Any Interest in Starting a New "Weekly Challenge" Series?

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'm thinking another one-week break this week. Several of our members may soon be dealing with snow and ice and power outages, if they're not already.

And I'd say there's a 1.02% chance my area may lose power too :D

parang

Newly Enlightened
We had a power-outage a week ago. Just a few hours around midnight. Had a nice walk with a Manker MK41 to "patrol" the neighborhood, The snow covered everything, it was not very dark TBH. :-(

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah. See above. With the incoming weather I figured we'd wait.

I'm down to my last few ideas anyway, so no rush.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
How about a long run challenge as a side project. A light or lights you could use for a whole week after dark without electricity from the grid. Go about your daily routine but at the same time make prep for the possibility.
Call it prepper challenge?

What I mean is a way of keeping your area lit well enough to see the furniture you'd crash into without one, or perhaps see in the bathroom, that sort of thing. Perhaps even read with.

For folks who have solar chargers, or a stockpile of batteries. Using vampires to use up those cells laying around for emergencies, direct drive lights that slowly dim, that sort of thing. It just seems kinda relevant with all of the power being knocked out in the US. Folks can share ideas on how to get more runtime, how to get more from less light like using mirrors, ceiling bounce etc.

Mrs Fixer and I last winter went dark for 3 long nights in early January and tail stood 3 cell Maglites on eco mode in a bathroom, our bedroom and the dining table we hang out at. The ceiling bounce of around 20 lumens lit up each location well enough to see, then little sippers like the Fenix 01 were used to read with if desired. Nearby was a pot of water simmering on a gas stove to keep the lizard warm in a travel cage.

Last edited:

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
..... A light or lights you could use for a whole week after dark without electricity from the grid. ....

It's probably not as big a deal as most people think, I'd say. Especially for anyone who's even moderately into flashlights. Especially with low-mode, long-running LED lights. In the incan only days it'd be a bigger challenge.

I've been 5 consecutive nights with no power after a storm wiped out a lot of infrastructure. Mostly I was just using my E01, and Quarks and Minis on low and moonlight modes. I did mess around outside a bit with high-powered stuff, but inside I used very little. I used some Mag LEDs similar to what you did when I needed some hands-free lighting.

Except for the D-cell Mags, I was using rechargeables and never came anywhere close to needing my backup supply of batteries.

You mainly want to have water, food, and medication on hand in ample enough supplies you don't have to go out anywhere. By day 3 or 4 everybody's shifted into Mad Max mode out there and the grocery stores and gas stations are now the Thunderdome.

Lighting is one of the easier things to prep for in my opinion; just buy a couple packs of lithium primaries in different sizes to suit your lights, put 'em in the closet, maybe add some (empty) lights to sit there next to them, and it's done. For 10+ years anyway.

Food and water take up more space so that takes some planning. Especially water, since it's both heavy and bulky to store.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
For folks who have solar chargers, or a stockpile of batteries. Using vampires to use up those cells laying around for emergencies, direct drive lights that slowly dim,

I have all those things, even down to buying a load of 6v .01A bulbs, these will run for well over a week on 4 D cells and give enough light to work as little waypoints throughout the house. I even have enough water for everyone to last 2 weeks (in case pipes froze/burst). I wouldn`t count myself as a `prepper` by any means, more of a Mother hen really, I`v just seen some bad times and learned from them. ;)

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whew, well for some there were a few crazy weeks there, but I hope everything's gotten back to normal by now.

Are we ready to have another Weekly Challenge yet?? :huh:

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, working on it now. Here's a hint: think of an old dance style. :party:

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Disco? we have to spend a week using colored lights and a mirror ball? :D

Ha, some people refer to strobe, SOS, beacon, and other blinking modes as "Disco modes".

A Disco-mode only challenge could be interesting, but I get a headache just thinking about it! :D

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'll have to search out my old "disco sucks" t-shirt for this one.
Or better yet have a new one made up in a BeeGees font that says "Disco Still Sucks" because the original shirt was probably size medium from my skinny rebelious days and now that I'm in my fat old guy stay off my lawn stage XXL would be more appropriate.

I'd rather do "the twist"……

Latest posts