ANYONE USING A PILA GL4

shuter

Enlightened
Icebreak - I can hardly wait to check out the Pila with the Codex 2 module. I'll let you know how I like it for sure.

dudemar - Thanks for pointing me to the reviews of the Codex 3 module. I'll check them out.

shuter

Enlightened
I have the Codex 3 (for GL3), it's awesome but fell short of my expectations. If you'd like you can check out me and Luigi's reviews by using the search function.

I read the reviews. It sounds disappointing and I am now concerned about the ease of use of the codex.

Do you know what the difference is between the Codex 2 and the Codex 3?

I see the reviews are 9 months old. Maybe I am getting an updated model that has all the issues worked out :ohgeez:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're pretty much the same thing, only one's smaller than the other. IMO it's still a cool attachment, it just wasn't what I expected.:( It's as tough and durable as the lights themselves, and if need be it makes for a great clubbing device. As for its ease of use, you can easily program the Codex one handed. It's a shame there's only four program windows, you'd figure in this day and age you can fit a lot more memory into a small space.

Hopefully they will come out with a newer, more updated model soon. If I had to guess (or wish:D) it's coming out next year. Hopefully.:drool::tinfoil:

Dudemar

Last edited:

shuter

Enlightened
dudemar - Good thing you steered me to the Codex reviews. I checked out the differen't models GL 1 through GL4. I had orded a GL2 not realizing I needed the GL4 module. :eek: But....they had not yet shipped so I'll be getting the correct one.:D

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a good thing you were able to change your order on time! Let me know how the Codex 4 is when you get it, if you can take pics that would be cool too.:D

Dudemar

mdocod

Flashaholic
IMO the strength of the GL4 is not in the 4xCR123 configuration.. instead, taking advantage of it's larger bored body to accommodate a pair of 18650 (600P) size cells. And then running an appropriate "9V" style lamp assembly in it. I believe the EO-9L from lumensfactory will fit in the light, and it is rated 450 bulb lumen. Probably hardly noticeably different than the output of the "550 lumen" stock lamp. The GL4 is basically the Pila alternative to the Wolf-Eyes M90.