Angled ~4000K hCRI mule

PaladinNO

Enlightened
the bay perhaps or that river?
The bay was the first place I checked. Only thing I found there was a H600 Mk. 4. No luck at the nearby river either, or a local pond, where some lady chased me off saying it was private property.

I think I'll wait until I hear back from Hank Wang at the Emisar bazaar, regarding a DW4 mule. Or a donkey, or whatever else he has kickin' over there.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
A couple of questions before I make a final decision here, and making an order at Hank / Emisar:
- Is the LED-driver anything I need to be specific about?
I know nothing about about those, I only know I want longer runtime and low heat, and I don't need a high Lumen max output. 1000 Lumen from 8x E21A (4x 3500K + 4x 4500K) is plenty - and I don't even know whether that is a realistic Lumen number.

- Are all Nichia E21A (specifcally 3500K & 4500K) chips high CRI (90-95 or better)?
Good colour rendering is critical, and I'm guessing there are low CRI (waste)bins in this market as well. Similar to the "silicon lottery" for PC CPUs.

sim1tti

Newly Enlightened
I know nothing about about those, I only know I want longer runtime and low heat, and I don't need a high Lumen max output. 1000 Lumen from 8x E21A (4x 3500K + 4x 4500K) is plenty - and I don't even know whether that is a realistic Lumen number.
Ask him if he can give you the boost driver with your set up. If available, it would be better for efficiency. He may not be able to do it with dual channel, or the 8x mule, but you can ask. With 8 white emitters, you're likely to have more light than you'd ever really use.

- Are all Nichia E21A (specifcally 3500K & 4500K) chips high CRI (90-95 or better)?
No experience with those.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple of questions before I make a final decision here, and making an order at Hank / Emisar:

Good colour rendering is critical, and I'm guessing there are low CRI (waste)bins in this market as well. Similar to the "silicon lottery" for PC CPUs.

I believe the boost driver option will give you a lower output, but higher efficiency, I'm not sure that's compatible with the E21A or not, double check with Hank.

The E21A emitters that Hank offers are all high CRI, so you need not worry about getting standard CRI LEDs.

sim1tti

Newly Enlightened
EDIT: I totally forgot to mention, domed 519As aren't an option for Hank's mules, there isn't enough clearance between the dome and the lens.
I believe Hank figured out how to squeak out a hair's bit more clearance. My DW4 mule is 4x 519a domed.

@PaladinNO, I just used my DW4 tonight. The thing is super bright with just four emitters. Lights up a whole garage on high (not turbo). Pretty crazy for a muel. Can't immagine what eight emitters will look like. I'd say the light from the 4000k nichias is about as close to neutral as it gets. Only slightly warm.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
From what I see on some other Emisar models, the "boost driver" is specifically NOT compatible with the E21A. But I'll ask Hank with specifics once he replies back.

Any guess on what the price will be for something like this? I'm expecting $80-85.
Also, what sort of battery do I need? Can I use a protected flat top cell (got plenty of Fenix ARB-2600-L2 on hand)?
The "Molicel INR18650-M35A" is available to me, if that's a good battery.

For output, 8x E21A 4000K "mix" in a mule will be about 1900 Lumen. Which is pretty much double of what I need.

From the specs on the lights I already own:
Fireflies PL47MU 9x E21A 3800K "mix" is 2200 Lumen.
Noctigon K9.3 9x E21A 3500K is 2150 Lumen.
DT8K 8x E21A 4500K is 1800 Lumen.

I really hope Hank can do it. Am looking to buy three of these lights now. One for a friend of mine, one as a gift, and - because I have to, with a full custom light - one for myself.

sim1tti

Newly Enlightened
Any guess on what the price will be for something like this? I'm expecting $80-85.
No idea.

Also, what sort of battery do I need? Can I use a protected flat top cell (got plenty of Fenix ARB-2600-L2 on hand)?
The "Molicel INR18650-M35A" is available to me, if that's a good battery.
Protected button tops wont work. I'm fond of the Sanyo 10A flat tops. You'll want something with min 10A continuous discharge. Each emitter can draw 2A, so I'm not sure the driver is even up to powering all of them to their utmost. You may ask him if a 20A battery would make a difference.

I really hope Hank can do it. Am looking to buy three of these lights now. One for a friend of mine, one as a gift, and - because I have to, with a full custom light - one for myself.
Maybe try one first, see if it's what you want? Shipping is free.

Good luck!

