am i making a mistake being nice to the stray cats?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i still worry they will trust all humans and some whacko will harm them. we have jerks who go out of there ways to run over turtles and ground hogs.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
i still worry they will trust all humans and some whacko will harm them. we have jerks who go out of there ways to run over turtles and ground hogs.
No, you're doing the right thing, and it's not a mistake. Cats don't assume people are alike in that way - they operate at a much higher level than that. In fact, I find they're often better at initially judging people than most people are - and that includes 'feral' cats, with whom I have some experience. They'll likely understand that you're cool though, and reciprocate, and hang around, and that may or may not be good depending on your situation.

Edit: Do exercise care though raggie33 - you don't want to be bitten by any animal, and especially one you don't know.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I've found that most cats will only trust humans who are kind to them. Sometimes they only really trust one person and avoid everyone else. It takes a lot of time to earn the trust of a stray cat, if you even can. If they're not acclimated to humans when they're kittens, more often than not they'll remain feral. Cats can run very fast to avoid those who might try to harm them. The biggest danger for strays seems to be getting run over by cars. Something like 5 million cats are killed that way in this country each year. If you're kind to strays, and that keeps them from wandering around as much, they're less likely to end up as road kill.

Are you able to have cats as pets where you live? That's really the best thing for them, get them off the streets for good. Between the ones we kept, and the ones we found homes for, my family helped a lot of stray cats. Cats are wonderful companions but they don't warm up to you right away.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
good becuase they are good freinds even tom is being a nicer cat.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Everything in moderation my friend. And of course I guess it depends upon what you mean by "Being Nice".

Ideally, any feral cat you befriend, you would get it spayed/neutered.

When cats mark their territory, it really stinks! That can be a nuisance. I wouldn't want to harm relationships with my neighbors by creating a nuisance. Many municipalities have ordinances against feeding feral cats. If you feed, one or two, the ordinance may go unenforced, but if you run a social center for a herd of cats, that is a different story. They may be professionally trapped, and brought to shelters where they may eventually be put down.

200.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
its hard to even afford to feed them being in the poverty income level. but i for sure dont want to cause more harm then good ill wean them off food. there is 3 of them .i just hate seeing anything living suffer .im not even a cat person but i feel so sad for them

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol i just bought 12 pounds of aribica coffee. payed 16 bucks seems like a good deal.

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another factor to consider is that feral cats kill millions of songbirds in North America every year. This has been well studied and documented. I think the best outcome would be for the cats to be professionally trapped, taken to a shelter, and adopted by a person or family as a welcome indoor pet. I have a granddaughter in Denver who got her cat in just this way. And I have a son in Phoenix who brought a neighborhood stray into his home, where it became a much-loved family pet.

Last edited:

chip100t

Enlightened
How do you know if a cat is a stray or not?
My cat was forever losing her collar. So now I don't bother with them. You should not feed other peoples cats. But if a cat is clearly undernourished maybe that would be a sign it was homeless.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cats can get under your skin if you let them. They are a major preditor- yes, they are usually underestimated when it comes to small birds, baby squirrels, ground squirrels baby rabbits, etc. Yeah they kill rats, but they kill so much more even if you are feeding them well because that is their nature. Now Melvinia likes them and we have 7 and one just had a batch of kittens. $5 a piece for a shelter to take them. Most came from two strays that somebody put out.

I consider them furry panhandlers and they do that very well.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
We found a maine coon in our front yard late one night. Thing was a mess. Fur all matted and nothing but skin and bones. We nursed it back to health and it was a huge beautiful cat.Took a few months. Right after that the damn thing ran away and we never saw it again.I'll stick to dogs 😁😁

lightAction

Newly Enlightened
No, you're doing the right thing, and it's not a mistake. Cats don't assume people are alike in that way - they operate at a much higher level than that. In fact, I find they're often better at initially judging people than most people are - and that includes 'feral' cats, with whom I have some experience. They'll likely understand that you're cool though, and reciprocate, and hang around, and that may or may not be good depending on your situation.

Edit: Do exercise care though raggie33 - you don't want to be bitten by any animal, and especially one you don't know.
A lady in Garfield Hts, Ohio was fined & jailed for being compassionate. Local Laws may prohibit you from feeding ferals, with word getting out that your giving free food, next you'll be creating a nuisance with SO many AND the males will be marking everything.

Cats can get under your skin if you let them. They are a major preditor- yes, they are usually underestimated when it comes to small birds, baby squirrels, ground squirrels baby rabbits, etc. Yeah they kill rats, but they kill so much more even if you are feeding them well because that is their nature. Now Melvinia likes them and we have 7 and one just had a batch of kittens. $5 a piece for a shelter to take them. Most came from two strays that somebody put out.

I consider them furry panhandlers and they do that very well.

Funniest thing I've read today. Thanks for the chuckle. 😁