Are EAGLETAC Lights Designed In the USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagletac lights are Made in China. Their lights are imported into America. I'm sorry, but to me (and I suspect to many other CPFers) that means Eagletac lights are not American lights. They are not put together by Americans, no one on CPF can travel to part of America, and ask to tour the plant where Eagletac models are made.

I'll drink to that.

Also, it's not an unfortunate necessity that your product has to be Made in China in order to make money in this business. True, some Streamlight models are Made in China. But what about Surefire and Inova? Or smaller companies such as First-Light USA? You don't need a product-line made overseas to be competitive.

good point.

AbnInfantry

Newly Enlightened
Nope. Not confusing the two. My earlier post was regarding Eagletac, the flashlight company making lights in China.

How can you not be confusing the two? :thinking: Your earlier post stated:
I get the impression that the store in Georgia is just there so the company can claim to be based in America.

EagleTac (the flashlight manufacturer) doesn't have a "store in Georgia." The Georgia address is for EagleTac-Store.com, David Chow/4Seven's business which is an independent entity not owned by the EagleTac company. EagleTac is based in Chandler, Arizona and imports flashlights from China. When and where did EagleTac (the flashlight manufacturer) claim to be "based in America" because of anything related to Georgia (rather than their office in Arizona)? What am I missing here? :thinking:

Eagletac lights are Made in China. Their lights are imported into America. I'm sorry, but to me (and I suspect to many other CPFers) that means Eagletac lights are not American lights.

No one in possession of the facts ever suggested EagleTac (or Olight, Fenix, Jetbeam, etc.) flashlights were manufactured in the USA. The topic of this thread is where EagleTac lights are designed. The company and its dealers claim its products are designed in the USA. I presume David Chow in Atlanta is behind the design of 4Sevens brand flashlights but they're still manufactured in China.

I'm at a bit of a loss here. Eagletac designed the circuits from scratch? Here, in America? The reflectors too? How exactly do you design a reflector from the ground up?

There's nothing stopping you from going to EagleTac's website, clicking on "Contact us" and sending them an e-mail with your questions. Or writing them at their Chandler, AZ address.

It would be tough to argue that Eagletac is an American company when their product-line is all Made in China.

I'm pretty sure Hewlett-Packard (headquartered in Palo Alto, CA) is considered to be "an American company." I can't recall any HP product I've bought in the past 25 years which was manufactured in the USA. The Samsung products I've purchased were made in China and Mexico. Does that mean Samsung is not a Korean company in your opinion? EagleTac never claimed it was manufacturing anything in the USA. Would you really be happier if their company HQ was located in China or India instead of Arizona? I don't own any EagleTac product but I don't see where they're doing anything deceptive.

Flashlight_Bug

Newly Enlightened
There's nothing wrong with Made In China. Everything's made in China today. My Sony Ericsson phone is made in China. So is my Motorola. My little girls' Fisher Price toys were all made in China (I threw them away after the lead-in-paint scare). What bugs me here is this: Why do Eagletac flashlights which are designed in Arizona, USA, look, feel and work just like most other made in China lights? Maybe there's an error on the boxes. Maybe it should have read: Designed in AHLEESONA, a small town in Guangzhou Province, China. Just kidding.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not see what the big deal is here folks. A lot of American and other companies have their products made in other countries. Eagletac (and other companies) do it because of cheap labor. The lights would cost a lot more if they were made in the US and they would sell less of them. Just compare the prices of Eagletac's line with Surefire's. If Eagletac made their lights here, the pricing would be similar, maybe a bit lower. Either way, they would not sell as much. Yes....they are designed here in the US...and yes...they are made in China. Eagletac has not advertised them in any other way.

recDNA

Flashaholic
There's nothing wrong with Made In China. Everything's made in China today. My Sony Ericsson phone is made in China. So is my Motorola. My little girls' Fisher Price toys were all made in China (I threw them away after the lead-in-paint scare). What bugs me here is this: Why do Eagletac flashlights which are designed in Arizona, USA, look, feel and work just like most other made in China lights? Maybe there's an error on the boxes. Maybe it should have read: Designed in AHLEESONA, a small town in Guangzhou Province, China. Just kidding.