PaladinNO

Enlightened
This seems complicated for some reason - got back from Hank, but he talked about the 16 pcs E21A mule. :unsure:
I was very specific in my request: DW4 mule, with 8x Nichia E21A in a circle. 4x 3500K and 4x 4500K
But he didn't mention a 8x E21A mule at all.

I get that English isn't his first language, so I am trying to dumb down my grammar as much as I can, and keeping my questions short.

EDIT:
Okay, being very, VERY specific helped:
There is no 8x E21A mule with aux LEDs. #cry

So I have made my order. Standard DW4 (Cyan), custom DW4 mule (Stone White), and a dual-channel full copper D4K for myself.
All with a E21A 3500 / 4500K config.

And once this order arrives, I will officially be a flashlight collector. Because the copper D4K is meant to be a shelf queen (*looks around for a glass box to keep it in*).

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to come off as rude or anything, but did you do any Google research on the light or it's straight headed sibling with the E21A? There's actually quite a bit posted out there, especially on Reddit.

sim1tti

Newly Enlightened
Okay, being very, VERY specific helped:
There is no 8x E21A mule with aux LEDs. #cry

So I have made my order. Standard DW4 (Cyan), custom DW4 mule (Stone White), and a dual-channel full copper D4K for myself.
All with a E21A 3500 / 4500K config.

And once this order arrives, I will officially be a flashlight collector. Because the copper D4K is meant to be a shelf queen (*looks around for a glass box to keep it in*).
I'm a little confused. I thought you didn't care for the colored aux LEDs and wanted a custom mule with 8 white emitters like in the Reddit pics. But now you want the colored aux emitters?

If going with the standard 4 emitters, a 10 A battery will be fine.
Not to come off as rude or anything, but did you do any Google research on the light or it's straight headed sibling with the E21A? There's actually quite a bit posted out there, especially on Reddit.
You mean the D4V2? Am I correct in thinking the bodies are interchangeable between the D4V2 and DW4?

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a little confused. I thought you didn't care for the colored aux LEDs and wanted a custom mule with 8 white emitters like in the Reddit pics. But now you want the colored aux emitters?

If going with the standard 4 emitters, a 10 A battery will be fine.

You mean the D4V2? Am I correct in thinking the bodies are interchangeable between the D4V2 and DW4?

Yes, the D4V2. Just searching Emisar E21A mule brings up a lot. I think they are interchangable, but not 100% sure.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
Personally, I could do without the aux LEDs, but it would be a nice bonus since this would be a full custom light. Everything quickly became more complicated than I had expected. A full custom light wasn't a part of the initial plan.

Also, one of these lights would be for a friend of mine, and I know he would like aux LEDs since he's big fan of unicorn vomit in general (...I know this, because I built his PC on commission).

I also want one such light to be a gift to someone whom I know would not care for aux LEDs at all. I initially didn't care about aux LEDs, because I didn't intend any of these lights to be for myself. But everything has been a rush job since I had to realize Fireflies wouldn't deliver, and so I wanted to have "everything" in all of the lights, and leave it up to the user - me or someone else - to decide whether or not to use the aux light.

Last edited:

PaladinNO

Enlightened
did you do any Google research on the light or its straight headed sibling with the E21A? There's actually quite a bit posted out there, especially on Reddit.
Both yes and no - there hasn't been much time for research in this. I found numerous threads on E21A mules on Reddit in my quick search for pictures on whether a mule conversion could be done or not, and on which models it could be done on.

I didn't really want a 18650 light. I was always after a right-angled 21700 light, which I knew would be a limiting factor.
The DW4 ended up as being the "best compromise". I never even planned a custom light at all, since I expected Fireflies to be able to deliver more of their PL47 mules.

But everything became a rush job when Fireflies stopped giving a s**t. One light is meant to be a gift, and I was hoping to have it in hand to give away in 2 days from now (made the second FIreflies order almost 6 weeks ago, and I still haven't heard a word from them despite several emails, so a PayPal chargeback has been issued).

So at this point I am planning on giving away the single Fireflies PL47 mule I was able to get, get the custom DW4 for myself as a replacement, and the standard DW4 with aux LEDs for my friend.

EDIT:
The full copper D4K is separate from all of this. I have just wanted a full copper light for some time now, and this seemed like a good a time as any to get one.

Last edited:

PaladinNO

Enlightened
Someone please tell me I have made the right choice, because this is getting expensive...

- "Stock" Emisar DW4 dual-channel, Nichia E21A 2x 3500K + 2x 4500K.
- Custom Emisar DW4 mule, single-channel Nichia E21A 8x 3500K + 8x 4500K.
- "Stock" Emisar D4K full copper, dual-channel Nichia E21A 2x 3500K + 2x 4500K.
- FedEx express shipping.

