Anyone else a little disappointed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtsoll

Enlightened
You're right TSG, I just needed a little reassurance!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I'm done bawlin now!! Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like what Peter did. He seems to be a great guy. But I think it would have helped if he had said that there were only four, that way we would have know the odds were stacked against us. But no big deal.

But what about the battery thing? Is Peter saying that SF123s are not fit for Arc lights?

Judgedog

Newly Enlightened
Disappointed that I did not get one of the 4x's, yes. Disappointed in the 4+ or the way the 4x's were sold, no. Try this analogy, you want to buy a new car. . .you research for months, find the exact car you want, get the price you want, and drive home in your fancy new ride. The next week you stop by the dealership only to see your exact same car, except it is the next model year and has 10 more horsepower than yours. Sure, you would probably be sorry that you didn't get the newer one, but didn't you get what you wanted all along???!!!! And you probably would not even notice the 10 extra horses. . .but YOU know that you don't have them. Maybe not the best analogy, but the point is, you wanted the 4+ and you got exactly what you wanted. Unless you run into one of the lucky 4 that will get a 4x, you will still have "the best". Just my $0.02

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
the arc4x is not a main product, it's a limited run, and as such, is (and should be) handled completely differently.

i see absolutely nothing whatsoever with the way peter did things. in fact, i don't think they could have been done any better.

maybe peter should just not offer special runs?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Roth,

When you pay top dollar for what is supposed to be the absolute BEST in its class, I don't think Bosley really cares if the Arc4x is a limited run or not.

LukeK

Enlightened
So what, Arc should have sat on these LED's instead of offering them to the public, just to make sure Bosley felt happy with his light? Heck just because Peter SOLD them to the public instead of keeping them for himself like I would have done is pretty impressive. You can't forsee coming across such gems when playing the luxeon lottery. Not everyone can have the best, and there will ALWAYS be something better out. If bosley would care to find out who bought the 4x and buy it from them for a spiked price (if they even want to sell which his doubtful) then he can have the best....until better luxeons start coming out. Truth is, nothing stays the best forever. An EXTREMEY Limited run (4!) should hardly create doubt in a buyer's mind seeing as Peter is going to be building THOUSANDS of Arc4+'s. Most of us never had the chance to get our hands on one anyways. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Just my opinion of course.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Disappointed yes b/c I want the brightest best light made is this Peters fault NOPE he did everything in a very fair manner. But that does not mean Bosley me or anyone else can't be disappointed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

notos&w

Enlightened
let's not punish Peter for offering rare and awesome products in addition to those that he slaves over making the best, most versatile EDC lights in the world.
Peter please try to understand the complainer's view and dont get discouraged by their dissention. I, and a whole lot of others, appreciate all that you've done to accomodate us (LSF, AA, 4x, AAA RGB, etc.) Keep it up!

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
My way of dealing with my obsession is to give them away (relatively speaking).

I could have made an even bigger deal about how rare these are. But that could have made people want them even more. No easy answers. And it is not like I think every step through for days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I hope to offer the first auction this coming week. I am considering making the auctions short (~3 days). This basically trades some of the effect of money for the effect of timing in an effort to balance things.

Peter

Bosley

Newly Enlightened
I am glad the Arc4x's will be sold on eBay. This will let the market decide who gets them and will insure that all the extra money goes directly to Arc Flashlight.

With that said, I think producing the Arc4x is not such a good business decision for the Arc4 line as a whole. I think it is more important to have a stable product line which features products that can be produced in commercially viable quantities. Making the 'latest and greatest' in small lots is a job for modders who make custom lights. I don't think it is a good idea for Arc to produce 'upgraded' Arc4's until those upgraded models can be made in some sort of reasonable amount. Arc is not some mod-shop, and IMHO producing the Arc4x in such limited numbers damages the Arc4 line as a whole, as it diminished the perceived value and quality of the other Arc4's which are available in commercially viable quantities. Of course, this is just my opinion, and I am sure I will now be savaged.

Byron Walter

Enlightened
As a 4+ owner I'm not at all taken back by the 4x Arc. In no way does it affect either the operation or my opinion of my 4+. This Luxeon technology is evolving rapidly and the mutant 4x is an example of just that. In the future these "special" emitters will no doubt be the rule rather than the exception.

