Any light similar to modlite plhv2 but with a low mode?

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I've been carrying the modlite plhv2 on duty with me for about a year now.

I am extremely impressed with it and love just about everything about it... and has side lined just about every other light I used to carry... it just blew everything I owned out of the water.

however, in certain situations it would be very nice to have a low mode on my light and to get around the modlite only having 1 mode i have been carrying an old school 47 preon p2 with me as well.

however, I was just curious - are there any lights that are comparable in size with the same output and reach that run off 18650's that I should be aware of? I've done a good amount of looking but can't seem to find anything that Is comparable to the plhv2...

the plhv2 is the perfect light for me in just about every way - I don't want anything to change except I just wish it had a low mode!!!!!

side note - the light needs to always be able to always come on high. I don't want to have to cycle through modes to get to high.

Price isn't an issue for any suggestions as long as the lights solid, I'll spend some coin.

Unless I find something that offers practically the same performance as the plhv2 I'm most likely not going to change it and continue carrying both the v2 and preon at work. But was just curious to see if there was anything out there with the plhv2 capability but with a low mode as well!

thanks in advance!

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Rein uses the same W2 emitter as the PLHv2 at a similar 3A-5A draw. No high/low option. Best bet may be to contact Malkoff and inquire as to if and when the W2 may appear as the next-generation M61HOT (or as an XT version). Else, contact Modlite and push for a high/low resistor at the tailcap (ala Elzetta) or head (ala Malkoff). Lack of high/low is the only reason why I no longer own a PLHv2.

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
The Rein uses the same W2 emitter as the PLHv2 at a similar 3A-5A draw. No high/low option. Best bet may be to contact Malkoff and inquire as to if and when the W2 may appear as the next-generation M61HOT (or as an XT version). Else, contact Modlite and push for a high/low resistor at the tailcap (ala Elzetta) or head (ala Malkoff). Lack of high/low is the only reason why I no longer own a PLHv2.

I actually reached out to the modlite team and inquired about possibly adding a low setting to their lights and they said they have no plans on adding low mode to their lights - so that's out...

I might contact malkoff and ask about the W2 like you suggested, that's not a terrible idea. You figure the performance will be around the same? It seems like malkoffs offerings are a bit more tame / less lumen and cd then modlites offerings.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Noctigon kr1 or Fireflies E01 are relatively small and throwy with the Osram w2 but I wouldn't call them tactical, definitely a good edc light.
Acebeam has a few lights that could be good, the ui I like is on the Acebeam L18, L19, and L35. Turbo from the tail cap button, access moonlight and all other modes from the side switch.
If it doesn't need the 50k+ lux, Olight m2r, m2r pro or Surefire Fury all have extra modes and rock solid construction

cvillapaz

Newly Enlightened
The closest thing I can find is the Surefire Dual Fuel Fury Intellibeam version. It's not Low/High, but Intellibeam/High. Intellibeam seamlessly changes the light output depending on the distance, which is good enough for me (but others might not want this set-up). You can switch to High when needed. It's 1,500 Lumens and 25,200 Candela on High and 15 to 1,500 Lumens on Intellibeam mode when using an 18650 battery (Drops down to 1,100 Lumens and 16,700 Candela when using 2 CR123s). I understand Candela is only at 25,200 compared to the PLHv2's 54,000. To date, only Modlite and Cloud Defensive offer American-made, high-lumen, and high-candela tactical flashlights. Modlite offers a handheld but can only go on High. Cloud Defensive doesn't even offer any handhelds yet.

The ultimate light specs would be that of a Modlite PLHv2 that's Dual-Fuel (Takes 1 18650 or 2 CR123s) and has low/high modes. At this point, I'd be happy just to get low/high modes. The Dual Fuel is icing on the cake.

When the light we're looking for arrives, I'd definitely get one! These 4 brands are what I'm really interested in: Surefire, Modlite, Cloud Defensive, and Elzetta.

a dual mode option will be the malkoff m61hot flashlight.

obviously it doesn't have as many lumens and candelas as the phlv2 but do the job very well.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast

I see that the bodies that Modlight sells have the same threads on the back as the E-series SF. It would be nice to install a cap from the EDCL*T on them, but I'm afraid that the thread length will not be enough for correct operation.
+ there is 1 nuance, looking at some reviews, I found this:
1664893101021.png

after about 5 minutes of operation, the brightness is reset to ~ 50%

In that case, I would go with Malkoff E2XTL and a custom body, the same as offered by the SF for the Scout DF or Modlight models, but with a rear thread extended to allow the tailcap from EDCL-1T -2T to be used.

Something like this:

1664893795689.png

1664895295799.png

Maybe FiveMega could help in this matter.

Last edited:

Latest posts