Are these safe?

fatboy

Newly Enlightened
I bought a pair of CR123's (house brand) from Walgreens and spent 8 or 12 bucks for my new P2D Rebel. I was in shock!

Just grabbed 20 cr123s for $20. I'm feeling much better.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?p=2129147

I'm reading around here to "stick with the name-brands". I want my gun to go boom, not my light. Now I'm not sure I feel so warm and fuzzy.

I know there are differences in Ni-Cads. Goes to show how dated my knowledge is.

I thought a battery was a battery until I started hanging out around here, thanks guys!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Are those Fox International CR123 cells made in America?

If they are, you shouldn't have much to worry about. If they're made in China, the most appropriate place for them is in the garbage. When you see threads on CPF about CR123-based lights exploding, it's usually the cells made in China.... with very poor Quality Control.

Personally, I only use Surefire or Duracell brand. We're not talking about a pair of jeans. This is one area where name brands mean a lot.

If you want to save money on CR123 cells, the best way to do so is to buy a case of Surefires. A case of 12 will run you just under $2.oo each.

mdocod

Flashaholic
when we say "stick to the name brands" that doesn't mean you need to have your waste expulsion hole reamed out to a larger diameter by a local vender. Buy quality brands from online sources. SureFire cells are about $1.75 each online and are considered among the best. You can also find Duracell, Energizer, Sanyo, Streamlight, and Panisonic cells online all for around or well under $2 per cell from various sources.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battry Station has a good deal on CR123s for CPF'ers here. Thats where I stocked up for my G2.

fireblast713

Newly Enlightened
I think it's safe to use them, but in the future I'd probably spend a little more $$$ for some quality cells if you're concerned. If you're going to trash them I'll take em :)

Jay T

Enlightened
In Chine one can find modern high quality cells being manufactured using the latest technology. Also in China one can find cells being manufactured with no quality control in some backward facility using 1930's farm equipment.

When you purchases the cheapest batteries you can find where do you think they were made? Do you feel lucky?

With AW's cells he has made the effort to weed out the lower quality cells to make sure what he sells lives up to his name. When you buy cells of some unknown brand how much effort have they put into preserving their name?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
.... When you buy cells of some unknown brand how much effort have they put into preserving their name?

If something does go wrong, they just close up shop, change the name, and open up their "new" battery-making business a few days later.