Anyone Do High-End Audio Repair?

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
a "Classic" failure in a LOT of old radios - Electrolitic/Paper capacitors - they dry out/fail, and need to be replaced

Bullet Bob

Enlightened
I have a nephew that rebuilds high end audio equioment like this and is very very good at it. caps are gennerally the one thing that fails in these older units. If interested he could fix it or do a complete rebuild. He has done several high end amps and preamps for another fellow CPFer here as well as having done one statis amp for me. He is currently doing two Sansui 919s for a home theater system for me. It would be done correctly. PM me for more info

turbodog

Flashaholic
Sounds like a capacitor problem to me also. Google search 'capacitor plague'.

Basically, a chinese company made a crapload of crappy capacitors a few years ago. These things made their way into all sorts of electronic equipment.

If you get a computer with them.... it gets harder and harder to turn on. Sounds just like your receiver.

Check for bulging capacitors. The ends will bulge up a little. The google search will provide pictures.

neal71

Newly Enlightened
No bulges in any of the capacitors. The unit is getting power for sure since the ac plug on the back of it will power anything I plug into it. I think it is a switch failure, but I am not certain, I am going to try and short the switch wires to see if that turns it on. I just got done with moving, and two weeks of finals, so I have not had a lot of time to work on it.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
No bulges in any of the capacitors. The unit is getting power for sure since the ac plug on the back of it will power anything I plug into it. I think it is a switch failure, but I am not certain, I am going to try and short the switch wires to see if that turns it on. I just got done with moving, and two weeks of finals, so I have not had a lot of time to work on it.
iirc the main power switch on that one breaks the main ac input.both sides of the ac line go through the switch.
it has a pushrod that leads to the back where the switch is mounted.yes you can bypass it.if you have power beyont the switch and still no go its likely the standby supply.often the thermal fuse in the standby transformer.

Dawg

Enlightened
Bulging Caps are not always so obvious to the untrained eye......

P1000795.jpg

Latest posts