Any thing better than SAINT MINIMUS

wfturnerm4

Newly Enlightened
I am getting a creak in my neck from holding my Olight M21 between my neck and shoulder.
I am ready to get the Surefire SAINT MINIMUS and wanted to know if any other headlamp is more comfortable and easier on the head
I could be wearing it for a least a couple of hours each time
I love the 100 lumens and really wouldn't want less

Thanks

Last edited:

billbunton

Newly Enlightened
It depends a lot on what you want it for. For close-up use I haven't found anything I like better. For running I prefer my ZL H31. It's not nearly as floody but provides just about the coverage I really want. As far as comfort on the head, it's kind of a toss-up. They feel different to me, but I don't feel any particular difference in comfort.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The saint minimus is the most comfortable quality headlamp I've worn...and the floody beam is real smooth (smoother than I thought it would be). The front pad is very comfortable, and the additional helmet attachment pad comes in handy for keep in it place on a caving helmet.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reviewing the "Flood Beam Headlamp List 2011" thread, I'd say that some of your top choices for modest money would be SF, Zebralight, Petzl Myo, and PT Apex. SF does not have the quality beam (artifacts, color, a little narrow for a flood) but many people find it acceptable enough. Zebralights are constrained by a single AA so runtime on high lumens is less than a light that has a big battery pack. Myo and Apex are yesterday's designs. Check that thread for other options to consider.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
A floody head lamp with an ideal beam spread can be made from just about any host.
I made a XML head lamp recently to help me doing beam shots & manipulating camera at dark.

Starting with an ebay generic head lamp. It has a single 7135 driver (350ma) in it with 3 modes.
Swapped Led to XML, added a little copper for heat sinking, then mounted an Aspheric lens really close
to get to the smooth flood effect. In the end, it's floody, bright (XML does 160 lumens @ 350mA),
smooth beam & efficient. One can adjust Aspheric lens to led distance to achieve an ideal flood angle
before glue it done for good, as each person probably have a different definition on what's perfect light spread angle.

mbw_151

Enlightened
The only thing better than the Saint Minimus will be the high CRI Saint Vision when it is released! (see Surefire 2011 catalog) Lumens haven't been an issue for me for a while now, I've moved on to being picky about the color rendering. I need something to go with my High CRI Clicky.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
A floody, great quality beam headlamp can be had even easier than you think. First, choose the HL that meets your needs in regards to batteries, brightness and overall quality, UI, etc. Then, if it's not already a flooder, use DC Fix diffusion film on the lens. Makes a "directed flood", vs total flood of the Zebras. I have reconsidered and begun using several lamps that had been too throwy for my use because of this fix. Overall light loss has been tested in a sphere, and is only a few %. If you can reach the lens, putting it on the inside maintains all of the HL's water resistant properties.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
I bought a minimus, and took it back a few days later, because my trusty old Princeton Tec EOS Rebel had a much better beam and tint, I ended up giving the EOS to a friend, and replaced it with a ZebraLight H31, and have been really happy with it, which is saying alot considering I was a major Zebralight hater since my first two (H30,H50) both died for no reason within the first month of owning them.

Agile54

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I gott agree. the Spark ST5 is a very nice light! Very small with a ton light!

Long time SF user here, anyone have any experience, beamshots or other intel re. the ST5,

my search-Fu is weak.

ryguy24000 surely you can provide us w/something after agreeing with yourself so ..........

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
ryguy24000 surely you can provide us w/something after agreeing with yourself so ..........

That's funny...I just now noticed the self-quote! I guess one way to make a "good buzz" is to do it all yourself...!

I have no interest in Spark until they make a floody version. Just don't need a thrower on my head, although if I rode a bicycle at night...then a Spark would be very handy.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...adlamp-from-Spark-Tech-The-first-XML-headlamp

Scroll down for bim-shots.

Also http://www.spark001.com/

Last edited:

brandocommando

Enlightened
I have one of the Spark st6-500's scheduled for delivery tomorrow according to the tracking information. It should be pretty floody with that XM-L... I will let you know!

bedazzLED

Enlightened
Yes there is; the SureFire Saint.
You get the battery pack, extra-long runtime, and if you want to, take the battery pack off and presto, you have a SureFire Saint Minimus. can't beat that.

ryguy24000

Enlightened
OOPs. sorry for agreeing with myself. Anyway I got a Spark ST5 ow about 3 weeks ago and I like it so far. Been using it everyday at work. It's Floody!! Small and seems to have good run times.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spark...floody? News to me. All the beamshots I've seen of Sparks show powerful central hotspots, with spill.

When people speak of "floody" they refer to beams that are more-or-less even across their diameter, without a hotspot.

The Saint qualifies as floody.

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a believer!!! The Spark can be modified to full-flood by pulling the reflector. Brandocommando did it, and posted beamshots. I borrowed the beamshot and posted it in the Flood Beam Headlamp List 2011, link in my sig line.

Now you're going to have to choose between the Saint (100 lumen 3x123 for $140) and the Spark (500 lumen 2x123 for $99).

carrot

Flashaholic
I love the Saint. I plan to buy another when the new Minimus variants come out (I'm eyeing the warm model and the AA model).