Anyone else a little disappointed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moat

Enlightened
Hmmm.... I wonder which one of the four Arc4x's is the "best"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif ..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bob

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am still looking forward to the 4+ as my ultimate EDC, just as it was designed to be, and just as most of us have anticipated for the past few months. Yes, owning a 4x will quench some flashoholic lust and entitle you to certain bragging rights, but would that make the 4+ anything less than it is? No way.

At the moment, the 4xs are so rare that they are more of a collector's item. Maybe this fact has been overlooked because the first four were offered for such a generous price?? Now lets see how much they fetch on auction /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In the meantime I'm still waiting for my 4+. Just landed half an hour ago after a long flight across the Pacific, and is in the back of a rumbling truck headed my way. So much for hands on opinions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I can't figure out what click sequence stops the built in .mp3 player from cycling through all the songs!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluegreen

Newly Enlightened
I'm glad PG sold the 4x the way he did. He could have kept them to himself or sent them out as 4+ without a word. I tried for one but am happy that I didn't in fact get one. The Arc4+ has better battery support and a warranty. Besides, I'd be too scared of losing such a rare beast! The Arc4+ will replace my LS 0.9 I currently use backpacking (AAA LE for backup).

As for 'not the brightest' - there are heaps of brighter lights eg SF. If you wait just because there will be something better out soon then you'll be waiting forever. Just sounds like sour grapes to me. I thank Peter and the hard working guys at Arc for the wonderful lights the produce. The 4x lottery (and buildup) was fun. At least I can say I was there.

Lumens

Newly Enlightened
I don't dispute the right of CPF members posting their opinions and feelings in this forum - I just hope the comments don't deter Peter from bringing out a special product in the future. The release of this unique item from a manufacturer is a very neat, cutting-edge idea. The whole idea of a manufacturer using a forum to communicate with its most loyal customers is a wonderful concept. It all adds up to building a fantastic product with outstanding service and a fiercely loyal customer base. I'm sure we would all jump to help Peter like was family!

Peter seems both passionate about his product and sensitive (seems to come with passion) and I hope our comments (and a few tirades) don't discourage him from doing this in the future. Please Peter - don't stop what you are doing!!

I can offer a suggestion (touched on previously). Offering these specials on eBay throws these items out to the general public when they should be offered to CPFers first. I think it is a good idea to offer these lights in this forum (where the loyal brethren hang out) - but I think Peter would get less noise if he posts a thread with a contest - either a number guess (let Merri select a number) or guess the number of bytes in the program code, guess a special serial number printed on the special light, etc. A different contest each time would be fun (and contribute to loyalty).

Life should always be fun!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Neal

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Lumens said:
I don't dispute the right of CPF members posting their opinions and feelings in this forum - I just hope the comments don't deter Peter from bringing out a special product in the future. The release of this unique item from a manufacturer is a very neat, cutting-edge idea. The whole idea of a manufacturer using a forum to communicate with its most loyal customers is a wonderful concept. It all adds up to building a fantastic product with outstanding service and a fiercely loyal customer base. I'm sure we would all jump to help Peter like was family!

Peter seems both passionate about his product and sensitive (seems to come with passion) and I hope our comments (and a few tirades) don't discourage him from doing this in the future. Please Peter - don't stop what you are doing!!

I can offer a suggestion (touched on previously). Offering these specials on eBay throws these items out to the general public when they should be offered to CPFers first. I think it is a good idea to offer these lights in this forum (where the loyal brethren hang out) - but I think Peter would get less noise if he posts a thread with a contest - either a number guess (let Merri select a number) or guess the number of bytes in the program code, guess a special serial number printed on the special light, etc. A different contest each time would be fun (and contribute to loyalty).

Life should always be fun!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Neal

[/ QUOTE ]

It's too late. Peter has already stated that he'd never do this again this way. The last he left it, he'll leave it up to EBAY for the special product to get what the market will bare. So that means the same winers that bitched about the method these where sold will start complaining because they're on EBAY, with bids into the hundreds and hundreds of dollars. They'll ***** because the normal Joe can not afford or want to pay that price for them. Or Peter could decide to not say anything, distributed them to family and friends and not have to worry either way.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
I can offer a suggestion (touched on previously). Offering these specials on eBay throws these items out to the general public when they should be offered to CPFers first.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, there is no way some "civilian" on eBay is going to pay more than a CPF'er for one of these Arc4xs, so I don't think that's even an issue. If the 4xs go up on eBay they will still end up being owned by CPF'ers.

