Anyone tried this AAA LED Flashlight? ** Review **

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anyone tried this AAA LED Flashlight?

Well, that's interesting - I got 2 rocket lights and have a fairly large collection of Arc AAAs - older standards, new LEs, CPF edition etc.

Both of the rocket lights I got were definitely dimmer than my Arc LEs, and had much worse beams than the standard ARCs. It sounds like you've either got a bad example of an LE, or a very good rocket light (or a bit of both..)

The packaging for mine is obviously made for the Japanese market, so I imagine that it will probably vary depending on where you ordered from.

Maybe tonight I'll do some comparison beam shots if I can find the rocket lights...

Graham

Xenon

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Graham said:
Well, that's interesting - I got 2 rocket lights and have a fairly large collection of Arc AAAs - older standards, new LEs, CPF edition etc.

Both of the rocket lights I got were definitely dimmer than my Arc LEs, and had much worse beams than the standard ARCs. It sounds like you've either got a bad example of an LE, or a very good rocket light (or a bit of both..)

The packaging for mine is obviously made for the Japanese market, so I imagine that it will probably vary depending on where you ordered from.

Maybe tonight I'll do some comparison beam shots if I can find the rocket lights...

Graham

[/ QUOTE ]

My Rocketlight is almost as bright as my Arc LE. The Arc LE has a better beam, the RL beam has a bluish tint. LE is on your left.

rl11.JPG

DrAg0n

Banned

the rocket seems brighter to me.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

arab

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
dirobesh said:
I'll rewrite it and post it later on tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

This must be the most hyped review ever! Come on dirobesh, the world is waiting to see how the ARC performed against the Rocket ...

dirobesh

Enlightened

Sorry about the delay - I've just come back from an Easter break this evening. I'll rewrite and post the review some time tomorrow morning (GMT). At the moment I'm too knackered after having to fight my way through all the ferry traffic on my way back to Scotland.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif

Who is going to stock this company's product line? I want to buy a couple of their "fish lights". They look like a real quality piece.

arab

Enlightened

Traffic must be bad ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

arab

Enlightened

Can I ask an administrator or moderator to delete this thread? I've wasted much of CPF's very precious bandwidth checking for the non-existant on/off review above.

I don't get to spend much time here anymore and the time I do have I'd prefer not to waste with this nonsense. There are of course much more serious things happening in the world today, the thing is, I come here to relax - not to be wound up!

Empath

Flashaholic

Alan, the thread topic is a valid topic. It was started by another and not you. Asking that we delete it because you find something unfulfilling in it isn't a valid request. My suggestion is that you simply bypass it if it bothers you. Please refrain from calling other member's work nonsense.

arab

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
Please refrain from calling other member's work nonsense.

[/ QUOTE ]
Before you launched into your patronising tirade Empath, you should have read my mail - properly. Context is all important and the context here was that the lack of a review was what I was referring to as "nonsense".

Deep breaths ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

dirobesh

Enlightened

First of all, please accept my apologies for the lateness of this rewritten review. I won't bore you with inventing extenuating circumstances 'cos there aren't any. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The short, two-word version first:-

Buy one.

Here's the slightly more in-depth version.

fc5b8721.jpg

fc5b871e.jpg

fc5b8723.jpg

ARC LE on left - Rocket Torch on right. Both beams are slightly bluer than appear here.

The Rocket Torch has a very solid constructed feel to it and has a nice weight - it's noticeably heavier and 1.5cm longer than the ARC LE, some may feel it's maybe a bit too heavy/large for key ring use but personally I don't find it a problem.

Despite my worries about it scratching easily in the original review, it's still scratch free after a couple of weeks of being carried around on my key ring and thrown relatively carelessly on to my bed side table at night. Also my fears about the possible life span of the tail switch have so far been shown to be unfounded. I've spent a great deal of time testing the switch - clicking it as hard and as fast as possible, as well as as slowly and gently as I could. Not once has it threatened not to work - first time, every time.

The inside maintains the impression of quality, everything is well made and there are no visible defects in manufacture. The led is nicely centred - much better than the ARC LE - and is recessed a millimetre or two below the end which should give it more than adequate protection. The regulation appears to be very good - I've been running it with a 700mAh NiMh AAA since I bought it on the original charge and it still appears just as bright to me. NOTE: This is only an eyeball test as I don't own a light meter (yet).

The output of the led appears to be slightly brighter than the ARC LE - this could be the result of a better than average Rocket torch or a not particularly good ARC LE. The ARC has a whiter beam than the Rocket, but the Rocket is by no means the bluest "white" led I've purchased. The ARC LE does light up a slightly larger area than the Rocket Torch, with more peripheral light spill.

I haven't tested it to see if it's waterproof - there is a rubber sealing ring on the head section which bodes well, but I don't know if the tail switch would let in any water or not.

If this is indeed a copy, I have to say it's a good one, the tail switch really does make a difference to the ease of use (I'm not a fan of switchless flashlights). The only negatives are that it's longer than the ARC and noticeably heavier. It gives no indication at all of being a cheap "knock-off". I got both of these flashlights at roughly the same time and the Rocket Torch is the one I reach for every time.

Empath

Flashaholic

Thanks, Dirobesh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Mrd 74

Enlightened

Nice review Dirobech.I've been trying to locate one of these lights on this side of the pond but no luck yet.I have an Arc as well and can't say anything against it other than the fact it doesn't have a tailswitch.

arab

Enlightened

Dirobesh - your review was worth the wait!

Thanks - oh, and sorry for the impatience!

dirobesh

Enlightened

No worries /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif - sometimes we all need a kick up the backside.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

dirobesh

Enlightened

*** UPDATE *** The switch suddenly stopped working tonight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif (Do I hear a whispered "I told you so" in the background...?) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif