bd4377

Newly Enlightened
I have a military infrared searchlight:

Searchlight, Infrared
AN/VSS - 1(v)2
ID # SC-D-613825-4
Ser # 0171
MSN 5855-00-137-8289

I would like to sell, dont know where to find someone interested. Does anyone have a starting point for me?

bd4377

Newly Enlightened
I've got an AN/VSS-1(V)2 searchlight for sale. Reading all the posts has made me realize that working on light maybe a little out of my skill set!

CarbonArc

Newly Enlightened
Its been awhile since my last contributions to CPF but i was wondering how anyone is making out with their AN/VSS-1 lights, been looking to sell mine for quite some time now seeing as its taking up too much space in the garage, i will get some pics and post them on the WTS forum!!! let me know if anyone has any updates!

[URL=http://news.webshots.com/photo/2402631650087481607dgFLhq]
[/URL]

Last edited:

IgNITEor

Newly Enlightened
Yep, a VSS-1 and all of it's associated hardware does take up some space in
an average residential garage!
Thank the industrial revolution for affordable dolly's.

If I didn't "work" the Death Ray for two weeks of the summer, it too would
be in trouble.

Leaving for the Black Rock desert in T-minus: 4 days, 20 hours, 30 mins. :cool:

Your rig looks very clean. If it wasn't for CarbonArc's thread on this fabulous
apparatus, where would we be today?

Bill Idaho

Newly Enlightened
I pull my VSS-1 around on a military M103A2 trailer, behind my 5 ton M54A2C. I am trying to finish my little brother to the VSS-1, my VSS-3 on a M116A2 trailer. (I might get another VSS-1 and make the bigger trailer a twin-mount.) It should look pretty neat when done. The actual light is about 1/3 the size of the -1, the trailer is about half the size of the bigger one, and the generator I plan on using is about half-scale as well. (I'm more then likely going to have to buy a duece-and-a-half, so I have a truck about half the size of my 5 ton to drag it around.) If I had any web-fu skills, I would post some pictures.

If I could only find a 600-1000 watt bulb and matching ballast...............

Bill Idaho

Newly Enlightened
One step forward--two steps back.
I finished the trailer the other day. Paint, wiring, stencils, top, etc. It looks like new! I tossed a GI 1500 watt,110 VAC generator up on it and I'm ready for some portable sunshine.
So after reading on a thread here somewhere about a suitable ballast- a Lumatek 110 VAC dimmable 1000 watt unit was decided upon, UNTIL I read the fine print and it says "do not run off of a generator...".
So, I thought I was a little closer, only to find.....
not.

Bill Idaho

Newly Enlightened
As I've mentioned before, you just have to know where to look. I go to military vehicle meets/shows, and more often than not there are VSS-1's and VSS-3's for sale. Compared to some of the prices I see, they are somewhat cheaper at those places.

GSS

Newly Enlightened
A good source for military connectors is William Perry in Louisville, KY. He is not real good with email and does not have much of a web presence, but you can reach him at 502/893-8724

He has sold me several sets of connectors for VSS-3A lights.

Dave Ross N7EPI

GSS

Newly Enlightened
Many cellular telephone towers have equipment that runs off 28 VDC. Lots of older power supplies are removed from service and sold at surplus prices when a cell site is upgraded.

The older power supplies are not as efficient as the newer power supply designs and are removed and sold off even though they still work fine - the more efficient supplies pay for themselves pretty quick given that they are running full-time at close to full capacity.

The slightly lower efficiency of the older supplies doesn't bother me at all considering the low purchase price and how little I use the supply.

You might watch your local newspaper or craigslist, look for industrial surplus for sale. I found a 28 Volt 280 Amp. power supply for cheap, because it was too large (!) for most hobbyists.

happy hunting
Dave Ross N7EPI

lightjeep

Newly Enlightened
Are spare bulbs available for the vss-1 or GSS-14 ?? How much? Who has them? Thanks in advance

IgNITEor

Newly Enlightened
And.....just in case someone may be looking :whistle: A ready- to-mount GSS version.
Looks like this model may be the basic mount without the lighted azimuth indicator.

And the seller says they'll be listing a 30" model soon?
Could this mean the water-cooled TVS-3?

Happy Holidays everyone!

BravoKilo

Newly Enlightened
I bought my VSS-3 from him. That listing has been up for a while, I am kind of surprised that it has not yet been taken.... It has been relisted about 3 times now. And I also see that he is listing 10 of these 10!!!! I feel a hole burning in my wallet!!!

Last edited:

IgNITEor

Newly Enlightened
That's alright, cuz we seem to want each other's BIG lights from time to time! Wish my -1 could focus like yours!
Now I'm gonna jump to your thread an see what you've gotten yourself into lately :naughty:

BravoKilo

Newly Enlightened
Oh - I am in a me$$ if you know what I mean. And seeing those VSS-1's.... Since given the opportunity of running one for a few hours this summer I have been bitten! It is perhaps the most useless of hobbies (not like owning a 20" reflector telescope), but I get it - these are fun to play with!!! Did somebody say 30"????

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
IIRC, those 30" water-cooled lights have internal bulb pressures in the 4-figure PSI range. Scarey stuff! I looked at buying one a few years ago but decided against it. To dangerous. Igniteor, do you have -1 focusing issues?

IgNITEor

Newly Enlightened
Good Morning!
Actually, I didn't describe that correctly. I'm referring to the adjustable beam-spread the -3 has vs. fixed with the -1 :(
However, when I removed the reflector for the deep cleaning ritual, I mistakenly replaced it upside down. The beam has a slight
deviation now and the mounting bolt doesn't torque down all the way!

This might explain the metallic sticker I found being used as a shim. Pretty sure that's not allowed by Army spec's.

Latest posts