Anyone else have a situationally dependent EDC setup?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
In a way, yes.

On my person I have the usual - house keyring / car-specific keyring (both with flashlights), watch, phone. If I'm walking the dogs at night I pocket a couple of D4s a couple FW3As, or one of each. Lately I'm not without a shooting iron on my person - with such consistency that whenever I make my increasingly inevitable trip to the office to break the cabin fever that I hope I remember not to wear it (disallowed by company and building policy).

In my daily-carry backpack (principally for work) I've got flashlights - (Inova H2R), BLF A6, Manker E11 - batteries, a small screwdriver set, pens, pad, work and personal laptop, mice, laptop power supplies, raingear, USB charging kit, power bank(s).

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was recently issued a Maglite XL50 for work. If an employer thinks you need a flashlight they should issue you one, so you don't have to worry about beating up your own gear. I worked in security for many years, and the lights we had were mostly crap, so I often used my own. But at least we always had the option of using their crap lights. the XL50 is a big step up from the types of lights we used to get. Weak lights like 2AA Minimags, Streamlights with melted reflectors, old LED lights with broken spherical lenses, lights that would never hold a charge or that people would forget to throw on the charger.

ch4ins4w

Newly Enlightened
I love this thread! I think of it as groups of edc for different settings. For the office, I carry the silver SAK Pioneer modded with scissors, one blade, and small opener/screw driver and pocket clip. My watch is a Certina ds ph200m diver, and flashlight is a pocket friendly Nitecore TIP 2. This same flashlight is part of my casual setup, too. The casual watch is a maratac and knife is a SAK Tinker with micarta scales and pocket clip. For going out on the town, I have the PVD Squale 1521, another SAK Pioneer, and Surefire edcl2-t. Those pieces make up the bulk of my edc. There are lots of specialty pieces for camping,night skiing, looking for runaway horses, or other challenges. Thanks for starting an excellent thread.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have my main carry, which consists of HDS rotary, North arms knives Skaha 2, victorinox pioneer x, watch, pen, wallet and phone. At night I might also carry an MD2 or headlamp depending on what I anticipate for the evening (BBQ gets a headlamp etc)

In the Hospital, I add a pair of X Shears, penlight and stethoscope.

For work on the ambulance, I would have a Malkoff MD2 and a Leatherman Wave instead of the HDS and Pioneer x. Stethoscope, Shears and Lumintop IYP365 rounds out my carry. I have more stuff in my bag like a headlamp, thrower and spare batteries.

For hiking and other activities, I switch out different knives and other gear.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have grab and go kits. They all have a flashlight, headlamp, water bottle, multitool, extra batteries, and knife. Backpack, messenger bag, and Maxpedition water bottle carrier. Whats in my pocket is dependent on my mood. Today my pocket carry is a Arc AAA and mini-Griptilian.

carrot

Flashaholic
Interesting thread. I would say kinda yes and kinda no. When I owned like, five flashlights? each had a niche and each had a specific place in my life.

For EDC I carry whatever pleases me at the time. There are flashlights stashed everywhere in my life so it isn't a big deal if the one in my pocket doesn't suit the task at hand. It has been inexpensive Convoys and hot rod Emisars and expensive McGizmos and outdated Surefires. For a little while I was carrying the pokey little Pak-Lite which, as it turns out, I really like!

When I travel I like to bring a couple lights. I've never needed more than the one or maybe two but since I can't carry my other hobby (due to confusing legality of knife carry in many places), I indulge myself by bringing extra toys, which are flashlights. The one rule for travel flashlights is that they either all have to use the same battery, or be able to charge themselves. I don't want to juggle a bunch of different cells and bring a multi-charger. I don't often carry spares either.

There are a few times when I am incredibly constrained in carry, like suit carry. I like the 47s Preon there.

When I went rock climbing, it was just a basic Petzl Tikka hung off my harness.

Or sitting in my pajamas at home. I have a flashlight for that, it's the Acebeam TK16 Cu, which is just right.

Or scuba diving carry? Light & Motion Gobe.

Tactical walk-around-the-block digestive walk carry? Malkoff Bodyguard.

Maybe the whole point of this thread was to point out that I have too many flashlights and not enough niches for them. Maybe I should sell some lights!

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Makes sense to have a different EDC setup for different situations. Sometimes more $bling$. Sometimes more expendable items where they're more likely to get lost / damaged / dropped etc.

But I DON'T see why one wouldn't share items among those EDC setups. I don't have 4 wallets or 5 smartphones for each occasion, why should I have different flashlights or knives for each occasion? If you have a favourite of anything, why not take it wherever you want? Just carry whatever set of items that seems appropriate for the occasion that's up next. Don't get me wrong: nothing against rotating EDC items from a wide selection. Or having dedicated gear for some jobs. Just that I wouldn't reserve gear for 1 specific use when it's also good for use elsewhere.

For me, it's:

• Keys (only 1 keyring does the job)
  • Wallet, usually including ID + ATM card (again: 1 wallet does the job)
  • Smartphone
Everything else is optional and depends on the activity I'm embarking on. But I try to keep most EDC items in one place, so that when I go out I can eg. open a drawer & pick the items I need. Not collect them from X different places, that takes more time & it's easier to forget things then.

Or sitting in my pajamas at home. I have a flashlight for that, (..)
Yes.. sitting in your pajamas at home REQUIRES a flashlight! :crackup: