Are we losing our humor?

Greta

Flashaholic
LowBat said:
LOL, I admit I didn't read everyones postings.

That's ok. It would appear as if DM didn't read my post either. Thus the necessity for me to quote myself to reply to him. Tit for tat and all that... don'tcha know... ;) :D

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
270winchester said:
27 years, wow. You must have been working under the visionary supervision of Mr Gore.:lolsign:
I'm guessing you know that Al Gore (as much as I like him) had nothing to do with creating the Internet. That's a bit of Urban legend based on a sort of bungled (maybe intentionally politician style) statement made in an Interview on CNN(?) years ago. But I was one of the early nerds/hackers into the online scene in by 1979-80 (ever seen a 110 baud or 300 baud modem? - and that's NOT 110 kilobaud) and then working in a school district computer department we had Internet access before there were even web browsers (just Telnet, Gopher, Eudora etc.). So yeah that's really 27 years I've been online. Sorry I MAY have lost the HUMOR on that one as I'm not sure if you were teasing me about being around so long that I must have been working under Gore OR if you thought Gore actually had something to do with the Internet. If you thought Gore invented the Internet than :laughing:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I was Gopher'ing when there were only a handful of Gopher servers out there. 110 baud?
I remember a 47 baud current-loop modem for a stock ticker service!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i will also say i dont envy the mods there are rules they must enforce to try to keep us all getting along .i couldnt do it. so i say we all just look for the good in this forum the kewl lights that have came from are memebrs the kindness we have shown to each other. the funny sigs and avs some of us have. and are love for lights

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
matrixshaman said:
But I was one of the early nerds/hackers into the online scene in by 1979-80 (ever seen a 110 baud or 300 baud modem? - and that's NOT 110 kilobaud)

300 baud modems were high performance at one time. Anyone else remember using an acoustic modem?

Still remember the thrill of handling one of the early 10 MegaByte hardrives available for the IBM PC - probably around 1982. The realization that I was holding, right there in my own hands, 10 whole MegaBytes of readily accessible storage was just totally awesome.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
ringzero said:
300 baud modems were high performance at one time. Anyone else remember using an acoustic modem?

Still remember the thrill of handling one of the early 10 MegaByte hardrives available for the IBM PC - probably around 1982. The realization that I was holding, right there in my own hands, 10 whole MegaBytes of readily accessible storage was just totally awesome.

Yes I had an acoustic modem and may still have it hiding around here somewhere. And full height 10 Meg 5¼" hard drives - had several of those. But how about an IBM hard drive with a half dozen 14" diameter platters in a clear plastic case that ran about 5 Megabytes. I'll have to put a pic up of that one - probably weighs about 50 pounds. Here you go with a Surefire L4, Arc LS and Fenix P1 sitting on top for size comparison:

hdisk1bb5.jpg

hdisk4rw3.jpg

hdisk5yb1.jpg

Picture that along side a 4 Gigabyte USB pen drive now and it makes me want to giggle when I think about how much that IBM drive probably cost.

Last edited:

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having just read the above comments about the practice posts I need to hold my hands up high, guilty. Having practiced posting a pic of a funny road sign (for Rob/Orbs worldwide raws post), a couple of members replied, one giving advice on taking a better pic. The other knew the sign post and the area! I never intended to break the rules, I was just trying to be friendly and polite.
Sasha - Sorry, I'll try to be more careful in the future.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
DM51 said:
Matrix, you can't fool me. That's an old 1950s style jukebox you have there.

I must be losing my humor :poke: :grin2: - I can't tell when DM51 is pulling my leg so a closer look :

hdisk8jt3.jpg

:D :laughing:

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
thats is the coolest picture i have ever seen the hardrive i mean . rofl imagine a mp3 player. would weigh 2000 tons back then

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was concerned that some bad vibes were going around. Unfortunately they are contagious.

"We" in my question includes myself.

I hope tolerance and cheer continues at CPF. :)