Air purifiers/ionizers

Chuck289

Enlightened
Re: Any own a good air filter for room/house

I bought a Holmes harmony air purifier from walmart. It was under 40 bucks. It seems to be working. I notice less dust in my room, and the filter looks like its grabbing a lot of it. I dont bother with the ionizing feature though.

jinx626

Enlightened
Re: Any own a good air filter for room/house

I bought a Holmes harmony air purifier from walmart. It was under 40 bucks. It seems to be working. I notice less dust in my room, and the filter looks like its grabbing a lot of it. I dont bother with the ionizing feature though.

what model is it? does it have a hepa filter? Thank you for your help.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading about the Sharp Plasmacluster here and other forums I bought it and I'm happy with it.

I love the auto setting it really does ramp up when you cut one.
The filters were easy to clean. I've just done 1 cleaning. I noticed that when I start to get a little stuffed that all I have to do is hit quick clean and I'm fine again.

jinx626

Enlightened
After reading about the Sharp Plasmacluster here and other forums I bought it and I'm happy with it.

I love the auto setting it really does ramp up when you cut one.
The filters were easy to clean. I've just done 1 cleaning. I noticed that when I start to get a little stuffed that all I have to do is hit quick clean and I'm fine again.

it sounds great, but it's bout $350... i was able to afford it if I didn't invest it in lights..:(

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
$350 is a lot. My FP-N40CX (<$180) will do a huge room fine.

1 note, Plasmacluster does NOT put out ozone like other ionizers do. It generates something similar which does not harm the environment but kills many germs which is proven by many labs all over the world.

It does work quite well removing odor, killing some germs, but I don't think it filters the air well during low mode. The filter need to be set to medium or high to be moving lots of air which makes bearable noise.

Last edited:

meuge

Enlightened
1 note, Plasmacluster does NOT put out ozone like other ionizers do. It generates something similar which does not harm the environment but kills many germs which is proven by many labs all over the world.
Ions are notorious, because of their reactivity. Also when aerosolized, they will frequently fall apart under the influence of light, and form radicals. Both aerosolized ions, and radicals are absolutely terrible for your health, and are undoubtedly capable of causing mutation and therefore cancer.

The way ozone and other ion species kill bacteria, is by damaging its DNA... like a UV lamp (sort of). Except the UV lamp can only damage what's under it, while aerosolized ions can damage any living cell they come in contact with, including yours.

So do your health a favor, and toss whatever ionizer you may have.

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
I have posted this back in 2005.

I have one of the Ionic Breeze units. We keep it in the bedroom. I have allergies to dust, mold, and dust mites. After using the unit for a couple of months I had (and still have) less problems with my allergies. Been running it for over a year with no ill effects.

It is also good for eliminating odors. We acquired a room of furniture that had a slight odor (old people smell) to it. We put the ionic breeze in the room with the furniture for about a week, it got rid of the odor.

I spent a lot of time researching the pros/cons if these units before I got it. There is a bunch of information on both sides out there and a lot of it is contradictory. In the end I decided to get one because it was "free" so to speak. I used points from my credit card, so there was no out of pocket money involved. If I ever need another one I won't hesitate to buy it.

New: I still have the unit, and still run it in my bedroom. For anyone that says it does not work I will be happy to send you a sample of the fine talc like dust that comes off the collection plates (well, maybe that is not such a good idea in todays environment :))

Is it harmful? I don't have a link but there was a Govt. site I saw in my research that indicated the unit puts out so little Ozone that you would have to have it in a tiny room with no airflow for it to harm you.

meuge

Enlightened
Is it harmful? I don't have a link but there was a Govt. site I saw in my research that indicated the unit puts out so little Ozone that you would have to have it in a tiny room with no airflow for it to harm you.
Indeed, levels of ozone generated by indoor air purifiers have been shown to exceed 500 parts per billion, when EPA danger levels are set to 80 parts per billion.

Furthermore, a number of studies (including this peer-reviewed one) have shown that ion generators often lead to an INCREASE of particles within an enclosed space, due to transformation of larger particles into smaller ones.

Considering the proven effectiveness of HEPA filters, and their availability, I fail to see why anyone would risk exposure to aerosolized ions.

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
Indeed, levels of ozone generated by indoor air purifiers have been shown to exceed 500 parts per billion, when EPA danger levels are set to 80 parts per billion.

Furthermore, a number of studies (including this peer-reviewed one) have shown that ion generators often lead to an INCREASE of particles within an enclosed space, due to transformation of larger particles into smaller ones.

Considering the proven effectiveness of HEPA filters, and their availability, I fail to see why anyone would risk exposure to aerosolized ions.

Found the link:

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html

From about halfway down the page.