$57 shipping
$296.61 total.

WHY did the E21A 3500K + 4500K tint combo have to be so good!? xD

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone please tell me I have made the right choice, because this is getting expensive...

- "Stock" Emisar DW4 dual-channel, Nichia E21A 2x 3500K + 2x 4500K.
- Custom Emisar DW4 mule, single-channel Nichia E21A 8x 3500K + 8x 4500K.
- "Stock" Emisar D4K full copper, dual-channel Nichia E21A 2x 3500K + 2x 4500K.
- FedEx express shipping.

$57 shipping
$296.61 total.

WHY did the E21A 3500K + 4500K tint combo have to be so good!? xD
looks ok to me...

after all, it's your dough bro.

sim1tti

Newly Enlightened
I'm more of a feet-first consumer. Big commitment for a new-to-you brand and emitter. But go for it if you got the money and confidence.

Didn't know you were getting the 16 white emitter light. Definitely ask him about how many amps you'll need. 10A may not cut it.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm more of a feet-first consumer. Big commitment for a new-to-you brand and emitter. But go for it if you got the money and confidence.

Didn't know you were getting the 16 white emitter light. Definitely ask him about how many amps you'll need. 10A may not cut it.

I think it has more emitters because the E21A can't handle as much current as others can. The overall output or current draw isn't actually increased IIRC.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
An update here...because this was disappointing. intl-outdoor managed to mix up the order.

I ordered a Cyan DW4 for a friend of mine, with all the RGB bells and whistles, and a Stone White DW4 mule for myself, specifying "I want the STONE WHITE as a mule" (sic). And paid $57 for express shipping to have everythng arrive as quickly as possible.

...And I received a Cyan mule. And I was just offered a measly 20% off one of the lights as compensation, despite neither of them being what I ordered.

Total cost for the order, with shipping and custom fees and import taxes was $326. Quite steep for not receiving what I ordered...

At least I cannot fault the full copper dual-channel D4K, E21A 3500K + 4500K I also bought for myself. That one is perfection to use and a piece of art to look at.
But I am not a happy camper right now.

EDIT:
For batteries, I bought 2x Samsung INR18650-25R (20A, 2500 mAh) intended for the mule, and 2x Molicel INR18650-M35A (10A, 3500 mAh) for the regular DW4.

Don't know the driver or power draw for the 16 LED E21A, but Hank confirmed beforehand 20A would be fine with it. Regular DW4 is listed as 2A per LED.

It wasn't completely random, but the whole thing quickly escalated into more of a yolo big splash than toe-dipping to feel the waters first.

I already have an Emisar E21A 3500K (Noctigon K9.3) and E21A 4500K (DT8K). I feel the 3500K is a tad too yellowy, and the 4500K a bit too cold, but when combined...it's just pure beauty! And the combination of the two makes things look more natural than anything I have ever seen (apart from under the sun, obviously ^^).

Last edited:

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
An update here...because this was disappointing. intl-outdoor managed to mix up the order.

I ordered a Cyan DW4 for a friend of mine, with all the RGB bells and whistles, and a Stone White DW4 mule for myself, specifying "I want the STONE WHITE as a mule" (sic). And paid $57 for express shipping to have everythng arrive as quickly as possible.

...And I received a Cyan mule. And I was just offered a measly 20% off one of the lights as compensation, despite neither of them being what I ordered.

Total cost for the order, with shipping and custom fees and import taxes was $326. Quite steep for not receiving what I ordered...

At least I cannot fault the full copper dual-channel D4K, E21A 3500K + 4500K I also bought for myself. That one is perfection to use and a piece of art to look at.
But I am not a happy camper right now.

EDIT:
For batteries, I bought 2x Samsung INR18650-25R (20A, 2500 mAh) intended for the mule, and 2x Molicel INR18650-M35A (10A, 3500 mAh) for the regular DW4.

Don't know the driver or power draw for the 16 LED E21A, but Hank confirmed beforehand 20A would be fine with it. Regular DW4 is listed as 2A per LED.

It wasn't completely random, but the whole thing quickly escalated into more of a yolo big splash than toe-dipping to feel the waters first.

I already have an Emisar E21A 3500K (Noctigon K9.3) and E21A 4500K (DT8K). I feel the 3500K is a tad too yellowy, and the 4500K a bit too cold, but when combined...it's just pure beauty! And the combination of the two makes things look more natural than anything I have ever seen (apart from under the sun, obviously ^^).
send it all back for a refund...