There is ONE thing wrong with made in China...it doesn't employ Americans in the manufacturing process. As more and more of the big coorporations move their manufacturing and customer service overseas more and more Americans are unemployed or underemployed.

I'm happy Eagletacs ARE designed in the USA. It was 50% of my attraction. I'd be even happier if they were manufactured here.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
I'm still confused where the company claims the product is 'designed in USA'. I couldn't find it on the website, but regardless I don't think this is the crux of Monocrom's point.

The issue surrounding the origin of the company and their products is more complicated than just employing Americans. The three most clear cut examples we see in CPF are:

Company A is 'based' in the US and employs Americans to produce a product to sell to foreign consumers, there is a net cash flow into the US. Foreign consumer pays US manufacturer for a good/service.

Company B is 'based' in a foreign country, manufacturers the product in a foreign country, and imports it through a dealer into the US. There is a net cash flow out of the US. The US dealer or importer might make a few bucks off the top, but essentially the money flows out of the economy.

Company C is 'based' in the US and outsourcing to foreign manufacturers to produce a product to sell to US consumers, there is a net cash flow out of the US. US consumer pays foreign manufacturer for a good/service. Company C acts like the dealer/importer in the second scenario, and some of the management overhead money stays in the US, but that's not much compared to the cost of manufacturing. They might even design the product here, employing an engineer or two and perhaps sending them to oversee the production.

All three companies put Americans to work, but only Company A really adds to the US economy.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm at a bit of a loss here. Eagletac designed the circuits from scratch? Here, in America? The reflectors too? How exactly do you design a reflector from the ground up? There's textured, there's smooth, and then you have the half & half design. (Olight was the first company I saw using that one). Not really sure how Eagletac can claim a new reflector design.

The texture of the reflector is not the only component to its design; the main part is the shape, which is the biggest factor affecting the beam quality, and how much throw/spill there is. Reflectors are parabolas, and changing the shape of the parabola changes the focal point, changing the focus. Changing the shape will give a more or less focused beam, which is a major design aspect of lights (possible the biggest, since all you see of the light at night is its beam). Saying that you can't design a reflector from scratch is completely ridiculous, since Eagletac obviously did. Look at the M2X, which has a reflector that is specifically designed for emitters that are exactly as far apart as those on the M2X. They could not have simply taken this reflector from some other light, since the dimensions would not be applicable to the M2X.
I have to say that my T10L has a very good beam pattern, and not many CREE lights compare with it. Someone had to design the reflector to do this, and it seems like Eagletac does a better job than most.

recDNA

Flashaholic
The texture of the reflector is not the only component to its design; the main part is the shape, which is the biggest factor affecting the beam quality, and how much throw/spill there is. Reflectors are parabolas, and changing the shape of the parabola changes the focal point, changing the focus. Changing the shape will give a more or less focused beam, which is a major design aspect of lights (possible the biggest, since all you see of the light at night is its beam). Saying that you can't design a reflector from scratch is completely ridiculous, since Eagletac obviously did. Look at the M2X, which has a reflector that is specifically designed for emitters that are exactly as far apart as those on the M2X. They could not have simply taken this reflector from some other light, since the dimensions would not be applicable to the M2X.
I have to say that my T10L has a very good beam pattern, and not many CREE lights compare with it. Someone had to design the reflector to do this, and it seems like Eagletac does a better job than most.

Not so good on the T20 C though.

CGD08

Newly Enlightened
The Case for EagleTac Inc. (contents r funny)

Hello all, my name is Roshal and I'm new to CPF! I've read Candle Power Forums before as a guest, I just never thought I'd register, but it seems to be worth it!

I'd like to share some funny images and minor concerns revolving around EagleTac. (SKIP to next para if you already know about EagleTac) EagleTac as we all know is a rather new company, and they claim their lights are "The Best Built Flashlights in the World". Needless to say I've got my eye on the T20C2 w/ RGB kit. They build some impressive optical equipment. Some people are concerned that EagleTac is a Chinese company posing as an American one. This is not my claim. Quite a few of their lights look like Fenix lights, and the T20C2 looks strikingly similar to the Olight M20. Hopefully the apparent lawsuit Olight filed against EagleTac will go through alright.

