Anything less expensive than the Sharpmaker

Gatsby

Enlightened
that works somewhat as well for a sharpening newbie?

I don't need razor sharp but a good utility edge on my EDC knives and the kitchen cutlery as well...

But the close to $80 for the sharpmaker ... I'm having a hard time justifying...

1M1

Newly Enlightened
You know, for centuries people got by fine without all the sharpening "systems". Just something to keep in mind.

You should be able to find a Sharpmaker for $40 or so, BNIB, if not less. Who the heck is asking $80 for them?

Be that as it may, good old crocus cloth, e.g. 3M wet/dry sandpaper, laid on a piece of 2X4 works. Use a wood dowel for the "nasty" recurves.

Or, depending on the steel, standard carbundium stones and such do fine.

Lately, Ive been using a Fallkniven DC4 that I aquired for approx. $15 with good results. The DC4 is fine for smaller <4 inch knives.

Free hand sharpening is a skill that everyone should learn. Angles don't need to be precise, the angles just need to be maintained relatively constant as you sharpen.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure there are lots of good alternatives to the Spyderco Sharpmaker out there that work well if used properly, but the Sharpmaker is just so easy to use, and practically idiot-proof as far as sharpening systems go. A lot cheaper than $80 too, IIRC I paid aaround $50-60 for mine a coupleof years ago, and it has been worth every penny. Frankly I think it would be worth it at $80.

tazambo

Newly Enlightened
Hi Gatsby,

I bought a Sharpmaker for $58 (plus postage, plus our shitty exchange rate) from the USA from Lighthound.com (link below)
Consider yourself lucky you live in the US, everything is much cheaper for you guys.

My advice is that's it's worth every penny.
I've sharpened my kitchen knives, my Leatherman's, my edc knives and I still haven't gotten to all the scissors, the garden clippers, etc etc

And you say you don't need your knives razor sharp.....
All my knives from the Leatherman Micro to my Benchmade's pop hairs on my arm, it's really that easy to use.

Buy yourself one.

Regards
Dave

PS, here is the link
http://www.lighthound.com/Spyderco-Tri-Angle-Sharpmaker-Knife-Sharpener_p_6-1831.html

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Else they throw their edges against a belt sander before buffing them to a mirror finish :twothumbs .

Patriot

Flashaholic
I have had excellent results with Ceramic rods. Very effective on 440B @ RC 57-59 and D2 @ RC60.

I got mine here for about $20. Cheers.

http://www.knifeart.com/cerspeedrod.html

Those to work great for finish work too but it takes a long time to correct a very dull edge. I see the Sharpmaker as a real time saver. The fine ceramic also finishes to a slightly higher polish than any of my three sets of rods.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Free hand sharpening is a skill that everyone should learn.
Freehand sharpening is a skill that a few people are good at, which is why so many sharpening jigs have been sold for so long. I never could get a decent edge until buying the first jig (Buck, around 1970). Lansky 4-hone diamond is nice (about $60), as is the DMT Aligner Quick Edge Kit (around $35). IMO, both will do a better & faster job because the precise angle of the stone (or diamond lap) never changes.

http://www.lanskysharpeners.com/

http://www.dmtsharp.com/general/basicsharp.htm#knifesharp

Both are on eBay, Amazon, etc. Every knife I have is shaving sharp, something that never happened before the jigs.

I did learn to freehand grind twist drill bits. Took only six months to get sort of good, six months more to get really proficient. Spent probably two hours each day at the grinder. Some people don't need jigs - the rest of us buy one that works:D

Last edited:

Gatsby

Enlightened
Thanks for the opinions! The local brick and mortar store has the sharpmaker for retail - $80 - it looks like I need to dig around online.

It WILL be nice to have some of my favorites sharp again, not to mention the kitchen knives which are always difficult to keep like I like them.

guyg

Newly Enlightened
I've sharpened freehand for many years until I bought the Sharpmaker. I wont go back unless I dont have the SM with me.

Dirty Bob

Newly Enlightened
Until you get a Sharpmaker, try newgraham.com and browse their selection of sharpeners. Their prices are usually very competitive. You could also look at knifecenter.com as well. You may also consider freehand sharpening: just buying 400- or 600-grit sandpaper or emery cloth and using a strip of it with a firm, flat surface, such as a piece of Micarta or glass. Some use sandpaper on a mouse pad to create a convex edge.

I have a Sharpmaker, but I plan to use sandpaper to clean up the edges of my new Kellam, Eriksson and Frost's scandinavian knives. I'll switch to the SM for the final edge.

Scandinavian knives do away with the need for a guide, as you just lay the bevel right on the stone and sharpen. It seems weird at first, but it makes for a very sharp edge.

Regards,
Dirty Bob