:
the shower reaches maximum on Sunday night and Monday morning. Advice Get away from city lights. While many Perseids will be bright urban areas, the shower's full grandeur is reserved for places with dark and starry
Weird? Lol

-----

12-19-2010 03:01 PM #5 Ken_McE

Lot of ways you can go with this. Project sounds very do-able. Have you had much trouble in the past with the Perseids getting into dark corners of the house?

-----

12-19-2010 06:02 PM #6 purduephotog

If you have premade cans in place you can put the CREE units in- they're waterproof/bathroom rated.

You could also get the Phillips bulb from HD- I believe it is rated for bathrooms- just not enclosed fixtures.

I would not go around making your own light strips for the bathroom for two reasons: 1) It involves water and you need to be REALLY sure you do it right, and 2) It's not cost effective. Yes, others have done it and I think the results look really nice- but it is too risky for that type environment.

-----

12-19-2010 07:05 PM #7 ken2400

The last episode I saw of Ask this old house had
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/photos/0,,20261200_20585988,00.html

Put in the kitchen.

I don't know how well they get rid of the heat tho?

Good luck with the bathroom and keep us posted.

-----

12-19-2010 09:15 PM #8 Bradosaur

Okay, I tried to take a few pictures. They didn't come out great... it's hard to photograph something dark. Lots of reflections too. Please don't make fun of my messy bathroom.

20101219200404.th.jpg

Jason: I would like to spend maybe $50 or less, and I'm happy to build it myself.
Dino: umm...
Purdue: There are no existing cans. I need to add something, and it must be removable for when I move out.
Ken: Those look awesome (maybe for my mom's house... I hate changing the lightbulbs when I visit ) But with 8 years breakeven, what if the technology gets good too fast?

I have no particular need for it to be LED, I just thought that might be a fun route. Power can come from the outlet next to the sink, though there is a real danger of water running down the cord and getting in the outlet. Or I can put an A23 bulb splitter thing on the existing bulb.

Last edited: