Alternatives to La Petite Killer?

thefrank

Newly Enlightened
I have already a Quantum DD and I'm looking for another keychain light. I really, really like the look of La Petite Killer but unfortunately it is not available anymore. Which currently available lights would be a good alternative?

- the light should be as compact and robust as possible (I like thick metal body of the Killer!) but it does not have to be Ti
- preferably natural finish, not black
- a single mode is fine (less parts to break)
- high lumen are not necessary, as long as it lights up the road a few steps ahead of me at night it will serve its purpose!

thefrank

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! The 10180 looks very nice, I didn't even see it on their website. But it is still almost twice the size of the Killer and I think I prefer the Wee over the Eiger in terms of looks...

I am still surprised that the Killer was discontinued and nothing similar is on the market!

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Thanks! The 10180 looks very nice, I didn't even see it on their website. But it is still almost twice the size of the Killer and I think I prefer the Wee over the Eiger in terms of looks...

I am still surprised that the Killer was discontinued and nothing similar is on the market!

This is a bit dated now but has some pretty neat lights to get you thinking. For the La Petite Killer, possibly post a Want To Buy over on the marketplace.

Have you looked at the Streamlight Nano?

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
The La Petite is almost in a class by all by itself. One of my very favorite lights and one of the best ever made, at least I think it is.

Hand made, titanium....I wear mine 24 hours a day, with para cord and a custom bead, of course.

Do post a want to buy on the market place. Soon or later, you will get one, just be patient. These are worth the effort to get.

I have the one I wear and two back ups. I use it almost everyday, and used it in the middle of last night to charge the dial on my watch.

Good luck in your quest. They do come up, so just keep an eye on the forum.

Best wishes,

NR

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
While on the subject, it seems the very small lights are not made very often and most are custom.

The original (Not copy's) Photon Micro Lights are great little lights, too. I have had one on my key chain for what seems like well over a decade. I forget when they first came out, but they are almost indestructible!

Also, the Arc AAA's are a good choice when they come up for sale, and they are easier to get than the La Petite's are - and, are still in production - or are they?

Nevertheless, my wife has an Arc AAA on her key ring and it is thrashed finish-wise! However, inside, the battery compartment and LE are perfect the LED is fine, it works like new!

I love small lights, mostly CR-2's

thefrank

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies! Looking at the reviews just convinced me even more that the Killer is in fact a class of its own. The other ones are all nice (especially the Wee and the Drake) but not 100% what I'm looking for and I don't really want to compromise when spending around 100 bucks for a tiny light. I might really wait and try to find a used Killer...

I actually have a Streamlight nano and I'm sure the Photon is also very good but I'm looking for something of a higher quality (and of course price) class, not the best quality for the buck.

thefrank

Newly Enlightened
I was just about to change my mind and by a Wee when I read a few threads about business ethics at Lummi. With that number of people being ripped of by this company I cannot understand how reviews can promote his flashlights even if the ones that get shipped out are of high quality...

The MBI Core Ti looks like a cool idea but a completely different style, not what I am after!

thefrank

Newly Enlightened
I think you could always ask Fred (Photon fanatic) to do a custom LPK for you... I'd love one, too!

That would be awesome but I'm a bit afraid it could be slightly more expensive than the old version...

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The mbi core ti fits perfect on a keychain. Stacks perfectly between the keys with only 4,8 mm. Mine is momentary mode only, but i think there is a constant on version now. 80 hour runtime, use it alot and im still on my first battery.

I put it beween the keys for the picture to show how well it "rides with the keys" :)
dsc00722qj.jpg

Cat tried to grab my core ti, she likes it too :)

Gribouille

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I'm really a newbie, but from my point of view the closest to the petite Killer seems to be the Quantum DD, and if I have a second choice it will be the 10180 Eiger.

Anyway, thanks for your post, Everyday I Learn things is this fantactic forum.

Regards

Gribouille