Are we losing our humor?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
Might want to take a look at Rule #6 about "Whining and Complaing about the rules" as well.

I have no problem with the rules. I am not complaining about the rules.

"The rules exist in order to keep things running smoothly and to maintain the atmosphere that you all enjoy when you come here looking for information or to share information."

Underline mine.

Greta

Flashaholic
EngrPaul... I'm sorry that you seem to have taken my post and the new rule personally... as if it was aimed directly at you. Timing is everything, I suppose... :shrug:

The truth of the matter is that I receive many complaints about the Practice Forum and all of the seeming "fluff posts" in there. I got up this morning at about 4:30 and lo and behold there was yet another complaint. You copied my words "...to maintain the atmosphere that you all enjoy..." ... well... there are over 23,000 members registered on CPF. That's alot of "you all's". And yes, there is alot of frustration when I get these complaints and I go to check them out and find that indeed, there are more "fluff posts" than actual practice and/or test posts.

I guess that, to me at least, it is just common sense that a forum that is clearly titled "Practice Forum" is for just that... practice. But again... the truth of the matter is... that it's not just the Practice Forum where people tend to lose what I consider to be common sense and "fluff" post. It happens all over CPF. And the other Admins, Moderators and I get many complaints a day on many of them. We have to address every single one of them in one way or another.

You see... the majority of the members of CPF don't know what all goes on behind the scenes on CPF. They don't know of the many emails we get every single day from members hitting the "Report Post" button. They don't know of the other emails and PM's that we get addressing some issue or another that a member has. And these come in constantly. We deal with them. And yes... we get frustrated.

So how could I have worded the new rule better? .... so you wouldn't have taken it so personally?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps the CPF is a marriage of sorts in that our intentions and posts can have greater impact than we realize and sometimes we, simply, misunderstand each other. That, and timing can be everything, as you've mentioned. Some of us are particularly talented in being in the wrong place at an inauspicious moment - just ask my wife.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sasha, thanks for chiming in. At 4:30AM I might have posted the same way.:whistle:

My post was about a trend, not just about your post. I gave the specific example after people were talking like I meant humor as joking around or funny.

Without saying, it's your forum, and your choice of words as you wish.

Be well and see you around. :)

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
New Practice Practice Forum

The truth of the matter is that I receive many complaints about the Practice Forum and all of the seeming "fluff posts" in there. I got up this morning at about 4:30 and lo and behold there was yet another complaint. ->
:rant:

If only we could have, uh, say some kind of place, like a forum but not quite, an unimportant place where we could go to practice posting and make our dim bulb mistakes away from the bright light of the actual forums. I can picture it but don't quite know how to explain it .
:whistle:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
this is what ya all have to keep in mind we all are difernt each and everyone of us has are own way to post a way we act and things we enjoy one post to ya may be usleess but to another they may like it. .thats why i try to like everyone here. sure i can find flaws in a lot of people or post but i rather look for the good in em.but that is just me.i looki for the good in people or try to

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul, I don't think it's all in your imagination. Perhaps it all comes from the almost inherently obsessional nature of those participating in CPF?

(As evidence, "You spent how much on that thing?" or "How can you possibly say Li-ion is better than NiMH?" etc)

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie33 said:
this is what ya all have to keep in mind we all are difernt each and everyone of us has are own way to post a way we act and things we enjoy one post to ya may be usleess but to another they may like it. .thats why i try to like everyone here. sure i can find flaws in a lot of people or post but i rather look for the good in em.but that is just me.i looki for the good in people or try to
Raggie, posts like the one above make me glad you're around.

Perhaps some of the humor has faded because of the money at stake: after all, lights can be expensive and we don't want to waste our cash.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
TigerhawkT3 said:
Perhaps some of the humor has faded because of the money at stake: after all, lights can be expensive and we don't want to waste our cash.
That's a good point. It seems LED technology in particular is improving so quickly at the moment that no sooner have we bought something than it's only half as bright as something we could have got.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best post of this thread - by Sasha.

Funniest post of this thread - without a doubt, by 270. Thanks for the LOL.

DM51

Flashaholic
People horsing around with a few jokey posts in the Practice Forum? Guilty, your Honor. I've done it too, just like EngrPaul and others. But if jokey comments are considered "fluff posting", then what about the hundreds of posts throughout the rest of CPF saying nothing but "+1", or with just a smilie or two and no text? Do those ones really add to the sum of human knowledge or, for that matter, humor? Don't they clog up the forum far worse than jokey comments?

Out-of-date threads and posts in the Practice Forum could easily be deleted by admin staff if bandwidth space is so crucial. That could probably even be done automatically, after a test thread had been there for say a week, or a month, or whatever is considered sufficient.

But what is almost incredible about all this is that Sasha has received a whole lot of complaints about fluff posts in the Practice Forum. What kind of saddo spends his time scouring the Practice Forum, of all places, looking for posts he can complain about to Sasha?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
DM51 said:
But what is almost incredible about all this is that Sasha has received a whole lot of complaints about fluff posts in the Practice Forum. What kind of saddo spends his time scouring the Practice Forum, of all places, looking for posts he can complain about to Sasha?

Good point!

Greta

Flashaholic
DM51 said:
... then what about the hundreds of posts throughout the rest of CPF saying nothing but "+1", or with just a smilie or two and no text?

From my post above...

Sasha said:
... that it's not just the Practice Forum where people tend to lose what I consider to be common sense and "fluff" post. It happens all over CPF. And the other Admins, Moderators and I get many complaints a day on many of them. We have to address every single one of them in one way or another.

Does that answer your question? ;)

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about simply deleting posts in the "practice forum" every week? After all they are just for practice and not needed to be saved. Maybe they could be set to delete automatically after seven days. Wouldn't this put an end to the accumulated fluff?

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Gee, I think for a free service, CPF is great. I've learned a lot in the last four years or so on CPF and I don't mind a bit if it's down for a while. Wait a bit, and presto!, it's back like magic thanks to Sasha et al. The next time you light up your favorite EDC, think about CPF.

Empath

Flashaholic
I'd think that this thread still being open (at least presently still open) and it's originator still being around, is evidence of our humor. At least it's evidence of our tolerance for what some may regard as humor. At times it's difficult to draw the line between some types of trolling and some types of joking.

Latest posts