Another Noob question... Mag replacement reflectors

JTR

Newly Enlightened
Another Noob question... Mag replacement reflectors

I beg your patience.

I keep seeing references to different MagLite replacement reflectors, but do not have any idea as to the meaning of some of the abbreviations/names of the reflectors, or what they do to the light

Would you mind explaining to me the differences in the following aftermarket reflectors. What do they do differently than the factory reflector and differently than each other?

Heavy Stipple, HOP Finish, Light Stipple, LOP Finish, Medium Stipple, Mirror Finish, MOP Finish.

Thanks, Chris

litho123

Enlightened
Hi JTR -

Welcome to CPF.

This thread covers the very question you ask and also includes links to some beamshots.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=123366

The stock plastic reflector will not handle more than 10w before starting to soften/melt/deform. One can easily determine the wattage of a bulb with the following formula:
voltage times amperage = watts
Example: The WA 01185 bulb ... 9.6v ... 3.15a
9.6 * 3.15 = 30.24watts @ spec

For this reason, folks use metal reflectors and UCL / Borofloat lenses.
The cosmetic differences in the reflector surface affect the beam pattern and you have a tradeoff as you move from a #1 to a #7.
You move from a distance thrower with an ugly, uneven beam (#1) to a (#7) smooth surefire type beam with less throw. All the reflector finishes in between are compromises between these two extremes. In terms of sales, the Medium Orange Peel has been the best seller before the stippled reflectors became available.

I hope this helps.