Any EMTs or Paramedics out there?

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
Reciprocy (sp?) (the ability to use one cert in another area), depends on the locality. In NJ, national is accepted, as well as NY certs, but NJ certs arent nessesarily accepted elsewhere.

We just went back to a state cert only testing system.

There is also a higher number of CEU's (Continuing Education Units) required for the National Certification then is required for my Cert. There are different procedures for receritifying in each state.

As far as I know, California is pretty complicated, with each county having their own guidelines. And in some states they use numbers rather then letters. And the certifications might not nessesarily match up. IE: what you can and can't do.

In NJ, We only have EMT-Basics (B), and EMT-Paramedics (P). There are no I's. B's can't intubate, we have no electronic cardiac monitoring, and we do not start intravenous lines. There are VERY limited restrictions on what drugs we can administer or assist the patient with. There are no volunteer Medics, and every medic program is run by a hospital system.

swampgator

Enlightened
coldsolderjoint said:
Lots of aspects of EMS in the US are largely regional and specific to area or department.

For instance, I took the national registry assesment test in NJ, and while I was attending school in Florida, in order to work as an EMT in Florida, I would have to go take the National Assesment Test Again. I found this to be retarted. I would have also had to pay the entire testing fee to make 9 bucks an hour. Not worth it for me.

Florida is wacky that way. They won't accept a lot of other state certs in varying fields. An example Missouri state Police standards are accepted and transferable to 49 out of 50 states. Guess who's the one state not on the list? Florida!

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
coldsolderjoint said:
As far as I know, California is pretty complicated, with each county having their own guidelines. And in some states they use numbers rather then letters. And the certifications might not nessesarily match up. IE: what you can and can't do.

California is now requireing NREMT certs, but if you already are an EMT you maintain it for the area you work in. You can also obtain NREMT by taking the, now online, exam and doing the skills testing.
I am an EMT under an agreement that covers three counties. The skills testing is more than required at the national level, but what we are allowed to do is much more limited. There are some thing I teach in a basic first aid class that they can do but I can't do when on duty here as an EMT.

Qben

Newly Enlightened
supes said:
I'm curious, do you guys always have on protective glasses on like M-frame type wraparounds when on the call?

I didn't used to wear glasses except when intubating or anything else where I saw an increased potential for exposure, but I recently purchased some that I wear on most calls now.

I learned the hard way that you can't always predict things like that even if you are careful. About 2 mos ago I picked up a woman who had taken a few too many of her pills. She was cooperative with me and I put in a saline lock before transporting to the ER. While I was on the phone giving report to the hospital, she suddenly grabbed my pen off the bench and tried to stab herself in the wrist! I restrained her and kept her from hurting herself, but broke the pen and my glove and got ink everywhere. Then she managed to get hold of her saline lock and ripped it out sending the fluid across my face! That sucks. Needless to say, we applied restraints and delivered her to the hospital. When she was in the ER she ate the paper mask they put on her face in case she decided to spit! Some people.

As it turns out there was no blood that got in my face or eyes, just saline coming out of the lock. I think I've learned my lesson.

reptiles

Enlightened
supes said:
Hi guys, I'm starting a EMT basic course right now, and just want to hear all those who have gone through it and their experiences esp. on the job. I'm not sure what I want to do yet, so I decided to try this out. The way I see it, its an excuse to make sure I have a couple of good lights on person for this kind of job. :D

Hi, I've been an EMT-P for the past 29 years but I only worked in the field for a year or two before taking a job in a busy university trauma center/ ER. My employer paid for college so I took advantage and acquired a few degrees. I developed a center for bioterrorism and disaster preparedness (training mostly) and later became involved in human simulation bots. I teach first year med students now, and work as an anti-terrorism consultant.

I have worked on cruise ships, for film production companies, the Googleplex, and for two US embassies.

EMTs don't always have to work in ambulances. There are interesting (and more profitable) options including industrial first-aid and occupational safety; in-hospital critical care technicians; aeromedical transports; tactical EMTs that work with the FBI, DEA, etc. In short, EMT is a great gateway to a whole host of related (and no so related) jobs.

I wish you all the best.

coontai

Newly Enlightened
Mike Painter said:
At any level you will be writing reports. If you are an EMTB in a small volunteer fire department in the sticks that have paramedic based ambulance service your reports will be minimal and ignored unless you get sued.
From the paramedic level up you will be writing LONG reports on every patient

Be *very* aware than EMTs and Paramedics have a very high burnout rate."

Soooooooooooooooooooooo true.

tincanblower

Newly Enlightened
This is probably way too late, but it would be good to check out how you're getting on.
I'm an Emergency Medical Technician in the UK, and worked with HM Coastguard for a while. If all goes to plan, I should qualify as a UK Paramedic some time in 2012 - but possibly earlier.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Matt