An Even Brighter Key Chain Flashlight Mod!

jayrob

Enlightened
I would love to try one! I have not worked much at all with SMD components, except to break them off of a board that I was modifying!:laughing:

But if you have a link for me, I will buy some and try to see if I can make it fit better.

I built the second 'clicky' version last night, and it is way too time consuming to even think about selling these. It is just too tight of a fit. It requires many adjustments before getting it to work just right. Even taking the clicky apart and slightly bending the rotating contact points a little so that they make better contact to the 'hot leg tabs' inside the switch. (I had to do this with the first one as well)

Very tedious, but the end result is really nice!:)
Jay

jayrob

Enlightened
I must admit that I do not know enough about electronics to answer that question...

I used a 3 ohm 1 watt resistor because I have seen this same simple circuit in many MXDL flashlights. So that's why I started there. And when I tested the current draw from the 10280, it was right where I was hoping for it to be.

I know that the resistor did not feel warm to the touch when I was testing it.
Jay

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to try one! I have not worked much at all with SMD components, except to break them off of a board that I was modifying!
But if you have a link for me, I will buy some and try to see if I can make it fit better.
Sorry, I don't have any links, I get most of my parts from throwaway boards. I guess you could find them on eBay though.

I built the second 'clicky' version last night, and it is way too time consuming to even think about selling these. It is just too tight of a fit. It requires many adjustments before getting it to work just right. Even taking the clicky apart and slightly bending the rotating contact points a little so that they make better contact to the 'hot leg tabs' inside the switch. (I had to do this with the first one as well)
If you really want to sell them, it's obvious that your method can't be used without requiring far too much time to shoehorn the circuit in there. Invest in a few proper microswitches and it should be much easier. :)

jayrob

Enlightened
Yes exactly what I am looking for!:)

But I can't find a 'push on - push off' switch that is really small like the stock momentary switch. (which is built with some type of simple circuit that allows it to be a constant on switch, but with very limited current flow)

If you know where I can find a micro sized 'push on - push off' switch, please let me know...
Jay

jayrob

Enlightened
Reflector retrofit!

Man! I'm really happy with being able to fit the head of the tiny Key chain light with a machined down reflector from the Pocket Mini host, and an 11mm X 1mm thick piece of flat glass. (this is the modified lens from the Pocket Mini host, modified using a sand blaster)

MCBL16.jpg

MCBL17.jpg

MCBL18.jpg

MCBL19.jpg

This little sucker has some throw now! :) Nice center spot too! Not bad for the size of it!...
Jay

Last edited:

jayrob

Enlightened
Thanks for the compliment!:)

I didn't think it was physically possible! I 'scrapped' the idea long ago, but was bored today and decided to see how much reflector was left after I turned it down small enough to slide through.

Turns out that there was just enough of it left to actually give it some throw!
Jay

lumafist

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jumpin zebras in the cage this frickin awesome...........:huh:

You sure have an eye for details my friend....:cool:

jayrob

Enlightened
Thanks for the props guys!:)

This little project was so cool, I just had to show it... But I know that there are some really serious flashlight mods out there, so I wasn't sure what you guys would think of this little key chain mod...
Jay

Last edited:

lumafist

Flashlight Enthusiast
So when are you going to do one from scratch....:cool:

And do you do custom parts.......??

jayrob

Enlightened
Well, I have a lot of custom heatsinks for various hosts and stuff, but pretty much all of them are for laser modifications. I have DIY build kits and heatsinks shown here:
http://www.sonic.net/~jayrob/MXDL/

I post mostly on LPF, but I like flashlights too!:) I've done a few other flashlight mods, but nothing really outstanding. Just some Q5 mods when the emitters first came out. Here's some of them:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2374204https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2374478#post2374478
Jay

Last edited:

jayrob

Enlightened
Thanks!:)

My personal favorite is what I call my 'Pocket Mini'. It is the size of your index finger! The kit I sell is basically the host, the heatsink, and the pill is modified for an easy fit for the driver.

All that is needed is a battery, diode, and driver!

It is for a blu-ray or a red build, and can light a match at 20'!:cool:

The first post in the thread is a tutorial for the build. I have it mirrored here at CPF, but the main thread is at LPF for more feedback and questions answered:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1231664443/0

Light is awesome! I can't believe how a single 3 volt lithium battery can light a match 20' away!

It's one of those things that just never ceases to amaze... I've built probably 200 lasers. (because I used to sell complete builds, but I only sell DIY kits now) But I am still amazed when I do my 5' 'instantaneous match light' for marking my 5' focal point.
Jay

Last edited: