Alternative to Duracell Mobile Charger?

Bones

Enlightened
Is the CEF23DX4 the same thing?

The Duracell Mobile charger's base model number appears to CEF23, with different extensions denoting various bundles. For example, model number CEF23DX4N appears to include 2 AA and 2 AAA pre-charged cells and an auto-adapter.

Also what is so special about the mobile charger?

It has fully independent charging channels, it charges at an inherently benign rate and, most importantly, it knows when to quit.

It also has an internal 100-240V switching power supply with a folding plug, it can be operated from a 12V DC power supply, it has a quasi-intelligent LED for each of its four charging channels, and it can function as a mobile booster via its on-board USB-A port.

SilverCaper

Newly Enlightened
For those interested, I just purchased the following at drugstore.com.

Duracell Pre-Charged Rechargeable Mobile Charger with Batteries

Comes with 2AA & 2AAA Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries

Battery Charger + Portable Power in One

• Charge USB Devices from charged batteries*
  • Now with Duracell® Rechargeable Pre-Charged
  • Retains power for up to 365 days while not in use, unlike regular rechargeables
  • Can be recharged 100's of times
Includes Car Adapter and 2AA & 2AAA Batteries

The item is on sale for $18.69. If you spend $25 you get free shipping. If you spend $30 you can use a $5 off coupon (first time customers only) through this link at fatwallet. If you purchase two as I did the total price is $32.38 or $16.19 a piece.

Last edited:

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
The item is on sale for $18.69. If you spend $25 you get free shipping. If you spend $30 you can use a $5 off coupon (first time customers only) through this link at fatwallet. If you purchase two as I did the total price is $32.38 or $16.19 a piece.

That's beautiful! But the cells are black-top, no? Let us know. Good deal still, though, with the power cords included and all!

SilverCaper

Newly Enlightened
That's beautiful! But the cells are black-top, no? Let us know. Good deal still, though, with the power cords included and all!

I'm pretty sure that you are right about the cells being of the black-top variety, but I'll let you know if I get a surprise. I figured the batteries have to be worth a couple bucks a piece so $8 for a smart charger seems pretty good.

Bones

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure that you are right about the cells being of the black-top variety, but I'll let you know if I get a surprise. I figured the batteries have to be worth a couple bucks a piece so $8 for a smart charger seems pretty good.

Although I can't pin the reason down to any specific post or report, the Rayovac Hybrid invariably comes to mind whenever I give any thought as to which of the cells made in China I would be most comfortable recommending.

Since the 'Durahybrid' cell appear to be identical to the Rayovac, I would be much less disappointed receiving it in a bundle than I would with any other cell of its genre.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Although I can't pin the reason down to any specific post or report, the Rayovac Hybrid invariably comes to mind whenever I give any thought as to which of the cells made in China I would be most comfortable recommending.

Since the 'Durahybrid' cell appear to be identical to the Rayovac, I would be much less disappointed receiving it in a bundle than I would with any other cell of its genre.

should just call them Durabrids, we don't call the white ones duraeneloops

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
...the Rayovac Hybrid invariably comes to mind whenever I give any thought as to which of the cells made in China I would be most comfortable recommending.

My 2 cents worth... I find that to be generally true of the ROV Hybrid AA cells. Not quite as good under higher loads as Eneloop, but close, and more importantly, they seem to have good durability. The ROV Hybrid AAA cells, on the other hand, I have not had nearly as equivalently good luck in regard to durability as the AA's. I've had several develope severe high self-discharge in relatively short order, for a supposedly LSD cell, anyway. Also have had some AAA Hybrids lose capacity at a higher rate. In contrast, all my Eneloop AAA's still have good LSD properties and capacity loss has been less, and much more even across the cells. Just my personal observations with my cells...

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found a set of RoV hybrid AAA cells recently that I had bought to put in a cheap light. They do not test better than about 650 mAh on the C9000 and their internal resistance seems to be quite high. In contrast AAA eneloops comfortably achieve over 800 mAh.

e_dogg

Newly Enlightened

FWIW, the 2 AA cells that came in my Mobile Charger package were Durahybrids/Durabrids (or whatever you kids are calling them these days :grin2:).

The ROV Hybrid AAA cells, on the other hand, I have not had nearly as equivalently good luck in regard to durability as the AA's. I've had several develope severe high self-discharge in relatively short order, for a supposedly LSD cell, anyway. Also have had some AAA Hybrids lose capacity at a higher rate. In contrast, all my Eneloop AAA's still have good LSD properties and capacity loss has been less, and much more even across the cells. Just my personal observations with my cells...

I found a set of RoV hybrid AAA cells recently that I had bought to put in a cheap light. They do not test better than about 650 mAh on the C9000 and their internal resistance seems to be quite high. In contrast AAA eneloops comfortably achieve over 800 mAh.

Good info on the ROV AAA cells! I picked up a couple packs of the AAA Durahybrids when I bought my charger and other Duraloops since they were 1/2 price. I figured they weren't as good as the Duraloops but since I'm only using them in my TV remote, it shouldn't be a big deal. But, it sounds like I should keep an eye out for some AAA Duraloops to have on hand in case I get an AAA flashlight or something else that uses a significant amount of juice.

PeAK

Enlightened
... Even my new Duracell CEF20 Mini Charger (AA/AAA 280mA/110mA, 2 cell / 2 channel!) has also been running cool and terminating well in my limited experiments....:(

TTA, thanks for putting me onto this charger. My ongoing experiments back up your comments and I continued to be impress by this inexpensive unit.

Magic Matt

Enlightened
The reason I made the post is because I'm trying to avoid a crap charger and my budget was only about $20. ;)

You'll be lucky to find a charger that isn't crap for so little money. That's why when they do come up, people on here snaffle a load to resell I expect!

I wish I hadn't bought so many bad chargers over time, and just bought the C9000 to begin with. You get what you pay for - and in this case, you get something awesome! I only got it this morning and I've recovered 8 cells that I had written off as knackered... 1400mAh out of the marked 1800mAh when previously I was getting 400mAh if I was lucky. It's going to easily pay for itself in the way it lets me look after my cells properly.

PeAK

Enlightened
...just bought the C9000 to begin with. You get what you pay for - and in this case, you get something awesome! I only got it this morning and I've recovered 8 cells that I had written off as knackered...

Here's an idea:
The refresh/recovery of cells is a long process that ties up the C9000. You could still use your expensive unit to discharge the crap batteries and then transfer them over to the an :wave:army of CEF20 chargers:wave: free up your C9000 and to speed up the forming charge...the CEF charge rate and duration is a close approximation to the 0.1C @16 hours forming charge.

e_dogg

Newly Enlightened
I had been looking for the Mobile Charger for a while, and I found the CEF23DX2 on Ebay for $13.99 + $3 S/H. It came with two Duraloops in the old wrapper (only says rechargeable, not pre-charged). Definately worth it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380175101197

Wow that's an excellent price! I think I wound up paying close to $25 for mine.

Here's an idea:
The refresh/recovery of cells is a long process that ties up the C9000. You could still use your expensive unit to discharge the crap batteries and then transfer them over to the an :wave:army of CEF20 chargers:wave: free up your C9000 and to speed up the forming charge...the CEF charge rate and duration is a close approximation to the 0.1C @16 hours forming charge.

That's not a bad idea...I've been getting Amazon gift cards as a promotional gift and been thinking about using them on a C9000.