Arc bike light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darell

Flashaholic
Thanks for the bar-mounting tips everybody.

I needed to come back and add what NOT to do...and of course it just happens to be what I suggested a few posts up. DO NOT attach an Arc AAA with a magnet. I know this was brought up before, but I had no idea how severly a magnet effects the Arcs. You can just about reduce the light output to zero with a magnet.

I use magnets for my Infinities, with NO problem at all. I can't make the magnet effect the output no matter what I do. But with the Arc, there is no way to prevent the magnet from effecting it. And if I remember from earlier discussions, the lower output is due to a huge spike in current when the magnet is near - so don't think you're saving the battery by "dimming" it this way! Yikes. Sorry about that...

I really like that cycloblock, BTW, though the Shoe Goo sounds even more my style
grin.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
Darell,
I'm curious. How do you make use of a magnet on an aluminum cased flashlight?
confused.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Zactly what Aragorn says.

With a rare earth magnet, you can hold the light via the battery. But with the Infinity I also added the steel clip so I could position exactly where I wanted the magnet to hold it.

I just love rare earth magnets. Use 'em for everything!

JollyRoger

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:

I really like that cycloblock, BTW, though the Shoe Goo sounds even more my style
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks! hehe. I use both. Actually, on one ride I had my ARC LS in the Cycloblock holder (on when I needed more light) and the ARC LE in my Shoe Goo setup (on all the time for visibility).

I'm such a dork, huh?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JollyRoger:
Thanks! hehe. I use both. Actually, on one ride I had my ARC LS in the Cycloblock holder (on when I needed more light) and the ARC LE in my Shoe Goo setup (on all the time for visibility).

I'm such a dork, huh?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You haven't seen my wheelchair yet, have you?
smile.gif

I have the Light Cannon HID centered on the lower deck (above the foot pan) and the Arc-LS mounted on the steering arm using the mounting gizmo sold for the Pelican L1. Not to mention about 150 other ultra bright LEDs in every color of the spectrum in various other places on the chair.
smile.gif

JollyRoger

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The LED Museum:
You haven't seen my wheelchair yet, have you?
smile.gif

I have the Light Cannon HID centered on the lower deck (above the foot pan) and the Arc-LS mounted on the steering arm using the mounting gizmo sold for the Pelican L1. Not to mention about 150 other ultra bright LEDs in every color of the spectrum in various other places on the chair.
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe, I've seen it, Craig. I like it, too! I'm just calling myself a dork for not using my $200+ Niterider and putting up with the dimmer (but more fascinating) leds instead.
smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dark star:
[qb][..... But with the Infinity I also added the steel clip so I could position exactly where I wanted the magnet to hold it.....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
How many Infinities would it take to make a good bike light? 100? 200?[/QB]

Yeah, that's a bit off-topic. I use the Infinities on magnets for my reading lights in bed. I have a steel-tube headboard, so it works REALLY well with infinite adjustability. Nah, I wouldn't want anybody trying to actually illuminate anything with an Infinity
smile.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
how about using Lambda's Illuminator...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bushman:
One of these in use now for three days...
It is the only led light i have ever seen that will shoot a BEAM of light that is visible in the night sky.. Done in surburbia with all the light pollution on a clear night with no smog, fog or other air particulates except for that west texas dust!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

dark star

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> [..... But with the Infinity I also added the steel clip so I could position exactly where I wanted the magnet to hold it.....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
How many Infinities would it take to make a good bike light? 100? 200?

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a simple idea for a bike light. I have a great big CPU heat sink. When I get my next order of Luxeon Star's, I'm going to mount 2 on this heat sink, and make a bracket and mount this simple light to the handlebars. I'll just wire them up to 3 'D' cells, or a 4 AA battery pack I have, and put a 3 position switch; low, high, off. For illuminated city streets, the low beam would be fine to meet city laws concerning bike lights. When in dark areas, crank that thing up full, and light up the road! I'll make one for you if you want.

Wayne www.elektrolumens.com
grin.gif

Drakonchik

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
If you are talking about this thing: Nite Ize Lite Ride

I had one on a 4 day bike tour and it broke the first night! only the second time I had used it. And needless to say it was dark and I was trying to ride a bike and had 5 more miles to go

[/ QUOTE ]

Two out of six of those Lite Rides broke on me. I'd been using them to mount multiple Luxeon Star MagAAs to my handlebars. IMHO: avoid this product.

The last thing you need is a flashlight dropping off your handlebars and landing in your spokes, which didn't happen to me but might have.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wayne, would this be like the 3 1 watt LED bike light that I bought from you? It's pretty bright!

Status
Not open for further replies.