Any Surefire Z-series addicts out there?

AR_Shorty

Enlightened
Here's my 6Z...:devil:

Still untouched by human hands, except maybe for the assemblers at SF back in the day. :eek:oo:

6Z2.jpg

And also my 12ZM...not new in the sealed box, but in mint condition nonetheless! :)

12ZM4.jpg

CheepSteal

Enlightened
:poke: Open it!
No more shelf queens!

A question for you aficionados: Why is the original 6Z's grip so far forward? Can you place the combat grip all the way back?

LE6920

Newly Enlightened
:poke: Open it!
No more shelf queens!

A question for you aficionados: Why is the original 6Z's grip so far forward? Can you place the combat grip all the way back?

I like the grip forward version, but I could see how someone with really small hands might not like. The grip is not adjustable. (that I can see)

CheepSteal

Enlightened
I'm sure the grip rings can be removed, I was just curious as to whether that thickened portion near the tailcap can be removed, looks kinda uncomfortable since it's so forward. My hand works perfectly with the three grip rings in the Z2, I can't imagine being able to activate the light properly with the grips so far forward.
Any idea why Surefire changed the design? (probably to make it more ergonomic, but then why didn't they do that initially?)

SoCalDep, very cool user Z2, I hope mine will look like that in a few years. I'm still babying mine, dreading the first (but not last) scratch. Are those wear marks from the V70 holster?

erehwyrevekool

Enlightened
Here's my 6Z...:devil:

Still untouched by human hands, except maybe for the assemblers at SF back in the day. :eek:oo:

6Z2.jpg

If it is in the sealed box, what about the batteries expiry? Dead batteries (Duracell I suppose) may have done some
damage or built-in vent of CR123's who relieves any buildup of gasses prevents any kind of leakage of electrolyte?

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
6Z batteries didn't come preinstalled:

2gt27tz.jpg

They are probably also not dated, but would still be valuable for long term storage studies.

Size15's

Flashaholic
If it is in the sealed box, what about the batteries expiry? Dead batteries (Duracell I suppose) may have done some
damage or built-in vent of CR123's who relieves any buildup of gasses prevents any kind of leakage of electrolyte?
CR123A battery chemistry doesn't have anything 'liquid' or fluid - there is nothing to leak.
I've not heard of old CR123As doing anything other than simply being dead.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
MY Z3 CAME TODAY. (couldnt help the caps!)

Whaddya think?

web.jpg

Very nice Captain! I just recently traded a KT1-HA for a black one, and I was using it on my 9Z(R)...Now it's a 9Z(R)(T)??? Just swapped the N1 out for a Nailbender tower...getting about 150'ish lumens I would guess? Sweet set-up!

HPIM1939.jpg

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
CR123A battery chemistry doesn't have anything 'liquid' or fluid - there is nothing to leak.
I've not heard of old CR123As doing anything other than simply being dead.

Well, I got my C2-Emerson with original batteries...expiration date was 01-2011. Put a multimeter to it, and they both read 3.22 volts. I guess SF even underrates there batteries. I think the 15 year shelf life Energizer gives there lithiums is a more accurate one, as far as usable power. I could probably still power a Malkoff with them 5 years from now.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Z3+KT2 = Z3KT
9Z+KT2 = 9ZKT
9Z+T2 = 9ZT
9Z+SRTH = 9ZSRT

Adding an A20 to convert a three-SF123A body into a rechargeable B65 body doesn't 'fully' convert the 9Z into a 7Z except in principle.
Of course the B65-powered TurboHead ideally requires the N4. The T4 being discontinued when SureFire transitioned to the KT-type TurboHeads.

So a 9Z+A20+KT could be either 9Z(R)KT or 7ZKT.

I personally find the 9ZSRT to be the best looking of the three-SF123A TurboHead models.
The 12ZM with TRTH is also a great looking flashlight.

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
Very nice Captain! I just recently traded a KT1-HA for a black one, and I was using it on my 9Z(R)...Now it's a 9Z(R)(T)??? Just swapped the N1 out for a Nailbender tower...getting about 150'ish lumens I would guess? Sweet set-up!

Thanks AOW, you as well! In fact I almost bought the 9Z you had for sale but I ran across the Z3 for a killer deal and I do really like the flat sides on the Z3 a LOT. I was looking at tower mdules but Im really digging these incand setups. Ive decided to keep my all three of my Zs incands.

Z3KT = IMRM3T
Z2M2 = P91
Z2 = P90

Ive still got much love for all my LEDs, triples,etc.... They are just in my C's now.

I think the Z3+KT looks sexier than the M3T IMHO.

Thanks ebow86, I too think this combo is sexier than the M3!

Oh, and I'd kill for a lightly crenelated black bezel ring so my KT would match my other two Z's.

Last edited:

CheepSteal

Enlightened
Put my Z2 into some good use today crawling through the dark, dirt crawl space underneath a house to install television cables. Nice and messy!
The M61W dropin is perfect for rendering the colour of dirt/bricks/pipes/cables/cobwebs. I dropped the Z2 a few times onto rocks and broken bricks/concrete and I thought I scratched it but upon washing it, no anodization was missing, very surprised. Love it! :thumbsup:
dfc1afb9.jpg

JanCPF

Enlightened
Here is my 6Z in near mint condition. I'm contemplating selling it but haven't decided yet. What would the going rate be for such a light you think?

6z.jpg

6z_tail.jpg

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to admit I can´t stand the glossy type II anodizing. That´s what kept me from the Z lights. I owned one Z2 a few years ago but sold it not long after I got it. I always wanted a HA natural Z2, too bad they never made it.

A few weeks ago I received a Z2-S with a nice matte type III anodizing. I really like that and now a AZ2 is on it´s way to me.

surefire%20z2s.jpg

H. neanderthalensis

Newly Enlightened
My first and only Z2. It was my second Surefire. The grip is leaps and bounds above the 6P I own. I put in a P60L lamp and added a Defender strike bezel. It sits on my desk where I used to keep my 6P. A great light.

IMG_6953.jpg