Anyone else feel guilty about using a "cheap" light?

Thomasaurus

Newly Enlightened
+1
I thought $20 was a lot for a flashlight when I bought my current EDC.
There are tons of cool lights to drool over on this forum, but I still don't see my self spending the kind of money that some on here do.

I couldnt afford to whether I wanted to or not!

I feel a bit bad grabbing my lenser p3 when I take my dog out when ive got an LD01 that I got a couple of weeks ago.

MWClint

Enlightened
those 5$ garrity plastic rubberized lights definitly have their place. i stick one in a niteize headband and use it when working on the car.
i'll use 2 AAA and a dummy AAA in the holder. replace the stock 8x 5mm light engine with a seoul high cri star board and an ims 20MM reflector.
put it back together and you've got yourself a long running 15-20 lumen headlamp. no fear of banging it up against things when maneuvering
under the car.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guess it depends on what your definition of a cheap light is...

There are huge advantages to using a cheap light. If it breaks, who cares? No big loss to your wallet. If you lose it there's no sentimental value, so it's not nearly as bad as losing that A2L.

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can honestly state that I have never felt guilty using an inexpensive flashlight. I can state, however, that I have felt guilty owning and using an expensive flashlight—that feeling has been responsible to some degree in my selling off my more expensive lights.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got plenty of cool lights, and some are really expensive if you pay retail for them. I found myself grabbing my old G2 the other day when heading out. This model does not even have a LOTC. I chose it over an A2L. Then I felt guilty about it. What is wrong with me?!

What is wrong with you?

Well, it looks like you've begun to absorb the herd mentality that is common on enthusiast forums. ;>

The groupthink that would have you believe that only certain brands, costing over some arbitrary price, and capable of emitting some large amount of lumens are "real" lights worthy of being carried and used.

I see examples of this groupthink frequently on CPF, but it's present on all of the enthusiast forums that I frequent.

I never feel guilty for carrying functional but inexpensive items.

I do feel guilty about carrying expensive lights, knives, multitools, etc. because of memories of past expensive items that were lost or stolen.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are a wise man/woman ringzero.

Yes I am addicted to certain brands and have way more lights than I need. I am off to Portland to attend a professional conference and I agonized over what hand held to take. My "ego" whispered take the smallest and brightest light you have. The practical part of me said take something useful. I will take something useful...

The Freeholder

Newly Enlightened
I have a number of serious cheap lights that I use if there is a chance that it will get lost or seriously damaged. I keep decent quality but still inexpensive ones in the vehicles in case of a breaking. Best stuff is generally in the house, and by the standards of some here, it isn't really all that great (Fenix, mostly). But I view it as varying tools according to varying needs and protecting my limited investment capital.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Feel guilty?

A story:

Just the other day I found a Eveready 3LED 2D out of a couple I have lying around. The batteries had been in it for almost a couple years, and when I opened up the light, I saw they had leaked. Know what I did? Took a napkin and wiped off the LED head and then filled the plastic body with water and dumped it out. Ran a paper towel in it to dry it up some, tossed in fresh cells and there was light once again.
Didn't have to thrash on the body with a dowel rod to remove swelled batteries or anything, and the light works just as well as it did before. And those cheap multi-led lights will take a good whack.

After knowing the knocks they'll take, the leaking battery incident, the fantastic runtime a 2D one will get and that these style of LED lights are now also being incorporated into industrial hazard lights, this one is going into the EDC/Get Home Bag.
http://www.energizer.com/products/flashlights/worklights/Pages/intrinsically-safe.aspx

Never know when an Alabama-type storm system may pop-up and I have gas lines at work to consider.
May not be the greatest beam or tint but you can navigate with one just fine and for a good, long runtime.

So the only thing I feel guilty about is not using them a bit more often.

Last edited:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Feel guilty?

A story:

Just the other day I found a Eveready 3LED 2D out of a couple I have lying around. The batteries had been in it for almost a couple years, and when I opened up the light, I saw they had leaked. Know what I did? Took a napkin and wiped off the LED head and then filled the plastic body with water and dumped it out. Ran a paper towel in it to dry it up some, tossed in fresh cells and there was light once again.
Didn't have to thrash on the body with a dowel rod to remove swelled batteries or anything, and the light works just as well as it did before. And those cheap multi-led lights will take a good whack.

After knowing the knocks they'll take, the leaking battery incident, the fantastic runtime a 2D one will get and that these style of LED lights are now also being incorporated into industrial hazard lights, this one is going into the EDC/Get Home Bag.
http://www.energizer.com/products/flashlights/worklights/Pages/intrinsically-safe.aspx

Never know when an Alabama-type storm system may pop-up and I have gas lines at work to consider.
May not be the greatest beam or tint but you can navigate with one just fine and for a good, long runtime.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why would I feel guilty about using a cheap light?

My most used lights are C2 with a drop-in, a 2C Mag with a UW0J and nFlex on 2x18650 (kinda old tech, but works for me), an Ultrafire something with 5 modes, a old Seoul-modded HDS and the Fenix LD01 on my key chain, but I have a few lights around the house that are cheap and get lots of use:

Solitaire with a sanded/frosted Nichia CS running direct on a 10440
Some import 8x5mm LED light I modded with all Snow LEDs that I run with a 14500
Lumapower LM308 (I think it what it's called) with diffusion film and modded with a SSC P4

And I have an old Cree Eastward 1x18650 light with a high/low tailcap that is great for loaning out.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your G2 probably has better color rendition than your A2L. It has a good, bright beam and is super-easy to use without a clip and lanyard ring getting in the way. Good choice!