ARC-LS: dead in 20 minutes (or less)

Gandalf

Enlightened
Yes, my shiny new, multicolored ARC-LS, with the special violet LS module, and the battery cases which do not conduct electricity to the light head died today, after less than 20 minutes runtime.

Just a day and a half after receiving it, and while still trying various steel washers, and small wads of aluminum foil to get it to approximate some level of reliability, my ARC-LS light module died.
mad.gif
frown.gif
tongue.gif

I had compared the beam of the ARC-LS to my other LS flashlight, which I purchased for $25. The 3D cell conversion has a whiter, more even beam than the now dead ARC-LS had. The ARC-LS had a bit brighter beam, although a disgusting violet color, using the 123 battery case, or the 2AA case with lithium batteries, likely due to the fact that my 3D cell LS conversion has a light stealing lens protecting the LS module.
mad.gif
frown.gif
tongue.gif

My only complaint is that the light is simply too expensive to do what I would really enjoy doing: seeing how well it holds up to repeated rounds from my S&W Model 29-2; a vintage late 1970's 44 Remington magnum, now reduced to the lowly status of 5th or 6th most powerful (production) handgun in the world.

Just as Robert DeNiro felt better after being advised to "hit the pillow" by Billy Crystal in the movie "Analyze This", I think I would feel *much* better if I could 'hit' the ARC-LS. Sadly, I can't afford this, as $105 is pretty expensive to be throwing away.

But it's pleasant to think about, plus the fact I no longer have to spend endless hours trying to make the damn light *work properly*, at least *some* of the damn time.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gandalf:
My only complaint is that the light is simply too expensive to do what I would really enjoy doing: seeing how well it holds up to repeated rounds from my S&W Model 29-2; a vintage late 1970's 44 Remington magnum, now reduced to the lowly status of 5th or 6th most powerful (production) handgun in the world.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

Hi Gandolf, boy how disapointing...I like the gun idea...but maybe you should leave that to The Punishment Zone, Craigs always looking for new ways to test the durability...I would say a few nice words over the poor dead thing...put it in a little box and ship it off to the Arc co for proper burial.

Have faith in the Arc Co to make things right...they have the best customer service in the business and I`m sure you will be made happy.

it was and is obviously a defective unit, i dunno why you insist on trying to fix it yourself...send it back...send it back now before you hurt someone =P...

then again you prolly wouldn't see it again for a couple months, so maybe you should pop it a few times just as a good-bye wave...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sflate:
You definitely need help!! Just send it back already. It's dead - let it go.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So tell me *you* wouldn't spend a day and a half trying to fix a flashlight that you spent $105 on, and more importantly, waited 5 months for delivery. Yes, I'll be sending it back. Duuuuh.

But you don't know how satisying and fun it is to blow 44 caliber and 9mm holes into a VCR that cost two hundred dollars, but destroyed an $80 video tape, and after paying $35 for a repair estimate, finding out they want $150 to repair. I went home in a *much* better mood, after reducing tht VCR to pieces to small to further break!

No doubt about it, Gandolph-you've definitely had a bad flashaholic week (considering that other LRI light hat you also got this week with the bum LED in it)
tongue.gif
frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gandalf:
My only complaint is that the light is simply too expensive to do what I would really enjoy doing: seeing how well it holds up to repeated rounds from my S&W Model 29-2; a vintage late 1970's 44 Remington magnum, now reduced to the lowly status of 5th or 6th most powerful (production) handgun in the world.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't hold back shoot it!! Focus on your hate. Feel the anger flowing thru you. Now let loose and pull the trigger! You might still get your refund. It shouldn't count as INTENTIONAL flashlight violence if the light makes you so angry that you CAN'T HELP but shoot it.

So tell me *you* wouldn't spend a day and a half trying to fix a flashlight that you spent $105 on, !<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No I wouldn't...

"Lifes a dark ride"
have you considered counseling?

JMHO

frown.gif

well if Mr. Peter Gransee says he expects a 3% failure rate - or that 3% is the number to be prepared for - then perhaps it would be a good idea to keep that number of units set aside somewhere to replace those defective units when they crop up...
-- try to keep that sunny side up Gandalf!
smile.gif
rolleyes.gif

Whether it's a SureFire, or an ARC-LS, you have a right to be miffed if a light doesn't work.
Gandalf's post reads as if he's part annoyed, part amused.

I'm sure that Mr. Gransee will give the matter his full attention.

On the other hand, it's ONLY a flashlight ......

lightlover
shocked.gif
frown.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *something ridiculous ?:

On the other hand, it's ONLY a flashlight ......
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That`s just ridiculous...I can`t believe you said that! As punishment your high title of flashaholic is stripped away...you are hearby reduced to the shamefully low title of lightlover...untill you make up for this horrible sin.

Note: To attain obsolution and be forgiven by the forum for your crime...you must buy another flashlight and give a reveiw of the new light. Upon completion of this task your high title of flashaholic shall be restored.
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted the Led:
well if Mr. Peter Gransee says he expects a 3% failure rate - or that 3% is the number to be prepared for - then perhaps it would be a good idea to keep that number of units set aside somewhere to replace those defective units when they crop up...
-- try to keep that sunny side up Gandalf!
smile.gif
rolleyes.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had no idea that the ARC-LS was expected to have such a high failure rate. I don't know if that makes me feel better, or worse; since 3% of my fellow flashaholics will be in the boat with me... On the other hand, if it was a lottery, I'd be a winner!