Aleph lights - are upgraded Light Engines available?

Minimoog

Enlightened
I have found in my drawer the original series of Aleph lights - all 2xCR123A with reflectors 1, 2 and 3. The tail caps have a small resistor in them to give two levels. Now, the LED in all of them is the Luxeon 3 Watt, and whilst it was the best available a few years ago, now they seem a bit lacking.

So I was wondering. Are there any modern bits that will fit my lights that I can fit myself or are these relegated to the history books of CPF?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, modern McGizmo light engines are Aleph compatible, and @datiLED occasionally releases aftermarket / custom versions too ....

Note, however, that those are not designed to work with the resistored 2-stage tailswitches (McE2S) .

You may want to replace the tailcaps with modern McClicky parts.

Those vintage McE2S are very valuable and collectible, though :)

Last edited:

Minimoog

Enlightened
Thank you. I would love to get them up to 'modern brightness' so will contact Don. I did not realise that they were the same fitting!

I had mine made by Chop - don't see him here any more, lost his flashlight build parts in the New Orleans flooding IIRC...
The large No.3 reflector always looked like it was capable or more, so that one I will do first if practical. The No.1 was smooth and gave a very tight spot, the No.2 was more floody - for walking. I had a stainless steel clip installed on them all. Seems such a long time ago now...bit sad really...

Just fired them up for the first time in a few years. https://www.dropbox.com/s/abr3yllkj9evvwh/20151122_225630.jpg?dl=0

archimedes

Flashaholic
Don't forget that @rush is working on the re-release of the HiVe-LD programmable driver ... I will be looking to upgrade a few of my Alephs too ;)

Minimoog

Enlightened
Don't forget that @rush is working on the re-release of the HiVe-LD programmable driver ... I will be looking to upgrade a few of my Alephs too ;)

Thanks. What sort of price range will it likely be to upgrade the tailcap, light assembly and this driver (is that part of the LE...)? Not likely to be cheap I know - custom never is!