ar-15 weapon light

aml

Newly Enlightened
Um, DUH?

I'm pretty aware of the whole advantages of .223

Some buckshot would probably be wiser, unless you don't care about bystanders

the point is, 223 has LESS penetration through building materials than other commonly accepted "self defense" calibers. 9mm, and buckshot included.

boosterboy

Enlightened
the point is, 223 has LESS penetration through building materials than other commonly accepted "self defense" calibers. 9mm, and buckshot included.

I feel dumb.

I will never see my AR the same way again, I can have my cake and eat it!!!

i knew that .223 was a better choice indoors than 9mm and .45ACP, but wasn't aware that it was better than buckshot.

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
"Better" in this instance is a fairly indistinct term. Many things come into play when choosing a home defense weapon. Long guns in tight spaces can be unwieldy, for instance. I will not go into this subject in this thread, as it is off topic. However, I would urge anyone who wishes to "go armed" to do lots of research and then practice (dry fire and range time) to the point of proficiency.

Illumination, which is on topic, is crucial to home defense. No one wants to inadvertently shoot their teenager who is sneaking back into the house at 2am or the neighbor kid doing something stupid. If you choose to not have a dedicated weapon light then the need for training with a light and weapon is even more important. Mastering the Rogers, Harries or FBI technique is critical to being able to defend yourself and your household.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think all Chinese made lights would be a bad choice.

I've used PILA and Wolf Eyes for years and never ever had any problems. The switches have been reliable for me. I've carried them on duty and dropped them, kicked them and had them skid across a parking lot.

Would I consider a light I purchased from DX ? :shakehead no way.

From most reports the Fenix T1 is generally good enough for home defense.

My carbine shown above is my on duty rifle as well as a home defense gun. I stoke it with 55 grain (department mandated) Hornady TAP and know it will have less issues than a pistol round in a home defense situation.

I run a PILA GL2 with CREE module on my Patrol shotgun and have absolutely no concerns concerning reliability

The form factor of these lights fits both my budget and needs.

ceramide

Newly Enlightened
...No one wants to inadvertently shoot their teenager who is sneaking back into the house at 2am or the neighbor kid doing something stupid...

Shooting your teenager at 2am?...yeah...ok, a tad suboptimal. Accidently shooting the neighbor kid doing something stupid? W-e-l-l-l...now that's more on the order of adding chlorine to the shallow end of the gene pool...:oops: