Anyone else a little disappointed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiaroscuro

Enlightened
"Best" is a highly subjective term.The "best" ARC4 for me is one that is a reasonable compromise between high ouput and a decent run time.
By that reasoning ,the 4X is not the "best" for me.

bigred

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
wisti said:
jpeg
I know that the "BEST" is not static !
But Iwant to get the best possible in the moment I
order it .

[/ QUOTE ]

You're going to have a tough time getting through life with that philosophy. Ok, so there's an Arc4x which is brighter than the Arc4+. For people who ordered the Arc4+ the same day as the announcement of the Arc4x, the + was in fact the best light at the moment. It just happens that a few moments later, something brighter came along.

What if you decide to get an Arc4x instead of an Arc4 +, bid on eBay and actually win. You'll be happy that you have the best light at that moment. A few minutes later, Peter Gransee announces an "ultra" rare Arc4x2 which produces 60 lumens of light. Will you then be upset because you no longer have the best light at the moment, even though a few minutes earlier you were overjoyed at what you just bought? Boy, you may have to wait a while before you make another purchase.

alanz

Newly Enlightened
Could be worse... imagine trying to buy "the best" personal computer. These things are obsolete even before they hit the shelves. If you wait for the next best thing... because you know what's coming down the road, you'll never buy anything (and never get to use anything).

When you bought your light, it was exactly what Arc said it was. It was YOU who thought it was the best out there... for that moment. You ordered something you understood... got exactly what you ordered. No problem.

Oh, and let's not forget (putting on my body armor)...
IT'S ONLY A FLASHLIGHT.

chiaroscuro

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
wisti said:
Oh yes,living isn´t easy with my philosophy .
I´m not only thinking rationally,but which
flashoholic does ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I do.
But then, I'm a sentient computer program /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cosco

Newly Enlightened
Its funny how philophicaly this thread evolved. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am stil waiting for my ARC4 second held by custom with some misunderstanding. FedEx $12 shipment went to nothing except of advantage of tracking number since it has been here for three days and I have to wait til monday only to se what will happen then.

Reality is not PERFECT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

cosco

Mister T

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
wisti said:
IMO Peter shouldn´t have told people that something like
the Arc 4x is already possible .
I´m sure that I´m not the only one who wants to be sure
to have the best flashlight that is possible unless he
really needs it or not .
Now I know there is a better flashlight than the Arc4+ ,
I will not buy it but wait for Arc5 or 5+ or 5x until I
will be sure to get the very best that is available .

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you know that there is a light in existence that uses S binned Luxeons? And the Arc4+ "only" uses Q binned? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
But please tell me how Arc could buy hundreds or thousands of that, when it isn't even possible, at the moment, to buy R binned 1W Luxeons.

Wisti

Newly Enlightened
Mister T
I know that there are better binned Luxeon,but I´d like one
in an Arclight .
Peter claims to produce EDC -flashlights ,what about
ECB (everybody can buy ) Lights ?

cosco

Newly Enlightened
ECB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif

I do not mean to hurt you but you sound like a little child. Oh mom, I want it, I WANT it!

Sorry to had to say that.

cosco

javafool

Enlightened
I think all who are disappointed not to get the ARC4x might want to consider what I am doing. I am waiting for the ARC5. My other ARC flashlights are such well designed, high quality tools that I decided to wait for a 5 watter Even a small 3 watt would be brighter I would think.

Terry

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just remember too that Nichia (according to previous threads in CPF) will be releasing a 1W LED putting out 60 lumens in 2005! How's that for making current lights obsolete!

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bosley,

Guess all those folks who bought PT Cruisers should get upset when they offered the Turbo PT Cruiser after they bought theirs. Or the people who bought Ford Explorers before they came out with the Eddie Bauer Limited Editions.

Maybe I should get upset with Tom Clancy for re-releasing a couple of his books with extra pages after I got the first runs. Or certain movies that come out with alternate endings or extra scenes after I already got their first runs.

It happens with cars, it happens with books, movies, computers, coffee makers ......darn near everything.

Man, you gotta get over this thing before it does you in. There will always be some widget that's just a little bit better than the one you got ...... no matter what it is. I can guarantee you that an updated or "better" one will come out right after you got your widget. That's life, get over it.

I love my Arc LSH-P and LSL-P (both seconds). Man, I don't care if there are slightly "better" ones, or limited runs with slightly "better" this and that parts in them. Mine put out a decent amount of light and I really like them and am glad Peter offered seconds so that some of less financially endowed could get in on these little gems.

Tell you what, send me your Arc4 for free since you are now so soured on the whole thing. Maybe you'll feel better knowing that the person you sent it to considers it icing on the cake, not bitter because it's "better" than what he already has.

mike

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
wisti, i don't think you have a good idea what you're talking about.

premium bins like those in the arc4x almost impossible to get.
currently, the arc4+ uses the best leds out of any flashlight company.

since the super-bins (r's and above) are only available in such small quantity as to not even satisfy the small-time modders, it's just plain unrealistic to hope for them to be available in quantities to satisfy commercial demand.

if you want a super-binned light, then go to a modder and have one built. it's not realistic to demand that a manufacturer produces the super-binned lights when he can't even get the bins.

Geode

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Bosley said:
Before I get flamed, let me start by saying that I love my Arc4+ and think it is a fantastic state-of-the-art flashlight. But here is my problem-- I bought the Arc4+ with the understanding that this was the best 1W light Arc Flashlight could make in terms of output and tint. In light of Peter's post about the Arc4x, I now I find out that it is not even close to the best Arc can do. I paid a premium to get what I thought was the best, but I feel like my brand new Arc4+ is already dated. I wish I had known about the Arc4x before I plunked down my 180 bucks.

I still want the best light I can get from Arc, but now I don't know what to do. I could return my Arc4+ and hope to get an Arc4x on eBay in what is sure to be a feeding frenzy. Or I can keep what I have knowing Arc is already making a much better light. I guess I will keep my Arc4+, try to get an Arc4x, and sell the Arc4+ if I get a 4x for a reasonable price.

I was just curious how the other Arc4+ owners felt about this. I for one am disappointed that my Arc4 "premium" is already second rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bosley - To answer your original question, no, I am not disappointed at all. Comparisons can sometimes be a tough thing, especially with technological objects. Just ask yourself if you would return the Arc4+ now. If the answer is "no", you have a great flashlight. If the answer is "yes", then you will have $180 towards the next generation of flashlights.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

k4jdn

Newly Enlightened
Selling the 4x ......... definately a bad business decision. I would sell the "exceptional" Luxeons on the B/S/T forum for modders, to avoid discrediting my product line.

In all fairness, I'm sure Peter thought he was doing fans a favor.

machulu

Newly Enlightened
I not disappointed with not being able to get an ARC 4X. Would I have bought an ARC 4X instead of the 4+? Sure I would. It does not mean I think less of the ARC 4 by any means. I want the best "widely" available flashlight there is and right now that's the ARC 4 and that's what I bought. I'm sure there will always be some prototype somewhere that we might consider better than what is readily available. Those prototypes probably will never be widely available to us because of production cost or whatever reasons. It's just the way it is sometimes.

Let's all just enjoy the ARC 4+

~Stephen

machulu

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
k4jdn said:
Selling the 4x ......... definately a bad business decision. I would sell the "exceptional" Luxeons on the B/S/T forum for modders, to avoid discrediting my product line.

In all fairness, I'm sure Peter thought he was doing fans a favor.

[/ QUOTE ]

k4jdn,

Peter is a flashaholic just like the rest of us. I'm sure he thought things out before he told us about the ARC 4x. In this case, he thought giving us a chance of owning something extrordinary is more important than discrediting his products.

I appreciate what he did. If anything, I have more respect for Peter and his business than I ever had.

~Stephen

bmsmith

Enlightened
Bosley,

The Arc 4x is sort of like the nitrogen-cooled overclocked computers some companies sell for lots of extra bucks. It's the same CPU as your computer, just one that can handle being overclocked a little better than normal. (OK, maybe not a perfect analogy, but close)

Are you disappointed in your computer, too? There are faster ones out there, even if yours is only 1 month old. The 40 Gig drive of today is the 80 Gig drive of tomorrow. It's how technology and technology-based products work. The speed at which it moves sometimes catches you at the "wrong" moment, making you feel like you made a bad choice.

"If I had only waited a little bit longer I could have gotten a better one...." <---- How often does everyone say that?Sure, you could wait... or you could buy what is available now and be happy that you own something now, rather than just wishing and not having. Enjoy what you have - it's only going to get brighter (pun intended) as time moves forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.