Another hunting request

Mark Wo

Newly Enlightened
Read the other hunting request on this page and my requirements are a little different. Been on this site before and appreciate the support.

After much reading, I had thought the Fenix HL55 was going to meet my needs. Problem comes when purchasing the light. I am not too keen on purchasing a light I can't see first or one that can't be easily returned if it does not meet the needs it is purchased for.. I called Fenix and was told who in my area has the light in question. I visited every retailer suggested and not one had it. I called back to Fenix and asked for the distributor who has my geographic area. I called the distributor in Colorado and they couldn't offer anything new. No one in MN seems to carry the headlamp.

When I called Fenix I enquired about what makes their light "natural". Was it a lower color temp, a higher CRI. No one could answer the question, just said it was natural. Being in the LED business, what some call natural others call cool, what some call daylight others call something else. There is no industry standard other than a specific color temperature or CRI value.

I want to order the lamp but every place I can order it from says if the packaging is damaged I either can't return or I will be charged a 25% restocking fee. I have seen the package, and it appears to me that it can't be opened without damaging the package. Guess that creates a dilemma.

Didn't mean to make this a Fenix rant - I just thought this was going to be the right light for me. Anyway.

I do quite a bit of small stream floating in the early morning hours. I have a nice handheld spotlight and now need a nice headlamp. What I have not liked about my prior low cost headlamps and my spotlights is the low CRI or high color temperature of the LED's used. They wash out the greens and water. When floating, I need to see what the water is doing and see any low overhanging foliage. I also need to see about 30 - 50 yards (more would be better) in front of me clearly. My old headlamp doesn't cut it and using a spot light takes one hand away from paddling.

I bought at the local Walmart a Coast HL7 without knowing anything about it. Nice light and the ability to change from spot to flood was pretty cool. Couple things about this lamp that didn't work for me - I found it not bright enough and the LED color temperature was quite high washing out the colors I need to see (also hunt in snow quite a bit and high CT does not work well for me).

So I seek guidance. How can I see an HL55 in action, or purchase one with the ability to return it if is not what I hoped it would be, or what is another recommendation for my application?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Mark

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you buy one on eBay, most sellers have a 14 day return policy. If you don't like it, you can ship it back (usually at your expense) and get a full refund. That's probably the best you'll get since not many retailers carry a large variety of quality lights.

Mark Wo

Newly Enlightened
I think I solved my dilemma. Home Depot actually can order the Fenix line. Their return policy is not restrictive and will take back the light should it not be what I am looking for. While placing the online order, I was reading their price match guarantee. They match other online stores. Started a chat session and they matched the much lower ($20 lower) online site price. What a great deal. Should see the HL55 in a week or so.

I am fairly certain I will like the light, just hate to be in a situation where I couldn't return it if it did not meet expectations and being unable to see it in action anywhere first, made it tough to blindly order.

Mark

davesc

Newly Enlightened
Hey Mark...Let us know what you think and your opinion of the light when you get it. You have my curiosity up.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hunt with a Nitecore HC90. Sorta, it is a modified version, HC90vn, by one of our members Vinh. He turns it into a freaking photon blaster on your forehead. I like it due to the slide that can be worked easily by gloves and the multicolored leds. I have a neutral main led, Green, blue or red secondary leds.
But the Fenix you choose is a nice light too.

no_1_u_know

Newly Enlightened
I hunt with a Nitecore HC90. Sorta, it is a modified version, HC90vn, by one of our members Vinh. He turns it into a freaking photon blaster on your forehead...

Can you share Vinh's modification? Perhaps there's a thread? That looks like a great light!

Thanks!

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
Can you share Vinh's modification? Perhaps there's a thread? That looks like a great light!

Thanks!

From what I read he boosts the light output from 900 lumens to 1250 lumens by upping true current. I am thinking of dropping him an email to see if he can still do the mod and what it will cost. 350 lumens is a great boost especially when you consider that you have infinite adjustment with the slider anyway.

Here is the link. If you want to search for more info search for Nitecore HC90vn

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?386085-HC90vn-The-Best-Headlamp

bob

ETA:

IMO it is the perfect headlamp and Vin's mod just makes it better.

Last edited: