Airline Pilot - Malkoff M61 High/Low MD2 - Which Emitter?

CC268

Newly Enlightened
Currently using a Zebralight SC600w IV HI - it works just fine to be honest, but my two big complaints are that the beam is almost too narrow, which requires me to scan a lot of aircraft surface area and the battery does not last as long on high as I'd like (I guess I should just get in the habit of recharging the 18650 battery after every trip). Great size and great form factor though. I've always wanted a Malkoff M61 High/Low MD2, but have just never pulled the trigger.

A while back I was going to pickup an M61N - is this still the preferred emitter for my usage case?

Thanks

Mr. LED

Enlightened
Are you using SC600w HI on max? That's 1400 lumens and a slightly narrower beam, it's a lot of light and throw.
Malkoff M61 is around 400 lumens with a smaller hotspot (but less intense), and more corona/spill. You gotta make sure that will suffice for your needs.

Try setting up the SC600w HI to 502 lumens, the middle mode of H2 and see if it's enough for you before pulling the trigger.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first Malkoff's were the N (neutral) variety because of the amount of people on this forum raving about them, I soon discovered that I actually prefer the normal (cool) variety so it depend on your eyes. The cool variety are slightly brighter as well.

I was on choppers for 10 years and an MD2 would have been ideal, on night ops an M61LL would have sufficient, what size aircraft are you needing to check?

Mr. LED

Enlightened
About charging the battery after every trip, in my view it's mandatory. I wouldn't start a trip without making sure all my batteries are charged (phone, flashlight, iPad, etc) and of course having at least one spare battery. I like to be prepared.

CC268

Newly Enlightened
Are you using SC600w HI on max? That's 1400 lumens and a slightly narrower beam, it's a lot of light and throw.
Malkoff M61 is around 400 lumens with a smaller hotspot (but less intense), and more corona/spill. You gotta make sure that will suffice for your needs.

Try setting up the SC600w HI to 502 lumens, the middle mode of H2 and see if it's enough for you before pulling the trigger.

I switch it between Max and Medium. Max is definitely needed for looking high up on the vertical stabilizer (over 40' up). Sounds like the MD2 might not suffice...idk.

CC268

Newly Enlightened
My first Malkoff's were the N (neutral) variety because of the amount of people on this forum raving about them, I soon discovered that I actually prefer the normal (cool) variety so it depend on your eyes. The cool variety are slightly brighter as well.

I was on choppers for 10 years and an MD2 would have been ideal, on night ops an M61LL would have sufficient, what size aircraft are you needing to check?

Mr. LED

Enlightened
If you do need max 1400 lumens and the throw from HI, M61N will not do the job for you. If you can use only 500 lumens from the Zebralight and be happy with it, it might do the job.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also get the malkoff 21700 body and with an M361n drop in that has LMH

M61T is nice as is the M61 Hot

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm really surprised that the Zebralight can't illuminate the tail sufficiently to check for damage, distortion or hydraulic leaks etc. If that is the case then you may be better off with the M91B or M91T, which require 6-12v, so would need an MD3 or MD4 body, an MD3 with a single cell extender would accept 2 x 18650's. An M91T with an MD3 body would run for about 1.5 hours.

Robot Mania FU

Newly Enlightened
Don't forget that the current m91b is still relatively efficient when being underpowered by a single lithium.

I'd argue the m91b with a h/l (in whatever temp you prefer) running in an md2 body miiiight be closer to what you're looking for? Even underpowered it is decently brighter than the m61 and a much wider hotspot/beam. Just food for thought.

CC268

Newly Enlightened
I'm really surprised that the Zebralight can't illuminate the tail sufficiently to check for damage, distortion or hydraulic leaks etc. If that is the case then you may be better off with the M91B or M91T, which require 6-12v, so would need an MD3 or MD4 body, an MD3 with a single cell extender would accept 2 x 18650's. An M91T with an MD3 body would run for about 1.5 hours.

It does just fine but the beam is a bit more narrow than I'd like

Mr. LED

Enlightened
Don't forget that the current m91b is still relatively efficient when being underpowered by a single lithium.

I'd argue the m91b with a h/l (in whatever temp you prefer) running in an md2 body miiiight be closer to what you're looking for? Even underpowered it is decently brighter than the m61 and a much wider hotspot/beam. Just food for thought.
That would be ~650 lumens for the M91BN and MD2 body, which is less than half of the SC600w HI, although the hotspot is bigger.

Mr. LED

Enlightened
I wouldn't use anything cool white and low CRI to check for hydraulic leak and damage in a distant spot.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff M61 is weak. Especially for outdoors, the beam profile is too wide, it has a weak punch. I like using it indoors.

Outdoors, you have much stronger candidates:

Malkoff M91T

Malkoff Hound Dog

These are a new level of performance. I would run them in a MD4 body with 2 cells in it for most lumens and best runtime.

If you want extra super long time, you can add 1-18650 extension to either one and run them off 3 Li-ion cells but they would look ridiculous.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Malkoff M61 is weak. Especially for outdoors, the beam profile is too wide, it has a weak punch. I like using it indoors.

Outdoors, you have much stronger candidates:

Malkoff M91T

Malkoff Hound Dog

These are a new level of performance. I would run them in a MD4 body with 2 cells in it for most lumens and best runtime.

If you want extra super long time, you can add 1-18650 extension to either one and run them off 3 Li-ion cells but they would look ridiculous.
image.jpg

Oh,,, I don't know😁

I have had an MD4 with 2x18650s driving an M 91B with Hilow ring for many years. For me, it is the perfect inspection light for home inspections. I'm betting it would be excellent for inspecting aircraft also.