African Safari headlamps & flashlights, will need in lodges when power is turned off

lightyearsaway

Newly Enlightened
African Safari headlamps & flashlights, will need in lodges when power is turned off

I am hoping to go on an Africa Safari in the near future. I think all the places we are staying have generators, but the power is only on for a few hours at night and then lights out. If I am still up I will need my own light, and as we are staying in the boonies I need something just in case. So I will need something to use if I want to stay up or go to the bathroom, etc. A headlamp might work for some things but I may need one or two carries also. We will not be going out at night other than eating around the camp, no night walks in the bush. Illegal anyway. mostly will be used around the tents and that is about it. Please note we are not sleeping on the ground, we are sleeping in lodges that are off the ground.

As I will be flying with this thing in my carry on I am not sure if I can take CR123A lithium batteries with me now or not, it appear some laws have changed, so I am not sure if I can bring the flashlights and spare batteries or not. If someone knows, please let me know. Otherwise I will need AA or AAA type lights. I have eneloops.

Currently I own the following:
Nitecore SRT 3
Nitecore SRT 7
Nitecore CR6 (red)
Spark Headlamp SG5
various AA mini-mags
Fenix PD35 coming soon
Jetbeam RRT01
Zebra light SC52w (don't like it much)
Romisen Rc-29

Some of these will have better battery life as they have lower levels available and maybe I don't need to buy another light... If I can take these on the plane with lithium batteries than I might be good to go, not sure. Other recommendations would be great though.

I would like to hear from those who have experience on safari's and what worked for you! Thanks in advance!

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light in person from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
__xx__This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I don't know yet
____Up to $25.
_xx___Up to $50.
_xx___Up to $100.
____Up to $200.
____Up to $300.
____Essentially unlimited.

3) Format:

____I am not sure, please help me decide.
_xx___I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).
_xx___I want a self-contained headlamp.
____I want a headlamp with an external pack/power source.
____I want a mounted light (typically for a bicycle or vehicle)
____I want a lantern/area light.
____I want a portable spotlight (it may have an external power source).
____Other ____________________________________________

4) Size:

____MICRO - Keychain size.
____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
_xx___SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
_xx___MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)
____LARGE - Big enough to need its own travel case.
____I don't know/I don't care.

5) Emitter/Light source:

_xx___LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

_xx___I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
____I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?

xx____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
_xx___I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.
____I don't know/I need more information on power sources.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

_xx___I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
_xx___I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
_xx___I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
_xx___I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

____SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

_xx___All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.
_xx___Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
__xx__Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.
____Turbohead: I want a far-distance projector with a sharply focused spot of light and minimal or zero side-spill. Good for extreme distance and impressing your friends.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
_xx___Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
_xx___Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
_xx___5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
_xx___30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
_xx maybe...___50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
__xx__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
xx____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
_xx___Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
_xx___Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't know.

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

_xx___Any size switch will do.
____I need a BIG switch (I'll be using gloves or have very large hands or coordination issues).
____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I want a remote switch (usually found on high-end bicycle headlights)
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
_xx___I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
_xx___I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")
____I want SOS mode. (blinks in ---...--- emergency pattern)
_xx the nite core lights do this,but as I am inside, I am not sure I need it. ___I want a beacon mode. (Regular flashes at full power to show location.)
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
__xx__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
_xx___Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
__xx__Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Water resistance
____None needed
____IPX4 (Splash resistant)
_xx___IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
__xx__IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
_xx___In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
____Emergency kit (long standby periods)
____Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)
____Other_________________________________________ ____

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

__xx (this is not critical, but very useful, I am starting to think if I can bring that nitecore CR6 with me it would be great as it has many Rend LEDs specifically for nighttime!__Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
_xx___Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking, Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

dss_777

Enlightened
Re: African Safari headlamps & flashlights, will need in lodges when power is turned

Of what you have, I would take the Spark headlamp and the SRT3, but add the AA extension tube. Stick with AA batteries, use disposable lithium AAs with ~6 spare batteries. It's highly doubtful you'd use all those in a couple weeks of travel, and carrying a rechargeable setup just adds weight and hassle. More than enough for what you need, and will be the lightest option. Many of the safari trips limit amount and weight of all luggage, so that can matter more than you think. I'd assume you're going to be at the limit with camera gear and other necessities pretty quickly as well.

A reasonable number of lithium batteries are perfectly Ok to take on planes, but have to be in your carry on luggage.

Have a great trip!

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: African Safari headlamps & flashlights, will need in lodges when power is turned

What do you not like about the SC52? I personally don't like it either, but my recommendations would be in similar market niche (AA/14500/sub-lumen/efficient), and I think I have most of them.

lightyearsaway

Newly Enlightened

Hi guys, thanks for both your replies.

I do understand about the weight issues. We will be there for about 14-16 days, have many things to prepare, though with some of the travel I have done before, I already have many of the items I need for the trip.

Camera equipment will actually be minimal, 1 DSLR 1 midrange point and shoot, and probably 1-2 lenses. I am not going to bring a tripod.

The SRT 3 is small and multi-functional, I just wonder if there is a better light I should be taking with me.

Reppans, The ZL is overly complex. Has too many modes, and I can't figure out which mode I am in, also difficult to remember how to turn it off and change modes, it is just not user friendly at all. I know some love this little light, but I hate it. I mean the light coming from the thing is fine, but the UI on this is overly complex. I actually bought this light originally for my mother in law who is over 60 and needed a light because she is going blind. This light is terrible for an elderly person, especially one who is going blind. She is technically challenged too, so this light is not a good choice, but I kept it for me, and I actually wouldn't mind changing it for something else. Why is it you don't like it reppans?

So basically for flashlights I have whatever I need.

What do you guys think about the HD-90 from Nitecore? Too big? Bigger than my Spark I think for sure.

braddy

Enlightened

You are looking at a lot of good lights, I EDC the PD35.

A little thing that you should consider adding to your kit, is the Fenix HL10, it is perfect for reading and walking around camp and not blinding people, and the AAA light is removable to use as a hand flashlight for your key chain or to hang around your neck.

I think of it as the perfect black out light because it is so light and small that you forget it is there, you put it on low and just wear it until you go to bed.

lightyearsaway

Newly Enlightened

You are looking at a lot of good lights, I EDC the PD35.

A little thing that you should consider adding to your kit, is the Fenix HL10, it is perfect for reading and walking around camp and not blinding people, and the AAA light is removable to use as a hand flashlight for your key chain or to hang around your neck.

I think of it as the perfect black out light because it is so light and small that you forget it is there, you put it on low and just wear it until you go to bed.

I actually just bought the PD35, awaiting delivery of it. And I will probably start EDC this light simply because it can blast away my current EDC which is the Jetbeam RRT01. But I also just found the Thrunite TN12 which boasts a 1050 lumen blast! Anyway... I want to test the PD35 first, I may bring this one with me.

I will check out the HL10, thank you for the recommendation. What is the material in this light? Aluminum right? I just looked at the specs and it seems it is quite similar to the spark. This one can be 1-6-30 lumen for low levels, it seems I might not even need the HL10, the only advantage I see is easy to change battery and no more than 70 lumen output. the problem on the spark is that from 30 it jumps to 100 and 200... 30 may be enough for the camp no?

braddy

Enlightened

The Spark seems perfect, I didn't realize that the weight would be so similar, 1, 6, and 30 lumens is a great spread for what you would be doing.

Between that and the PD35, that is all you need. Frankly, to my thinking, I'm still amazed at how futuristic the capabilities of having those two lights seems.

Here is a review of the HL10. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...x-HL10-XP-E-R4-1xAAA-Ni-MH-or-Alkarine-Review

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

....Why is it you don't like it reppans?

So basically for flashlights I have whatever I need..

I don't like how they over exaggerate specs - I never know what I'm getting from them. They fooled me on the high end with my first (an H51w), and this time they fooled me on the low end, all of which are off by multiples (and how they claim their runtime efficiency). Mine's also quite green, but I do like the UI.

You sound set for your lights... Enjoy the trip :).

lightyearsaway

Newly Enlightened

The Spark seems perfect, I didn't realize that the weight would be so similar, 1, 6, and 30 lumens is a great spread for what you would be doing.

Between that and the PD35, that is all you need. Frankly, to my thinking, I'm still amazed at how futuristic the capabilities of having those two lights seems.

Here is a review of the HL10. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...x-HL10-XP-E-R4-1xAAA-Ni-MH-or-Alkarine-Review

I have the Spark SG5 NW (natural white) model, so it is like this...
260, 100, 30, 6, 1 lumen.
The one thing I dislike about it is the rubber grips that hold it in place, sometimes I worry it will just slip out. I have told the seller to tell the factory about this issue.

I am still considering to bring the SRT 3 or the Fenix PD35... I may not need anything so bright like the Fenix.

I don't like how they over exaggerate specs - I never know what I'm getting from them. They fooled me on the high end with my first (an H51w), and this time they fooled me on the low end, all of which are off by multiples (and how they claim their runtime efficiency). Mine's also quite green, but I do like the UI.

You sound set for your lights... Enjoy the trip :).

Ok well we don't like the ZL light but for different reasons, ha. I can still use it, I just don't want to mess with the UI. I love the tactical ring lights, I just worry how long can they really last...

