Alaska Experiment on Discovery Channel

RebelRAM

Enlightened
I think I'm going to stick with this series for now. It's definitely way better than CBS's Survivor, which is essentially a game show out in the woods/beach.

The goat hunt was pretty cool, although I did cringe every time the guy wanted to use the rifle for hiking pole. I'm not sure exactly what it was, but the guide said it was a .338 Win Mag. A little excessive cartridge for the beginner. I did notice though that it appeared to have an M700-like action and Swarovski optics.

As for the rest of the equipment the teams were provided with at the camps. I would like to see a list. I am thinking that the teams have more than enough gear to survive easily if they don't make too many stupid costly mistakes. I agree the teams should pay more attention to the STOP principle or even an OODA loop.

The other thing I am wondering and I should probably check the Discovery website for this, but what exactly are the rules for the experiment? At what point do the producers make a decision to take a team out of the experiment because they cannot continue to survive on their current track?

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to try and catch this series as well.
Regarding the choice of rifle caliber...338 Win Mag is excessive for goat, but I'm thinking that the teams are limited to one rifle caliber each and in bear country the .338 Win Mag is near the minimum I'd choose for a brown bear cartridge.
Further, the .338 is a relatively flat shooting cartridge so one could "reach out" for the goats.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My what total disrespect those two spoiled girls show their father. Admittedly a stressful situation in tight quarters but telling your father to butt out and shut up is a bit much, IMO.

For those of you in the know, if not for the surveillance and protection offered, is there any way you would live in a basically tent shanty in the middle of bear country?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
My what total disrespect those two spoiled girls show their father. Admittedly a stressful situation in tight quarters but telling your father to butt out and shut up is a bit much, IMO.

For those of you in the know, if not for the surveillance and protection offered, is there any way you would live in a basically tent shanty in the middle of bear country?

It's funny that you mention that about the tent. I think that was the most disturbing part of the show. I could not understand the reasoning behind that, with or with a camera crew on-site.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I seem to recall there is a LAW in Alaska . . . .

( somebody please correct me if i'm wrong ) :)

If you FLY in an airplane, then you are NOT ALLOWED to HUNT
until the NEXT DAY !

Thereby removing the "aerial advantage" a (potential) hunter would have,
when searching for game.

The pilot flew the "Goat Hunter" to the mountain (twice).

And he immediately began his hunt.

Doesn't that constitute a violation of this "rule" ? ? ?

BTW, add me to the list of people who are disgusted
with the dreadful behavior of those two Spoiled Brat Girls
who are camping with their Dad.

Shameful ! :shakehead

:whoopin: ___ :whoopin:

_

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I got the most entertainment from those dumb-a**es that screwed up in canning thier salmon and lost half their stock. That mistake should prove interesting in another month or so.
Getting ready to do it "the right way" all over again this year (after year, after year, after year!). We're indeed THANKFUL for the "bounty"!!

clg0159

Enlightened

EXACTLY what I thought, it seems that this couple is at a significant disadvantage. On top of living in a tent, they have to cut firewood from driftwood!
All things considered this show is pretty entertaining, although I think most in the know outdoorsmen here could easlily do a better job at just about every task (here is the key piece) while still having a good time.

RebelRAM

Enlightened
I seem to recall there is a LAW in Alaska . . . .
( somebody please correct me if i'm wrong ) :)
If you FLY in an airplane, then you are NOT ALLOWED to HUNT
until the NEXT DAY !
Thereby removing the "aerial advantage" a (potential) hunter would have,
when searching for game.
The pilot flew the "Goat Hunter" to the mountain (twice).
And he immediately began his hunt.
Doesn't that constitute a violation of this "rule" ? ? ?
_

I believe that is correct. I did find this http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regulations/pdfs/general.pdf
and it notes on page 16 the rules for flying. There are probably more extensive definitions of this somewhere else in the regulations.

Also here is the main page for Alaska regulations
http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=regulations.hunting

Last edited:

RebelRAM

Enlightened
This show continues to keep my curiosity. This week's episode had a few interesting events. It looks like the guide/outfitter has equipped each team with a single shot 22. It was humorous when one team acted like they were going to take a bison with the 22.

I noticed that the team living in the canvas tent is about to have a big problem with flooding. I'm not sure how I would handle that problem either. The tent appears to be placed in a poor location.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
They each have a Davey Crickett (yes the real name of the rifle, lol) .22 single shot, its a small single shot originally designed as a young persons first rifle.

I am thinking that before too long, flooding will be a non-issue as it will soon freeze over if they can stem the tide for the time being somehow.

I think the father and daughters might have the real possiblity of some serious trouble with contamination from their toilet so close to their food prep area.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I don't know what "bison" was on the show, but an American Bison (buffalo?) certainly could be killed by a 22lr with proper bullet placement. Based on the brief exposure I had to the show, I doubt any of the participants could have done it. Drowned it with their Starbucks, maybe.

RebelRAM

Enlightened
Well for what it's worth, that same team stumbled across a fresh carcass a little while later. They called it a bison, but it was impossible to tell. There was a lot of meat left on it. But it makes me wonder if it was a "planted" carcass?

In other items of note, I have been watching closely to see what types of gear they were equipped with. It looks like most teams have LED based headlamps. I have not seen any other flashlights. For blades it looks like mostly Gerber folders and sheath knives and Leatherman multitools. I wonder how much gear team members were allowed to choose on their own and bring with them? I would suspect most gear was provided.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got back from a friends house who had recorded it. This is really funny stuff. I'm going to start watching it. Don't you know the "guides", etc are laughing their butts off at these guys.

The bison carcass was planted for sure. The neat gut pile, where it was field dressed, was right there. I assure you, that's the first thing the scavengers would have hit. Easy pickings.

I'm pretty sure they're violating a whole bunch of game and fish laws. Maybe the state's giving them a pass for some reason. And it really aggravates me to have the unsafe gun handling seen by so many people who probably think that's the way it's supposed to be.

RebelRAM

Enlightened
Anybody still watching this? I watched last night's episode and it seemed somewhat boring. They focused mainly on the one group's 40 mile hike. And that group definitely had not planned properly. Was interesting to see the effects of cabin fever and dehydration. Ah well, maybe next week's episode will be better.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I watched last night's episode.

Really like to know if the group of 3 friends was "encouraged" by
the show's production crew to HIKE 40 MILES ( ! ) ,
when they could've simply stayed put in their well-supplied cabin.

Seems almost too much coincidence that two groups
decided to "visit" their "neighbors" in the same week.

Would the San Diego trio really think a 40 mile (one-way)
trek would be a Good Idea ? ? ? :confused:

Seemed a bit "hard to believe" to me.

BTW, if i am a cameraman or production crew member,
and i see "my group" is suffering from dehydration for
36 hours, i'm gonna' (at least) throw 'em a water bottle
and a Snickers bar.

Still, this series is indeed interesting. :thumbsup:

And certainly makes me appreciate the (easy) life that i've got.

:twothumbs
_

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is totally scripted. But what wonderful country. Worth watching just for the background.

Latest posts