If I Follow Manufacturers' Directions, Can I be Harmed?
Results of some controlled studies show that concentrations of ozone considerably higher than these standards are possible even when a user follows the manufacturer's operating instructions.
There are many brands and models of ozone generators on the market. They vary in the amount of ozone they can produce. In many circumstances, the use of an ozone generator may not result in ozone concentrations that exceed public health standards. But many factors affect the indoor concentration of ozone so that under some conditions ozone concentrations may exceed public health standards.
  • In one study (Shaughnessy and Oatman, 1991), a large ozone generator recommended by the manufacturer for spaces "up to 3,000 square feet," was placed in a 350 square foot room and run at a high setting. The ozone in the room quickly reached concentrations that were exceptionally high--0.50 to 0.80 ppm which is 5-10 times higher than public health limits (see Table 1).
  • In an EPA study, several different devices were placed in a home environment, in various rooms, with doors alternately opened and closed, and with the central ventilation system fan alternately turned on and off. The results showed that some ozone generators, when run at a high setting with interior doors closed, would frequently produce concentrations of 0.20 - 0.30 ppm. A powerful unit set on high with the interior doors opened achieved values of 0.12 to 0.20 ppm in adjacent rooms. When units were not run on high, and interior doors were open, concentrations generally did not exceed public health standards (US EPA, 1995).
  • The concentrations reported above were adjusted to exclude that portion of the ozone concentration brought in from the outdoors. Indoor concentrations of ozone brought in from outside are typically 0.01- 0.02 ppm, but could be as high as 0.03 - 0.05 ppm (Hayes, 1991; U.S. EPA, 1996b; Weschler et al., 1989, 1996; Zhang and Lioy; 1994). If the outdoor portion of ozone were included in the indoor concentrations reported above, the concentrations inside would have been correspondingly higher, increasing the risk of excessive ozone exposure.
  • None of the studies reported above involved the simultaneous use of more than one device. The simultaneous use of multiple devices increases the total ozone output and therefore greatly increases the risk of excessive ozone exposure.
Red text added by me.

Why would anyone want one? Simple. No filters to buy. No noise. Lower electricity usage.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a lot of companies selling "air purifiers" these days. Once a band wagon works (sellable that is )everyone climbs on. While they sound like your lungs will love you for them, they usually don't make much of a difference in the amount of stray contaminates in your air, although they can make some difference in eliminating allergens and odors and most people will state they notice some difference. Many will also state they made no difference. There are a number of reasons for wanting fresh air in your indoor environment and some of them are completely justified, and while I have not publizied it here, my company happens to provide some solutions to these problems. I'm sure even indirectly advertising here is a break in protocol, it is mine, so I will not provide any of our solutions here, and anyone with a specific problem can PM/email me and I will do my best to help. First a person must ask themselves why they want to freshen the air. Here are some major reasons.

1) Known/unknown odors lingering in the home. (especially pets)
2) Wanting to reduce stray allergens in the air.
3) Wanting to reduce virusus and bacteria in the air.
4) Feeling too many contaminates are being drawn into the lungs.

Number one and two above are very sane reasons for wanting to do something to make your environment more pleasant. Just ask a severe allergy sufferer.

First and foremost remember this. Just because you eliminated the odor with the Ionic Breeze or whatever name yours goes by, you have not necessarily eliminated the cause, and that might be the real danger. ie. Mold smells bad, eliminate the mold not the smell of it.

For #1 above remove the odor causing problems if possible, clean more often, clean and deodorize your HVAC system coils and duct work at least once a year. Remember that much of your air comes through your forced air system. (HVAC-- heat and air conditioning ) If its dirty and smelly the whole house will be. Instead of using plug ins try using odor eliminators sprays in known odor causing spaces. Fragrances (not candles) can work. If high quality fragrance manufactured for home use are used, they will last longer and be safer.

For #2 Reduce as much cloth material in your home as possible and remove as much carpeting as possible. Hard wood floors or Ceramic tile is best. Make sure leather is safe for your use and prefer it over cloth furniture. It can be wiped off and does not hold contaminates. Use the best vacuum you can afford. Use a vacuum with a minimum of a HEPA filter built in. Many cheap vacuums just throw the dirt back out the exhaust. Spray anti-allergen solutions like AMDS on cloth furniture and bedding. Clean your HVAC systems coils and duct work at least once a year and deodorize them. Change your HVAC systems filter often. There are machines that do this automatically. Try to eliminate suspected allergens one at a time only. AND an air filter may help reduce allergens. I know people who have been helped by an air filter and those with whom it done nothing for.

#3)I can't imagine anyone being such a germaphobic that they feel they need to kill all the germs in the air all the time but hey what ever floats your boat. They make lights that can be installed on your HVAC system that kills everything as it passes. Once again I say clean your HVAC systems coils at least once a year and deoodorize them, change the filter in your HVAC system often, and just keep your home reasonably clean. If we kill every germ we come in contact with we would never build any immunity.

Just a note: In my opinion candles are bad for your home, your lungs, your electrical devices. Candle lovers are converging on me right now. I realize you may have a different opinion. They create a film that attaches itself to everything. They have been a suspected irritant to the lungs and the possible cause of irriatations leading to infections. This is why they clog air filters and most modern air filter manuals will tell you not to use candles and your air filter at the same time. If you have health problems especially your lungs and/or allergies, I would limit their use if possible.

I would be happy to try and help anyone with a specific problem if you want to email me.

Bill

Last edited: