• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Aleph Light Engine Build

Barefootone

Enlightened
<font color="blue"> </font> Hey Wptski,
A big DAH on my part I was thinking of a conventional bezel and not the internal type of ring on the Aleph, Never Mind . I'm glad that Tylerderdan got it out anyway.
Keep-em bright in the night,
Jeff

Barefootone

Enlightened
KJ,
Very nice tutorial great pictures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif. I could follow this quite nicely. Good Job.
Jeff <font color="blue"> </font>

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Yeah, I tried to make that point in my build page but I guess I didn't get it across.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you made it perfectly clear, I just forgot about it. I remembered it as I sat there and realized what I had done. I won't make that mistake again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Barefootone said:
<font color="blue"> </font> Hey Wptski,
A big DAH on my part I was thinking of a conventional bezel and not the internal type of ring on the Aleph, Never Mind . I'm glad that Tylerderdan got it out anyway.
Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]
Jeff:

That's what Gilda Radner(spelling check) always said on SNL when she played Rosann Rosannadanna! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barefootone

Enlightened
<font color="blue"> </font> Hey Bill,
Your showing your age I thought I was the old guy around here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif. Yes that's what Gilda Radner as Rosann Rosannadanna use to say (Never mind) on SNL, God rest her funny, funny soul.
Jeff

MrMom

Enlightened
Barefoot,

Nice to see you here. I told you that this place is addicting. Bring your Aleph to the next big Geocaching event and show it off. I think that 'Letchworth Fall Gathering' Oct 16 is next.

kj

Enlightened
I've been building another LE and tried cutting the groove on the front lip of the ES-Can. To me, this method is a little more comfortable because I could be less careful on some steps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I updated my page along with it.

Barefootone

Enlightened
Hey MrMom, Nice to hear from you. Yes this place is very addicting I enjoy it a lot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif . I guess I was a closet Flashaholic. I don't know if you saw my first build, but here it is. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=LED&Number=631920&fpart=&PHPSESSID= I'm very happy with it and I have used it in some cave caches we have done. I was going to build the Aleph 2, but I wanted to get one built by /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif McGizmo. After seeing part of your collection at the Spring Fling I was hopelessly hooked all over again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif . I was hot for the L5 that you showed me for quite awhile, but after coming up empty with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif I switched gears to this venue.
Hey can you give me some info. for 'Letchworth Fall Gathering' Oct 16, I've never heard of it. Nice to hear from you & best regards.
Jeff <font color="blue"> </font>

McGizmo

Flashaholic
kj,

Thanks for the additional pics and coments! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I hav been joining the E-Screw to the ES-Can after the LED has already been mounted and the LED Leads soldered to the emitter PCB. The excess Arctic Alumina epoxy squeezes out between the E-S and Can as well as coming up in a ball around the LED lead wires where they exit the E-S. I have found that if I let the AA epoxy gel, in its "green" state, I can use a special* dental pick to peel and chip away the excess AA rather quickly and cleanly.

*special dental pick has been ground on opposite sides to resemble a miniature scyth (sp) It can be slipped under the AA from various and numerous directions to break the bond with the underlying surface. In the E-Screw to ES-Can joint, the dental pick can be rotated around the assembly while directed under the bead of excess AA.

Miciobigio

Enlightened
KJ,

- Great tutorial !
- Very nice pics !
- Clean website , a joy to look at !
- Super collection of flashlights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Don,

i'll place my order in the next feew days ( Aleph1-5W ), i'll not buy any more flashlights until an Aleph arrives at my door /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. anyway just one question : can i choose between the HA-Nat and HA-Black ? ( Aleph1 5W + 17500 PowerP + 2x123 PowerP ). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

EDIT : i apologize ... only Dark-Gray HA ... the fact is that it looks like black on my monitor ... but it's super nice color !

Darell

Flashaholic
Wow... I am WAY late to the party!

KJ - an awesome job with your pictures and write up! Turns out that I was wrong in another thread where I stated that I was the only one epoxying the emitter on as the last step. Oops. After reading through this, and Don's original notes... I *still* can't see a significant (any?) advantage to the exterior ground process! Inside is definitely the way to go for me! I use a bare wire, and do the deeper-to-the-inside notch, and go about my business. NO worry about orientation, or about shorting at the anode.

These things are always so much fun for me to build because it seems that no matter how many I do, I'm still amazed when they light up at the end of the process. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Well I still want to set KJ up with his own sticky thread here when he is ready! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif His layout and examples are just great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a question regarding the nextgen badboy. I noticed that there is a ring on the underside of the board. Does this serve a purpose in any way? I was thinking that this may be more than just cosmetic. Could this be a ground path in any way? Can anyone verify if this is so?

Thanks.

kj

Enlightened
Yes, that's the ground. If you have tools and skills to solder the ring to the ES-can, you don't need to use the ground wire anymore. You may use the solder paste and oven /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif and it seems some Aleph builders have started using this technique.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
kj,

Thanks. What is the ES can made of? If it's aluminum, won't it be difficult for solder to stick to it?

Darell

Flashaholic
Yup, EN plated brass. At some point with or without the ground ring, *something* is always soldered to that can. Be in a ground wire or that ground ring. I have found that the EN plating solders up pretty nice. A notch cut for the wire makes the solder stick even better.