I'd like to know more about the case. Anyhow you already know that stuff. On their site I found several simple mistakes in English. But it wasn't Engrish, just mistakes, scattered across the site. Some are quite funny.

Their homepage looks so sick, clean, streamlined, and media rich! Just look at it!
homepage.jpg

Look again
home.jpg

All rights reversed? As seen on the EagleTac homepage. :crackup:

ex2.jpg

Example 2. All rights reversed can be seen on many of the sites pages. :ohgeez: Simple mistakes, they must've been tired. It happens.

contact.jpg

The information given is for an OFFICE in AZ, US. The company only maintains email communication, and I have yet to see any phone number(s). :thinking: But IMHO I can understand they may not have the time, manpower, or money for phone numbers since they're a startup company. They HAVE to make they're lights in China, or else they wouldn't be able to compete or survive the market and competition. And man does their stuff look awesome! :thumbsup:

generalrun.jpg

One of three runtime graphs for the EagleTac T20C2. General is misspelled. The light's runtime in General mode is a laughable 14-15 minutes. Obviously it should be hours instead. :lolsign:

800%20N..jpg

Note the 800 N.; "800 N." is a road, not an address on a road. The office could be anywhere on this road. Or it's non-existent? idk.

Just thought I'd share. Don't bother contacting them, I already sent one or two emails about the corrections needed :rolleyes:

All in all please don't take this the wrong way. I have nothing against EagleTac lol. I believe, it is an honest American company and I agree with what PhantomPhoton and Mjolnir said on another feed about EagleTac designs.

Check out the site for yourself to see the mistakes. I didn't make this up lol ;) EagleTac rocks, even though I don't have one. But my next light will certainly be one. Again, I really want a T20C2 but if they release a Mark II or better, I'll feel a little disappointed. Just under $100 is still a big investment for me; I'll be a freshman at University of Cincinnati this fall :broke: haha need I say more? Anyhow, it will be awhile until they release a Mark II anyway. First post YAY!

:thanks:
:bumpit: If you wish :)

Fight the Order

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Good to have a product mostly made in the USA, and not bad that a company like EagleTac started up a company that has some roots in the USA. Startup's can have a diffficult time making it and the ability to have a product fabricated overseas can allow them to get their feet wet, so to speak, and maybe down the road become more USA oriented, production wise. Also, we are not seeing a lot of new made in USA flashlights, the exception being our own wonderful CPF'ers who make that venture, like Don, Enrique, Photon Fanatic, Grancee, RobinS, and Dave, to name a few.

Bill

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'd really LOVE an M2XC4 but it's just too much money for me to justify. I already have a TK40 that fills that niche. I just wish I could think of some reason to justify spending $150 for a light that won't really get a lot of use. Plus I'm saving up for the Quark MC-E...but I really want that Eagletac and NOBODY can claim the M2XC4 is a copy of ANYTHING.

I'm not rooting for Olight to win any suit if there is one.

I contacted Eagletac about the fact you couldn't register the T20C when I got mine and they responded immediately and updated the registration page.

Last edited:

Flashlight_Bug

Newly Enlightened
Hope this tread does not turn out to be Eagletac bashing. Technically, Eagletac lights are good. In terms of brightness, they are up there with Fenix, jetbeam and the other main manufacturers. Brighter? To the naked eye, not really. Tested the T20C2 SMO againts my Dereelight R2 dropin in a SF M2. Throw is almost the same. Brightness is the same, too, when bounced in a dark room. But, for the price we are paying, the Eagletac is worth it. However, the important issue here is why are all Eagletac lights (except M2) coming out from the factory looking almost like the other Chinese lights if they are really "Designed in Arizona", as stated on the cardboard packages? Where is the American creativity, innovativeness and originallity? Not to say Chinese lights are bad but there are so many of them in almost similiar shapes, using similiar emmiters and having similiar UIs. Why can't Eagletac design models that are different from the rest? And the motto "The Best Built Flashlights in the World", please do a torture test first. The M2 series, although unique is certainly not ergonomic. Although they are heavy, they are not tough. And the big cheap plastic clickie tailcaps are really just afterthoughts. The most unique aspect of the M2 series has got to be the fact that the lights are held together by tiny screws. Come on, Eagletac. Give us real "American-designed" lights. Maybe that means putting more American minds to work. By the way, why is the nylon holster I got with my T20C2 looking so much like the one I got with my TK-11, albeit a bit longer?