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have the ZL SC52W and think its a great light, but as you don't like it how about the Nitecore SENS AA. 120, 20 and 6 Lumens output, it also has the Active Dimming Technology which varies the output depending on where you are pointing it. It will work with your Eneloops.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Never mind all the big lumen lights also treat yourself to something simple and humble like a little Fenix EO1 or similar cheap light which you can wear around the neck on a lanyard.Ideal for going for a piddle in the middle of the night and well known by most on here as a bomb proof little light.

FlowerPower

Newly Enlightened

My advice is to not bring a flashlight. Most camps will provide one in your room. I've been to Africa and South Africa (and stayed in top-rated places while on safari) and trust me when I say the bug nets provided are there for a very good reason. Unless you are an entomologist or there is an emergency you don't ever want to get out of bed at night or turn the lights on after sunset (not even to go to the bathroom)!!!!!! If you must take a flashlight take a Mag mini, keychain light, or the dimmest light you can find so you won't freak yourself out. Skip the flashlight and take a BugZooka!!

braddy

Enlightened

What about a LRI PPRO Proton Pro White/Red AA light, using the red led in bug areas, and having the white led as your personal light for the entire trip

It takes a single AA, and it has both red and white light, and both are adjustable from nothing to bright, the light is key chain size, and can produce white light for 250 hours and red for over 400 hours.

lightyearsaway

Newly Enlightened

My advice is to not bring a flashlight. Most camps will provide one in your room. I've been to Africa and South Africa (and stayed in top-rated places while on safari) and trust me when I say the bug nets provided are there for a very good reason. Unless you are an entomologist or there is an emergency you don't ever want to get out of bed at night or turn the lights on after sunset (not even to go to the bathroom)!!!!!! If you must take a flashlight take a Mag mini, keychain light, or the dimmest light you can find so you won't freak yourself out. Skip the flashlight and take a BugZooka!!

Please tell me you are kidding. I know there will be bugs, but that many? I have a weak bladder, so I will be up at night. I will be in a lodge, but have to go outside to get to the bathroom I think... They said each one has a bath, but it seems it is not in the room.

I have a spark and a thrunite keychain light, but both are still quite bright. The Nitecore SRT 3 can dim down much more than the keychain lights can.

What about a LRI PPRO Proton Pro White/Red AA light, using the red led in bug areas, and having the white led as your personal light for the entire trip

It takes a single AA, and it has both red and white light, and both are adjustable from nothing to bright, the light is key chain size, and can produce white light for 250 hours and red for over 400 hours.

I'll have a look, thanks.

braddy

Enlightened

A quick search on leds and bugs showed a lot of people saying the red led was best for the bugs, with the Photon Proton, you get both options.

lightyearsaway

Newly Enlightened

A quick search on leds and bugs showed a lot of people saying the red led was best for the bugs, with the Photon Proton, you get both options.

I just did some searching and found that white and red leds attract bugs. So I did a search on green, and it seems to be the best, so that means I may be purchasing a Green CG6 from Nitecore or I will buy green filters or gels to place over the current lights I have. That would be the cheaper and lighter option as the CG6 is pretty big.

braddy

Enlightened

You must have searched deeper than my cursory look, I just took a quick glance at some old 2003 CPF threads, where they said red.

Green is great for me because I have an old CMG, and a Lightwave 2000, both in green.

How about a Fenix LD12 with a green filter? Since the filter is tiny, you can even take a red one to test.

Would you mind linking me to your green light source, I would love to find out that my green lights are better than the red in some area.

Last edited:

lightyearsaway

Newly Enlightened

Sure!

A couple of articles you might be interested in also: this is about LEDs in general attracting bugs http://www.energycircle.com/blog/2011/08/17/correction-led-lights-do-attract-bugs
This one is about the green light - http://www.jtsonline.com.au/green-led-camplight-no-more-bugs.html

These are the two I can find right now, will be looking more deeply into the greenlight issue during this time as if it works, that will be wonderful!

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is the best advice written i have seen in a long time,someone who has done it and worn the tee shirt,really well done.

greyghost1

Newly Enlightened

What rubbish. From my experience camping in Namibia and Kenya I would encourage the OP to take a head lamp and/or a small flashlight with a good throw. Every campsite or resort will have interesting wildlife and birds in the surrounds, day and night. A small spotlight might show you fantastic sightings from your tentflap or lodge door or the path from the restaurant and isn't that what you're going to Africa to see? Bugs aren't anything like the issue FlowerPower claims. Don't listen to fussing about different coloured lights. That is not an issue with a hand held flashlight. As with anywhere in the world it makes sense to close doors and tentflaps before dark if there are bugs around and you want to use a constant light inside.
Cheers, Tim