Any Interest in Starting a New "Weekly Challenge" Series?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I was thinking along the lines of one of your ideas in post 6 jen-luc, when I said "break out those bluemens". In SureFire lore you had the G2L or A2-white, early LED maglites, how about that ARC aaa or Fenix E01?.. That's where I was going with that. Matter of fact being there are so many who haaaaaaated bluemens that one may be a difficult challenge since so many modified their old faithful baby-blue beamed units.

Unless the challenge is high powered rotary or a brand starting with the letter Y I'm kinda ready for anything. Well, actually I have zero lights over 2200 lumens (ProTac HL4) so there's that too.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Here's an idea --

How about an Entire Week on just a single AA cell ! ! !
(spoiler alert: I'd choose an L91)

Then, after we've honed our skills on that challenge . . . . .

Followed by an Entire Week on a single AAA cell !

Count me IN ! ! !

:candle:
_

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Here's an idea --

How about an Entire Week on just a single AA cell ! ! !
(spoiler alert: I'd choose an L91)

Then, after we've honed our skills on that challenge . . . . .

Followed by an Entire Week on a single AAA cell !

Count me IN ! ! !

:candle:
_

I'm in for those,
I have a Manker T01 I don't use much because of the interface but that little 1aa could be used in daylight too. It's quite throwey.
And for a 1aaa my 37 lumen Solitaire could cover a lot of tasks in daylight if close quarters needs light.

nbp

Flashaholic
Oh yeah, Haiku AA and SF Titan Plus AAA on Eneloop Max should do me just fine!

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's. I'm on board for any challenges that I can currently perform.

Also, if it's any use, I dropped a few suggestions in post #6 that seem to have flown under the radar. In fact, now that the revival of the challenges is agreed upon, can we use this thread to make a list of possible challenges?

I did see it; when I was multi-quoting though I missed it due to brain overload and not enough memory! :p

I like the "only throwers" idea. Gives me a good excuse to rock the old Fenix TK20 for a week! Over 6000 lux from only 150 lumens! And neutral white to boot!

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds good! You might start the thread a day or two before the official start of the challenge week so people can see and prep for it a bit. Obviously others may join and try it out anytime after that but it is fun if at least a few people can do it at the same time. :)

Yeah, I could make the post for the Incan Challenge tomorrow (Saturday) which would give people Sunday/Monday to dig stuff out of closets and whatnot. Since that last Incan Week was in 2018(?), a lot of people probably still have some incan stuff at hand.

Which is good, because I took a quick look at the Lowes and HomeDepot sites today, and man there was basically nothing incandescent left! :eek: Philistines! :shakehead

At any rate, I wouldn't want people to run out and buy a bunch of stuff just for a challenge week anyway. To me at least that kind of goes against the spirit of the thing, and most of us already have enough stuff laying around as it is. Of course if there's something you already wanted anyway, then go for it. I'm already guilty because I've been eyeballing a new Maglite drop-in for the thrower challenge. Hey, it's only 16 bucks and, um, I'm helping local business... yea, that's it. :laughing:

As for Incan Week, if we start next week and people are either late to the party, or we get a lot of people jumping in, we could always let it run into the next week too. Hey, I'm not being dogmatic about any of this! It's all in fun so we can laugh at ourselves and each other and have a good time.

:party:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have a 1990's 2C Maglite modified with 2 solar lamp 18500's and a 4 cell bi-pin bulb and a 1972 2C Kel-Lite with same fuel supply and a 4 cell PR base xenon bulb ready to go for incan week. Or a restored 1980's 2D Maglite with a glass lens and PR base xenon bulb.

Or perhaps the 3aa Brinkmann Tri-Max with a LampTronix bulb once used in dash boards of F14 fighter jets.

3-FF52867-9-C62-47-CE-8785-3-CA724401-CB7.jpg

Pretty neat light.
I found a few left on eBay a few years back and bought them since 3aa minimags were near impossible to acquire at the time.

70063-D2-C-C00-B-4-AE0-AB03-348-E25-E0-FCA3.jpg

Worlds ulgiest beam
LampTronix made a bi-pin 2.4 volt 1amp bulb that I was able to get about 5 minutes run time sending 7.2 volts at it. Tough light bulbs for sure.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
How about an E challenge? Not just SureFire E, but anything where the letter E is relevant in the name or model of a light.

Emissar, Energizer, Eveready, E01, E02, E2, SureFire E, that sort of thing.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hm, an "E" challenge huh? Well it's got 4 votes already! :)

I'm thinking it may need to be a little more specific as to the "E".

Such as, you have to choose that the E is for the company name (Energizer), or the model (E01), but not both.

Also, the E can only be at the start of the name or model (no Fenix or Maglite) for example.

Would that be too restrictive? I figure most people would have a few lights at least that had name or model starting with E.

I wouldn't have too many choices myself. I've got a single Energizer for an E company name light. For models, I've got the Fenix E01 and E21, and Lumintop EDC01. Those last three would cover me pretty well though.

If we also allow lamp module models that start with E, then I could keep using the Lumens Factory EO-4 that I've had on hand for incan week! :D

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
Just an observation, but I think using E in the model name would allow more people to take part, because there`s more of those that I can think of than Manufacturer names. it wouldn`t be cool to exclude too many people, especially if they couldn`t take part in the first one.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
And no "sounds like E" either. Like Husky to go with the not within the name like Fenix or Maglite.

But how about a Malkoff MDC with a VME head for example? Ok with folks?

I've got one already in mind. The classic Pentagon answer to the 6P called eX2. An incan twisty that has a Malkoff M60T.

So, stress test, would it be one light for the entire week or something that allows variety?

Last edited:

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking multiple lights are allowed for this one. The only restriction being that each person chooses at the beginning whether to use lights with a brand name that starts with "E" (Energizer, Eveready, etc), or just model names that start with "E" (EO1, EDC01, E2e, etc). One or the other, but not both.

For example, since I've only got one brand name light starting with "E" (Energizer), I would go with model names instead since I have 3 different lights where the model name starts with "E".

My choice for "E" model names lets me use all of those 3 I have.

Hosts and drop-in modules may be kind of a gray area, but we'll try to follow the same basic idea. :thinking: