Any reason to get the Nitecore Defender vs the D10?

Ecko

Newly Enlightened
The NDI and NEI are my two edc's and my two favorite of all my lights. Get the NDI, you will not be dissapointed.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The D10's current draw can be stopped by loosening the head slightly.

Fallingwater: If you're ever in a genuine self defence situation, pain is inconsequential and should not be relied on the same way it can be in social situations.

jasonvk77

Newly Enlightened
I use titanium primary's in my EX10 and if i leave the head tightened for more than 2 days(in standby mode) the battery is flat and the light wont power on?:(

I haven't dropped it or abused it.So i would say yes the EX10 has a big current draw in standby based on my experience.

foxtrot29

Enlightened
What the hell??

Did no one suggest to the OP to just get both lights?

Just get both lights.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
i like my d10 gd. its very cool to be able to adjust the light level to exactly what i want, and run on any AA battery. small enough to carry in my front pocket, and bright enough to light a big area ( a whole house for example)in front of me, or dim enough not to wake the wife at night.

like my nt120 too tho:candle:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Can someone confirm that? I assumed that to retain the previous brightness the NDI also draws a small amount of current.

The D10 has to draw current because it uses no mechanical switch. The circuit has to keep waking up to check to see if the switch is being activated.

The NDI has NO parasitic drain whatsoever. The user defined mode is remembered even if you remove the battery and store the light empty.

The Sun

Enlightened
i like the NDI better, i just wish it could tailstand like the D10. other than that i like everything about the NDI better!

and yes just get both!! :D

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
The user memory on the NDI is retained. It is not retained on the D10.
The NDI offers a strobe mode. The D10 does not.

what do you mean user memory is retained on the ndi and not the d10. i have a d10 and when you turn it off, then turn it back on, it comes on the same brightness level as you turned it off.

Cheapskate

Enlightened
what do you mean user memory is retained on the ndi and not the d10. i have a d10 and when you turn it off, then turn it back on, it comes on the same brightness level as you turned it off.

What was meant was that if you take the battery out, it looses the setting.

i like the NDI better, i just wish it could tailstand like the D10. other than that i like everything about the NDI better!

I made a red filter cap for my NDI which can be reversed so the tail sits in it and allows it to tailstand. But there is a really simple, cheap easy alternative:

NitecoreTS.jpg

The foam is used to insulate half inch water pipes and should be easily obtainable from numerous sources.

Hmm, I am not sure about the NDI silver having a better LED. I hadn't heard that. Isn't it just a Q5? However, you can get the non silver NDI with either the Q5, or the Osram Gold Dragon Plus emitter, which is supposed to give a smoother beam and better color rendition than the Q5. The tints with the GD Plus LED's, unfortunately are reported to be a lottery; some are warm, some are a bit cold.

This idea might have originated because the one reviewed on light-reviews has a slightly higher output than the original they tested, but the LED is listed as being the same. I had a quick look at the 4-sevens site and they list an NDI with an R2 emitter in it with a max output of 145 lumens on a Li-ion 14450. A bit odd is that the original is quoted as being 190 lumen with that sort of battery but I think that is doubtful. Perhaps they should clear that up.

I bought an NDI and see no need for any other EDC style light.

As I see it, the NDI's advantages are a better UI, no standby battery drain, strobe, proper momentary switch and the tail cap can be locked out to prevent accidental activation during transport.

My only real criticism of it is that the reflector could be better. This would give it a better ring-free beam. The reflector in my v1 Fenix L1T is noticably better shaped, giving it a better, but much dimmer beam.

I really, really hope Nitecore never make a 6-4 alloy titanium version, with a perfect reflector, no crenealations and a slightly more recessed tail swith so it could tailstand and drop the low to 1 lumen and raise the max while retaining it's present commendable efficiency

I do not collect flashlights but such a thing I simply could not resist. It would be pretty much perfection in my eyes.

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I think what was meant is that if you switch the D10 to full power it loses the user-set mode and needs another ramping sequence to reset it. The NDI retains it and will drop back to user-set mode when the head is loosened.

That is, by the way, the reason why I never got a D10. I can't quite figure out how most D10 users don't throw their light out the window in frustration; I know I would, with a light that constantly loses memory of the user-set mode.

h2oflyer

Enlightened
I've used the NDI Silver as a work EDC for over half a year in a construction/trucking enviroment. It's been jammed in some dirty gritty pockets. Surprisingly Nickel Silver plating hasn't suffored, but lens has some scatches on it. I use my adjustable low in the mornings when dark then twist to high when sun's up and I need more light.

Only gripe is pocket wrecking sharp crenallations. UI and clicky makes this light a winner.

I wanted something new (cheaper than changing other toys) and decided not to get the D10 because of UI and funny switch with battery drain. Bought something else instead but still work carry the NDI - can't hurt it.

Walter

Last edited:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
That is, by the way, the reason why I never got a D10. I can't quite figure out how most D10 users don't throw their light out the window in frustration; I know I would, with a light that constantly loses memory of the user-set mode.
You are missing the point. The beauty of the D10 is its simplicity. Ramp up, ramp down, jump to high, jump to low. It does not lose its memory - it comes back on at the level it was at when you switched it off.

If that's not what you want, then fair enough: there are plenty of other choices available. If you want to be able to switch to high and then switch back to your preset level, then the NDI is there for you. The tradeoff is a slightly more complicated UI. If you want something with more memorised levels, then there are LiteFluxes, NovaTacs and RA Clickys to name but a few.

Choice is king. It would be pointless changing the D10 to be more like those other lights - it's perfect the way it is. Sometimes less really is more.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic

This idea might have originated because the one reviewed on light-reviews has a slightly higher output than the original they tested, but the LED is listed as being the same. I had a quick look at the 4-sevens site and they list an NDI with an R2 emitter in it with a max output of 145 lumens on a Li-ion 14450. A bit odd is that the original is quoted as being 190 lumen with that sort of battery but I think that is doubtful. Perhaps they should clear that up.

I bought an NDI and see no need for any other EDC style light.

As I see it, the NDI's advantages are a better UI, no standby battery drain, strobe, proper momentary switch and the tail cap can be locked out to prevent accidental activation during transport.

1) If you take the battery out, the D10 still remembers it's setting.

2) The 190lm vs 130lm on the original is emitter vs OTF. That is spelled out in the announcement thread.

3) The D10 can also be locked out, same as the NDI. Just back off the head until you are in momentary. This also eliminated the standby drain.

BoarHunter

Newly Enlightened
I've used the NDI Silver as a work EDC for over half a year in a construction/trucking enviroment. It's been jammed in some dirty gritty pockets. Surprisingly Nickel Silver plating hasn't suffored, but lens has some scatches on it. I use my adjustable low in the mornings when dark then twist to high when sun's up and I need more light.

Only gripe is pocket wrecking sharp crenallations. UI and clicky makes this light a winner.

I wanted something new (cheaper than changing other toys) and decided not to get the D10 because of UI and funny switch with battery drain. Bought something else instead but still work carry the NDI - can't hurt it.

Walter

Just slide a piece of bike inner tube (racing bike, small diam) on the NDI head to cover the crenalations.

I did it on mine.

Bike inner tube provides an easy way to cover a light with rubber, thus protecting the finish and make them silent.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main issue with the D10 is, say you were using some intermediate level. You go to hi and you have to ramp back to the level you were using before. The NDI has the advantage of being able to toggle between w/e you want and hi

cal..45

Enlightened
I can't tell anything about the NDI, simply because I don't own one. I do own a D10 though and it is by far the best EDC I've ever had, I use it literally every day (eiter as flashlight or as primary bike light). I would buy it everytime again without hesitation.

cheers

Moonshadow

Enlightened
The main issue with the D10 is, say you were using some intermediate level. You go to hi and you have to ramp back to the level you were using before.
Another way to look at it is - that's the way it was designed.

The nice people at Nitecore have been thoughtful enough to design two different ranges of lights that work in different ways. Giving you a choice. As with everything in life, each has its pros and cons, advantages and disadvantages.

If you want an AA light, you have two choices. If you want a CR123 light you have two choices. You wouldn't choose an AA light and claim that it's an issue that it doesn't work with CR123s. Same thing here. If one UI works better for you then great, but it isn't an issue that the other one works differently.

Last edited:

rolling

Enlightened
Just slide a piece of bike inner tube (racing bike, small diam) on the NDI head to cover the crenalations.

I did it on mine.

Bike inner tube provides an easy way to cover a light with rubber, thus protecting the finish and make them silent.

You could always:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use titanium primary's in my EX10 and if i leave the head tightened for more than 2 days(in standby mode) the battery is flat and the light wont power on?:(

I haven't dropped it or abused it.So i would say yes the EX10 has a big current draw in standby based on my experience.

I have been using the EX10 as my EDC and leave the head tightened all the time.I'm not experiencing much battery drain using name brand CR123 batteries.The current draw is supposed to be very low it should not drain your light in two days.I would suggest trying a different brand of battery and see if the problem persists.I have found that Titanium CR123s behaive strangly.
I don't have the NDI or D10 but I do have the EX10 and the Extreme.If you use more than level often the NDI is probably a better bet.I like the EX10 for EDC but I usually just use high or the lowest low so I don't worry about the user defined mode.

Latest posts