More important to me is that there are virtually no complaints of either hardware or software issues with the Arc4 series. That's pretty good considering that just 30 days ago folks were still beta-bashing preproduction Arc4's.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Bosley said:
Of course, this is just my opinion, and I am sure I will
now be savaged.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not by me.
From what has been discussed Arc has contributed nothing to the superiority of the Arc4x.
They simply got 'lucky' in the Luxeon lottery.
Profiting from this does seem more appropriate for the industrious modder than for the professional business.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif
Just my $0.02.

Radagast

Enlightened
Bos, I hear ya. Last night I'm using my 4 and began to imagine it 40% brighter. But....I hardly go to level 1 anyway. For most things level 4 is bright enough. I was happy with my lsl-p for 8 months no matter what the consensus of the superiority of the high dome was. You can't blame Peter. He got them and unloaded them quickly to the people who have followed him the longest and closest. With only 4 how would YOU have done it and made EVERYONE happy? Personally, I'd rather he would continue releasing them as he did rather than ebay because it will make the x's elitist status symbols/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif. The duracell batteries are expensive anyway and it sounds like they're going to be sucked dry quick too. I am making ZERO sense.

Maybe Peter could make it up to us by making a special CPF edition run with 3 watt luxeon and unregulated level 1.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Newer LEDs will always make the previous ones somewhat "obsolete" if brighter is always better in your opinion. When the Arc5 comes out, someone will undoubtedly feel like the 4x will then be obsolete (and so soon). That's not anyones fault, that's just the way advancing technology and the occasional "freak bright" LEDs are.

Sometimes I get disappointed about stuff like this too so I know how you feel but then I remember to get a life and move on.

Fastlane

Newly Enlightened
The only avoidable disappointment in this scenario would have been to explain the rules of sale in the initial post rather than on page 4. Also, I think most people expected a "batch" to be more than the initial four units.

The type of disappointment plaguing Bosley seems to stem from the mere fact the 4x exists. There may be some merit to his gripe with the timing hot on the heels of the release of the 4+ and the backlog of orders. However, the 4x was spawned from the unexpected discovery of the rare emitter and released so quickly because of the excitement this discovery caused.

Was it a bad business decision or just contrary to the status quo, business as usual practices? Many businesses would have sat on new developments until the sales slowed on their current models, while others are copycats of the innovations. Trendsetters continue to move.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's something to ponder about the 40% brightness and how big of a deal it really is. Put the Arc4+ on setting 2 (next to highest) Now push on the button to "boost" it to setting 1. That's about the same relative increase in brightness you would get with the 4x. About half an f-stop. Is that really a big deal? I don't think it's worth getting all upset about not being able to get that extra one half f-stop brightness. I could't tell the absolute difference between level 1 and 2 unless I had the ability to switch on the fly which I do with the Arc4. Otherwise, most people would not be able to discern unless they *knew*.

The utility of the Arc4 is the ability to dial down and the lower settings for me give me the most use. If I need more light, I pick up an L4 or L5 or an incandescent. But for 99.9% of my use, the Arc4+ serves me quite well and I'm extremely happy just to be able to afford and own one. Life's too short--there's more important things to get upset about.

Cheers,

CM

Wisti

Newly Enlightened
IMO Peter shouldn´t have told people that something like
the Arc 4x is already possible .
I´m sure that I´m not the only one who wants to be sure
to have the best flashlight that is possible unless he
really needs it or not .
Now I know there is a better flashlight than the Arc4+ ,
I will not buy it but wait for Arc5 or 5+ or 5x until I
will be sure to get the very best that is available .

Frank

jpeg

Enlightened
You're chasing a dream Frank. The "best" is not a static thing...
As soon as you acchieve it, someone else will make a better one...
So you are paying a premium for a few moments of glory. Ask anyone on this board... You're either going to go broke very quickly with that philosophy, or you're going to keep waiting for the "best" and never buy anything because there's a better one just down the road...

kaseri

Enlightened
I would like to thank Peter for making the Arc4x available to CPF users. He could have easily kept them for himself and close friends. Lord knows that I would have kept them for myself and MAYBE given one or two away at most. But thats a BIG maybe.

Maybe Peter would be willing to sell the rest of the Arc4x's via a CPF auction with the proceeds being donated to CPF or a charity in the name of the winning bidder. That might be a nice way to handle it. Then Peter gets paid his asking price and somebody else gets to benefit from the winning bidders generosity.

No matter what Peter decides I'm glad that he made these available to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.