Marduke

Flashaholic
I seem to recall some excellent detective work nearly a year ago when Eagletac first came out amid much controversy and someone researched the documentation for the physical location of the office. I recall the business license being registered to a company based in China, which is NOT what you would expect for a truly American based company being manufactured in China.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any chance that the Eagletac is started by a Chinese American, then production is moved to China?

So its technically based in the US, but literally speaking, its just as Chinese as the Fenix and Olights.

Not sure how you guys feel, but that's what I'm smelling.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
However, the important issue here is why are all Eagletac lights (except M2) coming out from the factory looking almost like the other Chinese lights if they are really "Designed in Arizona", as stated on the cardboard packages? Where is the American creativity, innovativeness and originallity?

Out of all the hundreds of different chinese lights out there, someone still had to choose which models E.T. patterned their designs after. N.T.M. coming up with that idea in the first place. Those decisions are probably made in Arizona, by an American.

:mad:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Saying that you can't design a reflector from scratch is completely ridiculous, since Eagletac obviously did. Look at the M2X, which has a reflector that is specifically designed for emitters that are exactly as far apart as those on the M2X. They could not have simply taken this reflector from some other light, since the dimensions would not be applicable to the M2X.

A valid point.

When the issue of reflectors came up, I thought of Eagletac's product-line; as a whole. Rather than one specific model. With regards to that one model, you are correct. But I doubt Eagletac used a new reflector design for their products across the board.

My main point is that although Eagletac is owned by Americans, although design aspects might come from Americans; the company itself produces products in China. Imports those products into America. And, many of their products resemble lights from two well-known companies in China. Based on that, I don't see how Eagletac itself can be considered an American company.

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagletac is no different than 4Sevens (the new flashlight brand, not the dealership itself). If you followed the Quark threads from the beginning, you could see exactly how a light is designed in the USA and made in China. I'm sure all it takes is an idea and some good software for it to be designed here in the US and there are many aspects to design, reflector dimensions, emitter type, UI, well just go to the 4Sevens forum in the Marketplace and start reading on the Quark if you haven't followed the posts on them. It's clear that the Quarks were designed by an American, 4Sevens and they were made in China. But the Quarks still don't look absolutely origninal, in fact the sort of look like the Eagletac P100's, but in reality they are very different.

I'd be interested to hear 4Seven's input on this whole matter.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once again, lots of American companies have their products made in China, or other overseas markets. They are still American companies. Isnt HP American? When was the last time you saw a computer , printer, or any piece of computer hardware made in the USA? How about Levis? Their stuff is made in Mexico, China, etc. They are still an American company. The days of products being made in this country in a large scale is gone with the wind folks! Some companies are still doing it, but if they get into financial problems where their products are not selling, how do you think they are going to lower costs? I think a lot of American companies outsource because they are just plain greedy. That is the driving force behind our businesses.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Once again, lots of American companies have their products made in China, or other overseas markets. They are still American companies. Isnt HP American? When was the last time you saw a computer , printer, or any piece of computer hardware made in the USA? How about Levis? Their stuff is made in Mexico, China, etc. They are still an American company. The days of products being made in this country in a large scale is gone with the wind folks! Some companies are still doing it, but if they get into financial problems where their products are not selling, how do you think they are going to lower costs? I think a lot of American companies outsource because they are just plain greedy. That is the driving force behind our businesses.

Can't speak for others, but I don't consider such companies to be American. If you have a corporate office in America, but the vast majority of your products are made in a foreign country; your company isn't American. Your products are not made by American workers. American workers don't receive a paycheck from your company. Thus, your company does little or nothing to help the American economy.

Not going to go into the moral aspect of a company that engages in such a practice. Not my intent. I own lights from various Made-in-China Brands. I'd part with some of my Surefire models before I give up my Tiablo A9S.

Status
Not open for further replies.