Secondly, I don't think Peter would be terribly interested in spending a bunch of his valuable time thinking up fun contests as a means of selling these rare beasts. Seems like he has plenty to do already.

I would agree that it isn't completely fair to go the eBay route either though. Unless you've got big bucks, you're never going to get your hands on a 4x. But remember when your mom told you that life isn't fair?, well there you go.

By charging only a $15 premium over the 4+ it's obvious that Peter wants to share the good fortune, not get every dime he can out of them. I think he just got a little put off (and rightfully so) by the juvenile behavior of some members who felt that they were "entitled" to purchase one of the rare 4xs. I was also disappointed not to get one, but oh well, life goes on... Anyone who is complaining about not scoring a 4x is a crybaby who needs to get a clue and grow up a little bit IMHO.

I think a good compromise for future 4x releases would be to put half on eBay to be sold for what the market will bear. If you have the means, then you would have no reason not to own one of these rarities. This will also benefit Peter and Arc as I'm sure these will fetch quite a premium.

Make the other 50% available to all through a simple lottery system like drawing a number, etc. This way the rest of us still have a chance as well. Let someone besides Peter/Arc organize the logistics of compiling the names/numbers for the drawing. Peter should not have to take on extra work to make these available to us, he's trying to run a business after all. I'm sure a volunteer could be found to do the "leg work". Peter's involvement would be just to draw the winning ticket/number.

Of course there will always be someone who still isn't happy, there always is. Some people are just born to ***** I guess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif It seems like this would be a fair and equitable way to handle the sales of future 4xs though.

Peter

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ever driven a 100 HP car...then driven the same car with 140 HP...oh, man...big differance. One must assume (without a claim otherwise) the X on level 9 is the same brightness as the + on high. And that the X uses the same power on level 9 as the + on high.

A couple thoughts...these may be available to all as a "medical grade" or something like that. Hell, Gransee never even said these were LS`s...might be some new Nachias...or some other manufacter.

Also he said he did not want to say where he got them...makes me think they were not simply the best of a group order. Also made me think that other manufacture could order them if they knew where...or from what company. Either way...won`t be long before the cats out of the bag.

Looking brighter every day...er...night.

If it makes anyone feel better...I don`t even have a +...I`m to poor.

Ken

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i hope the few who recived them will tell us what led it uses im just currius.

Bosley

Newly Enlightened
Nice to see that whenever anyone has the temerity to question anything Arc does the Arc-pologists come out of the woodwork to call them a cry baby, whiner or lacking a life. This is supposed to be a forum for people to express different views-- you shouldn't resort to name calling just because you disagree with someone.

I also think many of you may have misunderstood my point so I would like to emphasize-- I am not disappointed in my Arc4+ at all, as it is everything I expected and hands down the best EDC on the market today. My 'little disappointment' lies elsewhere, but there is no need to open that can of worms again.

Now I need to go sell some flashlights (and maybe a kidney) to get ready for the Arc4x auction madness. It will be fun.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Bosley said:
Nice to see that whenever anyone has the temerity to question anything Arc does the Arc-pologists come out of the woodwork to call them a cry baby, whiner or lacking a life. This is supposed to be a forum for people to express different views-- you shouldn't resort to name calling just because you disagree with someone.

I also think many of you may have misunderstood my point so I would like to emphasize-- I am not disappointed in my Arc4+ at all, as it is everything I expected and hands down the best EDC on the market today. My 'little disappointment' lies elsewhere, but there is no need to open that can of worms again.

Now I need to go sell some flashlights (and maybe a kidney) to get ready for the Arc4x auction madness. It will be fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll assume this is directed at me, since I used the word whiner (although I did spell it incorrectly). I have no issue with anyone being pissed-off and making his/her view known here, however when the same person(s) cry over the same damn thing multiple times in a 24-hour period, that's a different story in my opinion. By the way, I only defend ARC and Peter up to the point where they/he deserve it. I'm not to ARC like some are to SureFire.

gatesy3

Newly Enlightened
I think Peter did not realise that by saying there were only four beers left at last orders in a packed bar, he would create such chaos---sorry thought an analogy would help people........what do you reckon Peter?

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter was VERY generous in doing what he did. I for one will refrain from making any statements that may discourage him from selling more 4x versions on his site.

Mattman

Enlightened
I'm a little bit embarassed to see fellow CPFers complaining about the 4x and the way Peter handled this sale. We all knew it was a limited item and that almost none of us would be able to get one. Now that they're going to be on ebay I know I don't have a chance in hell of being able to afford one. This could have been a fun event, but it ended up backfiring instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.