American crime vs English crime: not what you thought

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: American crime vs English crime: not what you

If the victim is murdered, then do they no longer count in the violent crime category? So, then the dead victims lower our numbers of violent crimes so we appear to be a safer place.

Eh, LOL, I was surprised by the numbers, also that Finland is even worse than Britain. Finland, who would have thought?

turbodog

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
Keep it in perspective, majority of shootings are low lifes, gang bangers and drug dealers/addicts. Good riddance.

[/ QUOTE ]

right on!

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
cheesehead said:
Where did you get your numbers? ...snip...

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the London Murder rate numbers from a CNSNews Article from April 18 2002, and the current NYC Murder rate from the www.nyc.gov web site, and follow the links to the police, and current crime statstics

You also have to remember, just like London, at least here in NYC, MOST murders are of people who are involved in criminal activities. In MY area of the city (North Eastern Queens - the 111 Pct) we have a VERY low murder rate - we average 0-2 per year (last year 2, this year 1 so far) - now the Pct has somewhere around 116k people in it

Now of course, what I'm NOT saying, and which is really skewing things (but is part of the article) is that post the time of the Chicago data someone posted above, and today, London's murder rate has risen (the point of the article is that it has gone way up for the first time in memory - mostly since 2001) and that NYC's has dropped dramatically - last year, NYC had 218. In 1993 we had more than 1900!!! NYC is by far the safest city in the US!!

Size15's

Flashaholic

Look at the traffic accidents/deaths and see whetehr it's worth worrying about getting shot vs run over.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

Oh, I agree - I'm MUCH more worried about being run over. It's just that this thread is about relative crime rates, and the fact that they have gone to poop in England, and have been improving dramaticlly in the US. The interesting other data point (NOT saying there is causality) is that the US has been liberalizing it's firearms carry laws, while England has been tightening weapons laws....

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Look at the crime rates in Australia since the general "disarming" of 3-5 years ago.

Larry

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*

I will let my user name speak for me in this thread.

idleprocess

Flashaholic

Crime in Dallas is on the rise. It was a big issue several months ago when the mayor fired the police chief - causing a predictable uproar from the black community.

I see cops at my apartment complex dealing with "situations" more often every month.

I've been solicited by the local drug dealers a few times.

Are things "going to hell" ? No. They're slowly getting worse, however.

Latest posts