another two SL123A batteries failure

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
this morning i try to turn-on my TL-3 and it remain off... what happend? it have only few minutes of runtime and yesterday it work very well... i try on a voltmeter the tree batteries and two are near zero, the third battery is like new /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

now where i can find new 123a with the max voltage? (like 3,1 3,2v...)

batterystation

Enlightened
If they worked the other day and now are near zero, it sounds like the light might have accidently turned on and ran them dead. Does not really sound like a battery failure since they were fine before.
Just a thought.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Kevin,
I think the TL-3 takes 3 cells and he said 2 of them were dead while the other one was fine. Would it be normal for 2 of the 3 cells to die while not draining the third one? I had never heard of this happening but of course I learn something new everyday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had several 123 cells die overnight. Many others have also reported this.

Some people want you to believe the flashlight did it. I don't believe it. The cells somehow just die. Most of mine were Sanyo brand. Other people have had Surefires die this way.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'd be surprised how quickly 15-30 minutes can pass. Could the light have been used for more than a few minutes? Could someone else have used the light? How old is your light?

I have had several brands of 123's quit working well before they should have and they often die overnight. It seems to be the nature of the beast and is a good reason to carry extra cells.

batterystation

Enlightened
I guess I misunderstood the total number of cells. Assuming they were all fresh when installed, no it would not be normal for two of three to discharge at any other rate than the third. I guess I have no explanation for this sort of thing other than battery failure. ???
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
the TL-3 is new and it is the originals batteries that i have find in the package... two of them go to zero in few minutes and the third is still like new in fact now i use it in the twintask 1L...

but ok isn't a problem 2 dameged batteries... but does exist R123A with 3volts? i have see only at 3,7v and it securely blow any bulb...

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
CR 123 cells should show 3.2 open circuit volts but that drops to around 2.5 volts under a one amp load. Measuring the "flash amps" will give a better indication of the condition of used cells. While a used 123 may indicate 2.8, or more, volts, it may not be able to deliver much current into a load. Less than, about, six amps and the cell is close to the end of its life for high drain use.

RussH

Enlightened
Jflash said what I was going to say. I've found it pretty unreliable to try and tell state of charge of 123s using the oc voltage. And I have also had a cell fail (2.8v or lower, usually, but sometimes 2.85v) and still had enough life left in one that it appeared fresh. The flash test would be useful if you really depend on this light. I have several lights and usually just carry extra 123s.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
The batteries shown on Ebay are probably made in China. I have been using some Chinese made batteries that I paid .99 ea for. I have had decent luck with these. I think any of the 123 batteries has the occasional problems. even if the run time on the under $1.00 batteries is less than a premium the price more than makes up for it.